Away Friendlies - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Away Friendlies

EddardStark

I could probably afford to go to every home and away game in the campaign if my work schedule allowed it, but it doesn't so I wont be.

The point I was making is a lot of our fans cant afford to and don't have that option.

SFA

Shafting Fans Again

It would be interesting to play a nation like Turkey, Greece or Bosnia. Nations we haven't played for a while (in Turkey's case not since 1960 !)

Strachan will probably learn more about his players and get his ideas across better if we just had a few training squads of about 30 players which includes a couple of the more promising lads from the Under 21s.

Unless we get the opportunity to play good/new opposition, we should play the bare minimum of friendlies.

It would be interesting to play a nation like Turkey, Greece or Bosnia. Nations we haven't played for a while (in Turkey's case not since 1960 !)

Strachan will probably learn more about his players and get his ideas across better if we just had a few training squads of about 30 players which includes a couple of the more promising lads from the Under 21s.

Unless we get the opportunity to play good/new opposition, we should play the bare minimum of friendlies.

For a while now I have had the feeling that Strachan does not really care for friendlies, but will use them from time to time.... but he will not do them "randomly", and given the choice a training camp is something he would rather have.

He will not pick someone because it looks interesting from a fans point of view or because we have not played them for a while.... he scraped the Malta friendly in May 2013 (SSC staff in Brussels were all saying that game was signed off and a case of dotting the i's and crossing the t's, and to be announced the following week), turned down friendlies time and again since then (most with good reason... ie the South American pre-WC tour... not wanting to take a weakened team all that way to play a full strength side going into the World Cup on a high).

England game was booked before he was manager, but I suspect that was the kind of game that lights his fire, but he is not stupid enough to have a constant fixtures list like Vogts did of playing top 15 nations one after the other.... but Strachan is also smart enough to know that getting a nation on the fall that we would have a chance of beating is important (ie like the Norway game... granted the venue was probably not what he was hoping for, but thats out of his control).... so I doubt we will get random trips to back of beyond under Strachan, but plenty of games that once they sink in you think "yeah, I can see why he went for them!".

I fully expect a game in March (more inclined to say a game at Hampden, given we will have went well over a year since our last Hampden friendly) and June I am in two minds about.... part of me thinks a game would be good, but part of me expects Strachan to bin any plans for one (like he did before the two Croatia games and the Germany game).

Think Denmark have the same match scheduling as us in the qualifiers so a game v them makes sense and would be a good test for Ireland and Poland later in the year.

Same goes for N Ireland, and given their win on Sunday would be good opposition just b4 Rep game.

For once it would seems like good work from the SFA.

Think Denmark have the same match scheduling as us in the qualifiers so a game v them makes sense and would be a good test for Ireland and Poland later in the year.

Doesn't really count for anything.....

Ireland are playing England a full week before our game in Dublin, and think Strachan will have at the front of his mind trying to avoid a situation where they have more rest time than us between games.

So opens up for playing teams who are using the other windows for games at the time.