Are You A Seat Reclining W***er? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are You A Seat Reclining W***er?

You're all regular flyers so I'm assuming there are no seat recliner w**kers here....but

Recently I had a couple of long haul economy flights with a sh*te airline so I was able to observe some terrible seat reclining behaviour. There are some ignorant c***s out there. Everyone knows that reclining your seat is for sleeping purposes. If you need to sleep put the seat down. If you're not sleeping, put it back up. If they're serving food, put the seat up. It's basic politeness for the people behind you.

The couple in front of me both put their seats back as soon as the plane was up and never put them back up until the flight was going down. They weren't sleeping, they just wanted more space to cuddle and watch their films. As soon as I tried to put my seat back a little bit to escape having the guy's hair gel in my mouth I was getting those subtle punch and knee thrusts to the back of my seat from the guy behind who, when I checked, had his own seat all the way back. He was probably an even worse c**t.

There seems to be a difference between people on different airlines. Passengers on BA, Air France, Emirates etc. seem to be more educated about it. The staff on those flights even make people put the seat up at meal times. But this time on Air Europa (low cost long haul flights from Spain...) and previously on Thomson *shudder* this kind of behaviour was rife.

So is it just a 'class' thing and am I a snobby cockwomble or is it a real problem with the lack of education of economy passengers? Are you all a bunch of ignorant seat reclining wa**s?

Edited by thewelk

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did they say when you asked the couple in front if they might not mind putting their seats up because it was inconveniencing you?

I'm British, I don't say anything. I vent after.

Actually it was a practical problem since the couple were Spanish and I'm not afraid to admit that my Spanish is embarrassingly basic. And the Spanish have worse English than the French so...

I don't really get this. Other than at meal times and take off/landing everyone has the right to recline their seats as and when they want. I always try to be mindful of the person behind me and won't slam the seat back like some do as I don't want the person behind me getting a cup of coffee or glass of claret in their laps bit it's a hell of a lot more comfortable on a 6 or 7 hour plus flight if you can lie back a bit as opposed to sitting bolt upright the whole journey. If that makes me a seat reclining w*nker then so be it!

I don't really get this. Other than at meal times and take off/landing everyone has the right to recline their seats as and when they want. I always try to be mindful of the person behind me and won't slam the seat back like some do as I don't want the person behind me getting a cup of coffee or glass of claret in their laps bit it's a hell of a lot more comfortable on a 6 or 7 hour plus flight if you can lie back a bit as opposed to sitting bolt upright the whole journey. If that makes me a seat reclining w*nker then so be it!

Are you short? I have long legs and find it infuriating when people do it. On a par with noisy eaters in the cinema for me.

Claret?

Claret?

Who TF serves Claret and why do I not know about this?

Didn't the Cabin Crew have any language skills that they might have deployed on your behalf?

Less than you'd imagine. But I'm not taking responsibility for other people's ignorance. And who am I to ruin their holiday of a lifetime before it's even started?

I hindsight I probably should have been that annoying moaning English guy but I wasn't. I'm just hoping they'll read the tamb and learn.

I always carry a spot welder with me in my hand luggage and as soon as I sit down I weld the seat in front so that it can't be reclined.

On Easyjet you can't recline the seats any more, although they are actually at a comfortable angle and knee room is suaully fine.

Are you short? I have long legs and find it infuriating when people do it. On a par with noisy eaters in the cinema for me.

Aye I'm not overly tall so maybe that's the difference.

Claret?

Claret?

Who TF serves Claret and why do I not know about this?

It was easier to type than cabarnet sauving savign merlot.

Less than you'd imagine. But I'm not taking responsibility for other people's ignorance. And who am I to ruin their holiday of a lifetime before it's even started?

I hindsight I probably should have been that annoying moaning English guy but I wasn't. I'm just hoping they'll read the tamb and learn.

A sound strategy.

If you put your seat back you're a selfish-fud. Pretty simple. Everyone knows how uncomfortable air-travel can be. Deliberately making others less comfortable is shite patter.

If you put your seat back you're a selfish-fud. Pretty simple. Everyone knows how uncomfortable air-travel can be. Deliberately making others less comfortable is shite patter.

So I should be made to feel less comfortable to accommodate you? Surely that's just as selfish?

short haul seats should not recline. fixed. long haul thats a different matter as we all like a wee nap long haul.

speaking of which did anyone hear on the rangers v hibs match the other night when the camera caught dave king yawning - the commentator said "ah, touch of jet lag there possibly".

FFS, where do they get these guys from?

So I should be made to feel less comfortable to accommodate you? Surely that's just as selfish?

You should both be equally uncomfortable. Unless you decide to pay more than him. Capitalist society.

I think there should be a button on the back of each seat to push the seat back again. At least then you've got a bit of negotiation happening.

short haul seats should not recline. fixed. long haul thats a different matter as we all like a wee nap long haul.

speaking of which did anyone hear on the rangers v hibs match the other night when the camera caught dave king yawning - the commentator said "ah, touch of jet lag there possibly".

FFS, where do they get these guys from?

I agree on shorthaul flights which I would class the likes of flights to Europe as. Longhaul for me is flying to places like Dubai, USA, Asia and onwards. I don't think I've ever reclined my seat going to Spain or France or the likes.

I agree on shorthaul flights which I would class the likes of flights to Europe as. Longhaul for me is flying to places like Dubai, USA, Asia and onwards. I don't think I've ever reclined my seat going to Spain or France or the likes.

In that case you are a fairly considerate flyer...

oh and did you like the dave king bit? Jet lag - from SA?

You're all regular flyers so I'm assuming there are no seat recliner w**kers here....but

Recently I had a couple of long haul economy flights with a sh*te airline so I was able to observe some terrible seat reclining behaviour. There are some ignorant c***s out there. Everyone knows that reclining your seat is for sleeping purposes. If you need to sleep put the seat down. If you're not sleeping, put it back up. If they're serving food, put the seat up. It's basic politeness for the people behind you.

The couple in front of me both put their seats back as soon as the plane was up and never put them back up until the flight was going down. They weren't sleeping, they just wanted more space to cuddle and watch their films. As soon as I tried to put my seat back a little bit to escape having the guy's hair gel in my mouth I was getting those subtle punch and knee thrusts to the back of my seat from the guy behind who, when I checked, had his own seat all the way back. He was probably an even worse c**t.

There seems to be a difference between people on different airlines. Passengers on BA, Air France, Emirates etc. seem to be more educated about it. The staff on those flights even make people put the seat up at meal times. But this time on Air Europa (low cost long haul flights from Spain...) and previously on Thomson *shudder* this kind of behaviour was rife.

So is it just a 'class' thing and am I a snobby cockwomble or is it a real problem with the lack of education of economy passengers? Are you all a bunch of ignorant seat reclining wa**s?

1) I typically put my knees up to allow folk to recline, but not to fully recline into my face

2) If they fully recline, i make sure to give their seat a dunt each time i move around, go to toilet

3) At meal times, if they dont have the courtesy to put their seat up, I ask the Cabin Crew in a loud voice to request them to put their seat up

4) I never ever fully recline my seat, always just an inch to break the straightness, and i turn round and tell guy behind me, that i am going to be reclingig

I flipped once and thumped my fist on seat ahead couple years back - we were all having our meals, and this bitch in front of me fully recline her seat with no warning, and my full drink got jammed bettween recliing seat and table, and spilled all the drink over me

Couple flights back - i was amazed this woman let her kid fully recline her seat back into my face, when he was only around 3-4 feet tall