Charles Kennedy - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No cause of death given, but reading between the lines on what commentators are saying and the few facts known - ambulance called first then police attended - its sad to say that it looks as if he may have taken his own life.

Jeez. That's even worse in some ways. Everyone has their demons.

With the exception of him being a Unionist , I agreed with the rest of his politics. Seemed a decent man (unlike the one on this thread showing a lack of common decency). My daughter was editor of the Glasgow uni newspaper when he was president or rector - and she had nothing but good to speak of him in her various dealings with her. At a function when she was sat next to him - he even gave her his drinks vouchers - joking that's he's best not use them with his reputation.

If there was to be one Lib Dem MP remaining in Scotland - Id much rather it had been him - gracious speech in defeat. I wish he'd been on our side in the referendum - a big character in politics - world's a sadder place for his passing.

Whit's he done?

In an interview with BBC News, Mr Salmond said: “Yes, he was an extremely generous human being. I have had one or two, but not many, people who had a bad word to say about Charles, and that’s very rare in politics. In terms of the independence referendum, I don’t think his heart was in the ‘Better Together’ campaign.

"His heart would have been in a pro-European campaign, that’s a campaign that Charles would have engaged in heart and soul. That is something he absolutely believed in.

“He was an interesting, complex character, but above all an outstanding communicator. But, a fine human being.”

He also added that the House of Commons was the "worst place in the world" for an alcoholic to work in.

He also added that the House of Commons was the "worst place in the world" for an alcoholic to work in.

If it's that bit that is upsetting folk, the first interview I heard from Clegg, he was also going on about alcoholism. Is he getting the same treatment?

I think too many folk these days just are just looking for a reason to feel offended.

What is it that Salmond has said people are objecting to?

Kennedy was a talented politician, a principled man, and a decent human being. He was an old-fashioned Social Democrat who was contemptuous the dishonesty of New Labour, a fierce critic of the Iraq war, and totally against the Lib Dems coalition with the Tories. A sad loss, he would have been an effective campaigner against the Tory Right and UKIP over the next couple of years, and on a personal level must be heartbreaking for his family.

Edited by Pool Q

Unionist commentators seem to be able to bring the level of conversation down to the gutter yet are lauded by their colleagues for sticking one on anyone from the indy side that speaks. Can you imagine what they would be like if we had won the bloody referendum?

Anyone who watched Charlie's appearances on the likes of This Week could clearly see his views of Better Together in the run up to the referendum and if he was still here he would admit it

Thats not saying he wasnt a Unionist and neither was Salmond

Edited by Ally Bongo

Pretty sure I read a couple of months back that his father had died. Lot for him to come to terms with if that is correct, plus his election defeat.

Reckon most people on here are in accord that he was a decent guy simply because he was a decent guy. Through previous work channels I met him on three or four occasions and his principles spoke for themselves. No time for his party but I was genuinely sad to hear this news.

Anyone who watched Charlie's appearances on the likes of This Week could clearly see his views of Better Together in the run up to the referendum and if he was still here he would admit it

Thats not saying he wasnt a Unionist and neither was Salmond

I don't think there is anything that Salmond said that isn't true however, he's experienced enough to know how something can be twisted and spun.

Aye definitely better unsaid. When I heard salmond was getting stick for saying something my initial reaction was "is that it" when I read what he actually said. He said a lot of positive stuff about him but the media will unfortunately focus on the other stuff

From what I can see it's not the Better Together bit that he's getting stick for, it's the pro European part. It's being argued that he's politicising the death of a reasonably popular politician, and I'd agree with that.

Edit: I'm going by reaction of public rather than media, the only media source I've seen was Massies article which in itself was in rather poor taste.

Edited by Scunnered

No cause of death given, but reading between the lines on what commentators are saying and the few facts known - ambulance called first then police attended - its sad to say that it looks as if he may have taken his own life.

Think people are just trying to create the headlines and discussion without any solid facts. An ambulance and police on scene is standard practice when someone dies in their house, irrespective of the cause.