Full Fiscal Autonomy - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Full Fiscal Autonomy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it's because the SNP oppose a full Independent enquiry into the effects that FFA would bring. The IFS concluded that it would mean cuts galore and a financial back door... But they're about as impartial as a Celtic fan in a The Rangers thread. I'd have thought the SNP would have welcomed the chance to have a different viewpoint, but apparently not.

Edit: Financial back door? Minds in the gutter... Black hole of course.

Edited by Scunnered

Simply because they don't want us to control our economy and know exactly how much we contribute/bring in.
They know that FFA is just a little step from full Independence.

It's like a someone controlling their partner by having all the money in their hands.

Haven't the media/BritNats spent the last week telling us that the SNP have bottled it and wouldn't ask for it?

They misinterpreted Tommy Shepard... Well I think they misinterpreted him, others disagree.

Edited by Scunnered

What would be the likely borrowing arrangements under FFA?

Every time FFA is mentioned, it is highlighted that there would be a £7.6bn black hole but there is little or no mention that there is a UK-wide 'black-hole' of £70-80bn (?) which seems to go unnoticed.

I believe it's because the SNP oppose a full Independent enquiry into the effects that FFA would bring. The IFS concluded that it would mean cuts galore and a financial back door... But they're about as impartial as a Celtic fan in a The Rangers thread. I'd have thought the SNP would have welcomed the chance to have a different viewpoint, but apparently not.

Edit: Financial back door? Minds in the gutter... Black hole of course.

As I understand it, the SNP oppose a 'full independent enquiry', simply because it wouldn't be 'independent'.

All these economic think-tanks have a political agenda behind them, no matter how 'independent' they propose to be.

As I understand it, the SNP oppose a 'full independent enquiry', simply because it wouldn't be 'independent'.

All these economic think-tanks have a political agenda behind them, no matter how 'independent' they propose to be.

That's a mental position to take when the plans are so heavily scrutinised.

That's a mental position to take when the plans are so heavily scrutinised.

Maybe so, but there's little to be gained by having an 'independent' enquiry that simply be wouldn't be independent. These economic think-tanks are merely political tools, and as far as I can see almost all of them pursue a rabid right-wing agenda that is hardly going to be kind to the SNP's economic plans.

The only comments I've seen from a left-wing economic think-tank in the last year...which commended rather than criticised the SNP's economic policies....were either ignored or rounded upon in the media as the work of communists, tree-huggers and other supposed nutters.

It doesn't seem to be much of a level playing field to start off with.

Edited by Rossy

Maybe so, but there's little to be gained by having an 'independent' enquiry that simply be wouldn't be independent. These economic think-tanks are merely political tools, and as far as I can see almost all of them pursue a rabid right-wing agenda that is hardly going to be kind to the SNP's economic plans.

The only comments I've seen from a left-wing economic think-tank in the last year...which commended rather than criticised the SNP's economic policies....were either ignored or rounded upon in the media as the work of communists, tree-huggers and other supposed nutters.

It doesn't seem to be much of a level playing field to start off with.

I don't think I've ever seen a left winger compliment the SNP on economics, do you have a link? Would be interesting to read.

Someone explain to me why it's being described by BritNats in the same horrified tones as a combined plague of locusts, boils and large, smelly jobbys.

snp want it so it must be shhite...

I don't think I've ever seen a left winger compliment the SNP on economics, do you have a link? Would be interesting to read.

I didn't say 'left winger', I said a 'left wing think tank'....as opposed to the normal right wing mouthpieces that are quoted daily in the media.

It was the lead story in The Scotsman/Herald a couple of months ago. If I can find it, I'll post it...

Agreed! In part, but as with independence it's whether it's viable in the short term while we remove the SNP! :)

The SNP will be removed after Independence..

But wont be before 2024/25 when the Option will be 5 more years of Boris or an Indy Scotland ...

Katy could even be prime minister if she 'lowers' herself to stand for Holyrude .. and lead a left wing party...

What would be the likely borrowing arrangements under FFA?

Every time FFA is mentioned, it is highlighted that there would be a £7.6bn black hole but there is little or no mention that there is a UK-wide 'black-hole' of £70-80bn (?) which seems to go unnoticed.

Indeed.

FFA is about more than just paying our bills, it would enable Holyrood to stimulate the economy in other ways. For instance, a modest increase in the minimum wage would increase the income tax take and in turn reduce the amount spent on tax credits.

Edited by scotlad

I think much is underestimated by particularly the professional middle classes in Scotland about what FFA would mean in practice... right now all the thousands of jobs to support tax collection, civil service, infra-structure, government departments etc are in London. They would be in Scotland. It would have a massive positive impact on our economy not only because of the transfer of jobs themselves but the people who cut their hair, sell them lattes etc....

Today we seen the full force of what the SNP are up against

Is it just a coincidence that on the day the SNP submit their amendment to the Scotland Bill for FFA/FFR , Oil revenues are downgraded by 94% ?

Radio Scotland news was an absolute disgrace so much so that i couldnt be bothered watching Reporting Scotland as i guessed what would be it's headlines

They dont even seem to care now that their reporting can be seen for the biased bile and lies that it is and it's going to be like this ad nauseum for months

I probably read this somewhere at some time but does anyone know what percentage Scotland's deficit would be against GDP with this £7.6bn deficit, the blackhole that everyone keeps banging on about compared to the UK with its £100bn deficit?

Edited by Lamia