Back To Black - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm sure the Scottish Government will provide figures to justify their decision. Although unless they're the first EVER to make Reaganomics work... Again you'll be super glad I'm far too humble to say "I told you so".

So, you don't know.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never claimed too. What I do claim to know is that the Scottish Government cut public spending by £500m and I'm absolutely appalled.

What about the record £12 BILLION that will be invested in the NHS in 2015-2016 ?

Or the £330 million for schools and £140 million for colleges plus £51 million to protect teacher numbers ?

Or the continued freezing of council tax ?

Or the continued free prescriptions ?

Were you that appalled when you voted Labour at the GE knowing if they were in power in Scotland most or all of these would be reversed ?

What about the record £12 BILLION that will be invested in the NHS in 2015-2016 ?

Or the £330 million for schools and £140 million for colleges plus £51 million to protect teacher numbers ?

Or the continued freezing of council tax ?

Or the continued free prescriptions ?

Were you that appalled when you voted Labour at the GE knowing if they were in power in Scotland most or all of these would be reversed ?

1. That should be applauded.

2. I wouldn't laud the Scottish Government on schools, their record has been appalling particularly on further education.

3. I oppose the freezing of the council tax and back the ssp's call for a local service tax. Local authorities are being starved of funds.

4. I both benefit and am hindered by free prescriptions. One of my medications is unavailable to me due to local authorities having discretion on what drugs can be prescribed. If I lived 6 miles over in Renfrewshire I'd receive the drugs I need. It's welcome but needs much improvement.

1. That should be applauded.

2. I wouldn't laud the Scottish Government on schools, their record has been appalling particularly on further education.

3. I oppose the freezing of the council tax and back the ssp's call for a local service tax. Local authorities are being starved of funds.

4. I both benefit and am hindered by free prescriptions. One of my medications is unavailable to me due to local authorities having discretion on what drugs can be prescribed. If I lived 6 miles over in Renfrewshire I'd receive the drugs I need. It's welcome but needs much improvement.

Could you not just move hoose and get the added bonus of a better MP?

See Scunnered they're your pals till you think differently.

Interesting that everyone including myself know next to feck all about Chinese current socio-economic models, but folk are incredulous China is mentioned, since they have no facts to formulate an informed opinion, i wonder what it is that is informing them it is a bad idea, beyond "it's china".

It's not a debate it's unveiling who shouldn't be entering debates, if an informed one is what you want.

I think a lot of us would be annoyed if Westminster took x amount of money from public services and used it for small business. While I think helping small business is good, there's no justification for cutting money to public services

They are not taking money from public services to put into small business are they though ?

Interesting that everyone including myself know next to feck all about Chinese current socio-economic models, but folk are incredulous China is mentioned, since they have no facts to formulate an informed opinion, i wonder what it is that is informing them it is a bad idea, beyond "it's china".

It's not a debate it's unveiling who shouldn't be entering debates, if an informed one is what you want.

I'm sure we would all agree that the Chinese economy / culture / history etc is so vastly different to ours that comparisons are pointless (don't think that requires massive knowledge of China).

I'm sure we would all agree that the Chinese economy / culture / history etc is so vastly different to ours that comparisons are pointless (don't think that requires massive knowledge of China).

Considering we've been trading with the Chinese since the Ming dynasty in the middle of the 17th century i'm pretty sure you wont reach consensus.

Maybe not directly but they are still cutting public services assuming this is true, which is something no anti austerity party should be doing.

They get a budget from Westminster

Public Service cuts are the knock on effect from required increase to NHS spending

They get a budget from Westminster

Public Service cuts are the knock on effect from required increase to NHS spending

That's an interesting choice of words. They get a block grant from Westminster, the Scottish Government form a budget. The Scottish government chose to cut public spending by £500m while providing £615m in tax relief to small businesses. Now I'm no expert, but I can see a clear way to avoid public spending cuts without interfering with proposed NHS spending :)

That's an interesting choice of words. They get a block grant from Westminster, the Scottish Government form a budget. The Scottish government chose to cut public spending by £500m while providing £615m in tax relief to small businesses. Now I'm no expert, but I can see a clear way to avoid public spending cuts without interfering with proposed NHS spending :)

Yes -it involves putting hundreds of small firms out of business and stops hundreds from starting out costing many many jobs

Yes -it involves putting hundreds of small firms out of business and stops hundreds from starting out costing many many jobs

That's an argument I hear a lot against the living wage as well.

If your business can't afford the living wage and can't run a profit without tax cuts from the government then maybe it's not meant to be. It's harsh but protecting public services is more important than helping small business.

See I'm sceptical Ally, the SNP said the same thing about growth from corp tax cuts during the referendum campaign, and your favoured economist (by your own admission) said it was "Nothing but a gift to corporate increasing inequality". The SNPs economic plans are historically proven to be folly, so I'm sure you can forgive my distrust.

As far as the China bit is concerned the only bit I am questioning is his claims about poverty. The parts of China that I go to, tend to be tourist areas and industrial manufacturing areas which I would assume (perhaps wrongly) will tend to be the more affluent areas. You don't have to wander far from your comfy hotel to see, with your own eyes, the levels of absolute poverty that some of these folk have to live in.

When it comes to comparing levels of poverty with Scotland it comes down to how the statistics are presented. Are we talking absolute poverty or relative poverty? How are these things measured? Sometimes though, you just don't need to see the stats to know what is glaringly obvious to your own eyes.

As far as the China bit is concerned the only bit I am questioning is his claims about poverty. The parts of China that I go to, tend to be tourist areas and industrial manufacturing areas which I would assume (perhaps wrongly) will tend to be the more affluent areas. You don't have to wander far from your comfy hotel to see, with your own eyes, the levels of absolute poverty that some of these folk have to live in.

When it comes to comparing levels of poverty with Scotland it comes down to how the statistics are presented. Are we talking absolute poverty or relative poverty? How are these things measured? Sometimes though, you just don't need to see the stats to know what is glaringly obvious to your own eyes.

That's my point, we haven't even established your second paragraph yet, so how can we make a comparison, therefore why are folk saying it's shyte.

I know next to feck all about chinese economic models, so i have zero idea how it will work out, my first thought was also "China?" but then i realised i didn't actually know anything, so couldn't comment.