Ireland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully today are voting to legalise same sex marriage. Polls indicate YES will win . . . But the older population or the silent majority could win the day for no . . .

Pretty sure it's the first country to ask people to vote on this

Hmm, sounds familiar (apart from the polls indicating a Yes win).

I suspect Yes will win. Ireland is every bit a diverse, modern, western European country nowadays. And unlike here, their population is relatively young, which lessens the chances of the auld farts tipping the balance the other way.

I was a bit surprised that it went to a public referendum though. A know it is a coalition government in Ireland at the moment, so maybe there are issues with having the legislation passed. The cynic in me says that the government is abdicating responsibility for making a big decision.

I was a bit surprised that it went to a public referendum though. A know it is a coalition government in Ireland at the moment, so maybe there are issues with having the legislation passed. The cynic in me says that the government is abdicating responsibility for making a big decision.

Any change to the Irish constitution requires a referendum. That law is the reason the Irish had referenda over the Nice/Lisbon treaties, while most (maybe all?) of Europe didn't.

Hmm, sounds familiar (apart from the polls indicating a Yes win).

I suspect Yes will win. Ireland is every bit a diverse, modern, western European country nowadays. And unlike here, their population is relatively young, which lessens the chances of the auld farts tipping the balance the other way.

Apparently it has gone to a referendum because it requires a change to the constitution. Nae idea why though. I guess their constitution must have some weird stuff in it?

Apparently it has gone to a referendum because it requires a change to the constitution. Nae idea why though. I guess their constitution must have some weird stuff in it?

Aye, it talks about marriage as the foundation of the family.

Somewhere in the constitution it refers to marriage between 'man and a woman', which needs to be changed to 'two people'.

...or something along those lines

Edited by thewelk

Any change to the Irish constitution requires a referendum. That law is the reason the Irish had referenda over the Nice/Lisbon treaties, while most (maybe all?) of Europe didn't.

Somewhere in the constitution it refers to marriage between 'man and a woman', which needs to be changed to 'two people'.

...or something along those lines

Thanks for that lads, it makes a bit more sense now.

It still seems strange that something like that should be included in a country's constitution though, but then then the Catholic church did (does?) have a massive amount of influence on life in Ireland. I mind watching a documentary about Irish music a few months ago which featured Sinead O'Connor, who said Ireland went from being colonised by the British to being colonised by the church.

Thanks for that lads, it makes a bit more sense now.

It still seems strange that something like that should be included in a country's constitution though, but then then the Catholic church did (does?) have a massive amount of influence on life in Ireland. I mind watching a documentary about Irish music a few months ago which featured Sinead O'Connor, who said Ireland went from being colonised by the British to being colonised by the church.

Yep, the political leaders post-independence (the ones that weren't shot during the rebellion!) were very catholic, zealous even.

The church was given a 'special position' in the constitution until the 1970s. It wasn't until 1993 that being gay was finally decriminalised.