Ireland - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm slightly confused as a good few years ago I went to a friends wedding in Dublin to his same sex partner - assumed it was a legal ceremony but I guess it was just a declaration of them being together - was one of the best weddings I've been to with some cracking food and dink and a lovely setting in the old schoolhouse just down the road from the Aviva!

Maybe we can do it all again ten years on!! :ok:

TT

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm slightly confused as a good few years ago I went to a friends wedding in Dublin to his same sex partner - assumed it was a legal ceremony but I guess it was just a declaration of them being together - was one of the best weddings I've been to with some cracking food and dink and a lovely setting in the old schoolhouse just down the road from the Aviva!

TT

That was a civil partnership.

The No campaign have been saying that gays are already treated equally thanks to the civil partnership laws that were brought in (in 2011 i think). The Yes camp say that's pish and there are 160 areas of law where they're not. I dunno who is right, and haven't bothered looking into it cos i don't have a vote.

Thanks for that lads, it makes a bit more sense now.It still seems strange that something like that should be included in a country's constitution though, but then then the Catholic church did (does?) have a massive amount of influence on life in Ireland. I mind watching a documentary about Irish music a few months ago which featured Sinead O'Connor, who said Ireland went from being colonised by the British to being colonised by the church.

I think it's pretty much a case of that the church used to have a huge influence. as Dave78, church and state were pretty much linked until the 70s and I'm sure that still hangs on with a lot of older people.

I lived in Dublin in 1990/1 and I was amazed at how different things were and the impact that the church still had on the population.

i remember being fairly shocked that divorce was illegal at that point and although I had then moved away.

The impression I get is its a very different country now.

Only Northern Ireland legally oppose same-sex marriage on these islands. Only a matter of time?

Not for as long as those loyalist bigots have sway in Stormont. Their First Minister himself has a well documented history of homophobia.

I think it's pretty much a case of that the church used to have a huge influence. as Dave78, church and state were pretty much linked until the 70s and I'm sure that still hangs on with a lot of older people.

I lived in Dublin in 1990/1 and I was amazed at how different things were and the impact that the church still had on the population.

i remember being fairly shocked that divorce was illegal at that point and although I had then moved away.

The impression I get is its a very different country now.

It is a very different country and this vote just reaffirmed it

TT

Was there a lot of dinking that night ?

Not for as long as those loyalist bigots have sway in Stormont. Their First Minister himself has a well documented history of homophobia.

Its another thing they can use to differentiate themselves from the south so they'll use it. Lovely part of the world ruined by a large proportion of mentalists.

Why can folk/ministers no just let folk get on wi things whether they are gay, straight, bi, whatever. I know it's a bit of a liberal view, but it's not as if the day after they legalise it, they're go be knocking on the ministers doors tae shag them.

Why can folk/ministers no just let folk get on wi things whether they are gay, straight, bi, whatever. I know it's a bit of a liberal view, but it's not as if the day after they legalise it, they're go be knocking on the ministers doors tae shag them.

Do you really have any certainty about that? Can anyone really be certain about anything? Do you trust that Salmond to deliver on his guarantee to not let the gays bugger the ministers? Can you take that risk? Plus you might lose your pension and be deported. Vote NO for certainty.

This whole question for me begs another question altogether, why can't people mind their own fkin business?

Human nature

Some minister is quoted as saying to yes voters to respect the feelings of no voters because it's a "disaster" for them.

Bizarre that what a couple does could be described as a disaster for other people

Will there ever come a day when we are not told how wonderful it is to be gay? I am looking forward to that moment and perhaps then we will have true equality. In this I mean LBGT issues won't even feature on the news every single day of our lives. What boring lives we hetrosexuals have to endure every day.

Will there ever come a day when we are not told how wonderful it is to be gay? I am looking forward to that moment and perhaps then we will have true equality. In this I mean LBGT issues won't even feature on the news every single day of our lives. What boring lives we hetrosexuals have to endure every day.

I agree with that. Being gay myself, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Ah, the "Why do these gays have to be so out and proud ?" patter. The polite way to express homophobia.

Love between two men together or two women together is a wonderful, beautiful thing and completely natural. What's the problem there ?

Look out your window, do you see any rampaging gays and lesbians enforcing this supposed agenda of there's on the public at large ? No.

There are still plenty of religious nutcases alive today in the UK who view being gay as sin. Funnily enough one anti-Catholic, homophobic hate group that was marching in Glasgow in their fancy dress costumes at the weekend like to ignore the fact that their iconic hero was gay.

It was only about ten minutes ago really in the grand scheme of things that homosexuality was legalized in the UK. Take a look at the long list of countries across the world particularly in Africa and Asia where even this very day, being gay can see you blacklisted, imprisoned or even executed. We still have a very long way to go.