Asissted Suicide Bill 2015 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Asissted Suicide Bill 2015

Guest Extreme0

Guest Extreme0

Next week will have MSPs discussing and either allow or denying the Asissted suicide bill to go through or not from stage one

Fingers crossed. Long overdue. My life - my choice. The dementia issue is being overplayed by those opposed to the bill.

Can't see how anyone who has sat and watched a loved one die in complete pain can even consider being opposed.

Guest Extreme0

I hope it passes as well.

I also want to see those ####ers from 'Suffer not killing' start crying as well. Bunch of wide-eyed idealist morons.

Edited by Extreme0

Fingers crossed. Long overdue. My life - my choice. The dementia issue is being overplayed by those opposed to the bill.

Can't see how anyone who has sat and watched a loved one die in complete pain can even consider being opposed.

I'll second that statement. Having watched my natural mother suffer from ms for years till the last couple of years were spent in bed not able to feed herself, barely able to communicate (we understood her as we were used to it) and yet we have folk that say she had quality of life. Would like to see how much quality they would see if it was them instead of her.

Don't get me wrong I'm not for a total open free for all but there has to be an avenue to let assisted suicide happen without fear of prosecution

Saw a good friend waste away from pancreatic cancer back in 2005 with absolutely no hope of any cure. A guy who had boxed heavyweight for the army screaming in pain and reaching for his oxygen tank and constantly shooting up with morphine to ease his pain?

In situations like that and from what I saw, would happily tell the 'right to life' fraternity to shut the up in these situations and allow families to show a bit of dignity and allow their loved ones to end their suffering in peace where there is no hope of cure.

That should be the persons choice

Yes- my fear is that it wouldn't be. If assisted suicide becomes the cultural norm then palliative care will become questionable from an economic perspective. Why waste money keeping someone alive for another 6 months? It just seems like an awful easy way to ease pressure that the ageing population will have on the NHS.

Yes- my fear is that it wouldn't be. If assisted suicide becomes the cultural norm then palliative care will become questionable from an economic perspective. Why waste money keeping someone alive for another 6 months? It just seems like an awful easy way to ease pressure that the ageing population will have on the NHS.

I don't think that will happen. And for this to pass policies should be put in place to stop it. I can't ever foresee attitudes changing so much that we as a society are comfortable killing off old people in order to save money.

If folk want to exit this mortal coil - let them.

And, if those that feel the need to assist - as long as there is a clear, legal exit strategy - why not?

We don't keep beasts alive when they are fuqqed.

Just my humble opinion, BTW.

Should be allowed. Watched a couple of family members waste away to nothing, bed ridden for a couple of years unable to move, horrible to see and probably worse for them, especially when their head can very much be in it but their body isn't.

This has apparently become the top method in Asia. Yet to catch on in the west as much. If I had to top myself this would probably be the route I go down...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal-burning_suicide

There was a story fairly recently about some guy who killed himself and his family (I think one kid survived) because he foolishly took the dying embers of their BBQ into their tent to keep warm. It is ing lethal.

I've not heard of any cancer patient who wasn't in agony in their final days even with the morphine ramped up to maximum. Anyone who's lived through that (thankfully I haven't but people close to me have done it) would advocate assisted suicide. But it's easy to see why someone who hasn't experienced it or is a bit religious might think otherwise.

Part of the problem lies with palliative care in hospitals. In hospital they're obliged to keep the patient hydrated or they risk being exposed to all kinds of blame and lawsuits. The problem is that hydration does nothing except prolong the lives of these people who are in agony and just want to be gone and in some cases it can make things worse. There are alternative approaches to palliative care that involve taking the patient home, keeping up their drugs and not hydrating them. This lets their body go naturally and more peacefully but still, a lot of the people want to go before that. I don't see why that should be denied to them.