*******official Post Match Reaction Thread******** - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

*******official Post Match Reaction Thread********

brant grebner

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy to say when watching a replay but did you think it was going over in real time? I'd rather my goalkeeper took no chances. Shocking defending at the corner (and the officials not spotting Walters being offside) was to blame for the goal not Marshall tipping a header over the bar.

I thought that on Live Tv ; looked like he was helping on its way over as it was over the bar

Just looked bizzare at the time

I also though Brown and Marshall were excellent.

Agree with most of your points but not this. Thought Broony had one of his poorest games in dark blue. Looked like the Irish targetted him a bit in the first half and it seemed to unsettle him.

Easy to say when watching a replay but did you think it was going over in real time? I'd rather my goalkeeper took no chances. Shocking defending at the corner (and the officials not spotting Walters being offside) was to blame for the goal not Marshall tipping a header over the bar.

Was at the other side of the pitch so couldn't really tell. Not trying to blame him, as you say we didn't defend the corner well enough as a team.

I am happy with 4 points from 2 games against Ireland because November game could have finished 0-0 or 1-1, and Saturday's one could have finished 1-0 to them, especially with how badly we played for the vast majority of the game...

With most of it being very good?

No player is going to get everything right 100% of the time. They were bad goals to lose, but i think on the whole, our defending has been decent.

Should of been more specific

The penalty box stramash scenario

Lots of bodies ; ball needs to be cleared pronto

High ball ; crosses etc

Hence the Germany comment

Hutton was easily beaten to the header that led to corner for the goal

Should of been more specific

The penalty box stramash scenario

Lots of bodies ; ball needs to be cleared pronto

High ball ; crosses etc

Hence the Germany comment

Hutton was easily beaten to the header that led to corner for the goal

I agree.....however my point is we have defended well on the whole with some mistakes thrown in.

Since when was Alan Hutton's Arial ability his main strength? A guy like him will win some and lose some when it comes to headers.

Let me put this another way. Since Strachan took over, how many games has the opposition had 5, 6, 7 clear cut chances to score against us? I do take your point mate, but I think you are either being very harsh or just plain unrealistic to think that footballers won't make the odd mistake. We look very organised just now IMO.

I'm much more concerned with our firepower at the other end tbh. When it really comes to it, will we have that match winner during a tight game in Georgia or at home to Poland.

I agree.....however my point is we have defended well on the whole with some mistakes thrown in.

Since when was Alan Hutton's Arial ability his main strength? A guy like him will win some and lose some when it comes to headers.

Let me put this another way. Since Strachan took over, how many games has the opposition had 5, 6, 7 clear cut chances to score against us? I do take your point mate, but I think you are either being very harsh or just plain unrealistic to think that footballers won't make the odd mistake. We look very organised just now IMO.

I'm much more concerned with our firepower at the other end tbh. When it really comes to it, will we have that match winner during a tight game in Georgia or at home to Poland.

We haven't got any firepower with fletcher and Naismith

Am likely harsh and possibly unrealistic ; problem is being brought up with players who command the box aerially ; some of the Sclaffs and unforced errors now are worrying

Agree with our attacking options ; but at same time this team seems to have goals I'm them ; esp away from home ( which used to be a huge problem)

The big question is. Would you have taken 11 points from 6 games before a ball was kicked? I'm sure just about all of us would have jumped at it if we were offered 9 points from 3 home games + draws away to Poland and Ireland.

The big question is. Would you have taken 11 points from 6 games before a ball was kicked? I'm sure just about all of us would have jumped at it if we were offered 9 points from 3 home games + draws away to Poland and Ireland.

Without a doubt, especially when we were one of the first teams out last qualifying campaign

There's absolutely no doubt that in terms of performance it was a point gained but in terms of the chance that was there it was two dropped. It's pretty much all been said but hopefully that's the end of Strachan's strange Ritchie obsession. I think he actually did reasonably well defensively at times but there's no comparison between him and Anya in terms of attacking threat. And again, Robertson should play if he's fit, has the ability to be our best left back for years.

Perhaps what I'm most disappointed about though is we seemed to accept a draw from midway through the second half and didn't look to build on getting back into the game so early after the restart. I honestly think they were there for the taking with a wee bit more ambition.

I'm quite interested to hear what Aiden McGeady's post match reaction would be....

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/aid-i-was-right-to-choose-irish.15839070

Still feeling this way?

Yeah I'm quite sure he is

No doubt he was well aware that we won't qualify for every tournament.

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Probably yes, but I would also have taken 13!

We haven't got any firepower with fletcher and Naismith

The fact that Gordon sticks with them and my opinion as well it is clear they are by far the best options we have at the moment. Besides Strachan has got a good deal of the midfield weighing in with goals who play as attacking midfielders - players like Maloney and Anya.

The fact that Gordon sticks with them and my opinion as well it is clear they are by far the best options we have at the moment. Besides Strachan has got a good deal of the midfield weighing in with goals who play as attacking midfielders - players like Maloney and Anya.

Didn't you get the memo that forwards need to score the goals? A forward helping a team score goals is useless and must be replaced immediately.

Didn't you get the memo that forwards need to score the goals? A forward helping a team score goals is useless and must be replaced immediately.

Yes is that the memo that says regardless of whether they get a decent supply of chances then they still must be scoring themselves regardless of setting up countless goals. Got it. :ok::wink2:

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Probably yes, but I would also have taken 13!

I'd be willing to bet that quite a few would have taken 10 or even 9.

Many didn't think we'd get anything in Poland and then look how many were predicting a draw at Celtic park with Ireland and a defeat away.

I would certainly have taken 11 points and happy that we are doing well and right in the mix.

We had about 10-15 mins of good football the whole game (right after the goal). We do look a good wee side at moments. I don't know if it was Ireland romping up their physicality and pressure, us shiting it/a bad day from us, and Gordon's tactics. It was very clear from the 70th minute after our wee spell, he was happy with the draw.

The goal was most certainly offside, but then Maloney's strike was going wide so fortunately for us they did even themselves out in this case.

If you gave the option of us being 3rd with it all techinally in our own hands with 4 games to go. I would have taken it. It looks also on paper that we have the best run in - our two hardest games will be at Hampden, Gibraltar should be 3pts I'll take 1-0 now. It's that other away game I'm concerned about it.

It was much of what you said weekevie. Wrong team selection had us looking disjointed in the first half when we were very poor but in all honesty we were fairly comfortable until they scored. The second half was an improvement but still not the best. However, the type of football Ireland play coupled with the tension and importance of the match and it was never going to be pretty to watch.