Gps Watch - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Looking for some advice/tips. The old dear is heavily into her walking and would like a GPS watch to track some of her hikes around Scotland, and a hiking holiday in Iceland this summer. Does anyone know of any decent GPS watches geared towards walking or whether the well known running watches (such as Garmin Forerunner) work perfectly when out hill walking and munro bagging?

Garmin Forerunner doesn't work perfectly when running, walking or sitting on your arse. I stopped using mine as RunKeeper kicks its arse and doesn't take ten minutes to find a satellite.

Which Forerunner were you using?

My 220 finds a satellite almost immediately.

My 110 used to take ages to find a satellite too and it was pretty temperamental in syncing to my PC as well.

Never had any problems with my 220.

The first garmin watch you bought was shite, so you bought another one?

I would highly recommend the garmin forerunner 620. I've had mine for 1 1/2 years now and use it every day. It's perfect for running and walking. Picks up a satellite almost instantly. It has a "find my way back" thingy in case you get lost.

Edited by crossan

My 110 used to take ages to find a satellite too and it was pretty temperamental in syncing to my PC as well.

Never had any problems with my 220.

Mine won't sync automatically, but id rather do it manually than pay £100+ for a new one.

I used to have issues with getting signal until I emailed them complaining, since then it's always worked straight away.

Also ditched a 110 for a 220 for various reasons including the time to find satellite, but also the weird way the data transferred over to Strava making you look much faster than you really were (insisted in using moving time rather than actual time which was always a lot less even if you hadn't stopped). 220 is excellent but possibly taking a bit longer to find satellite these days so may need reset. Parklife I'm not a fan of Snickers bars but I still like Mars bars (England association notwithstanding).

Also ditched a 110 for a 220 for various reasons including the time to find satellite, but also the weird way the data transferred over to Strava making you look much faster than you really were (insisted in using moving time rather than actual time which was always a lot less even if you hadn't stopped). 220 is excellent but possibly taking a bit longer to find satellite these days so may need reset. Parklife I'm not a fan of Snickers bars but I still like Mars bars (England association notwithstanding).

I changed for the same reasons. Took about 2 days to find a satellite and showed nonsense on Strava.

The other things I like much better about the 220 is that it lights up when it shows the lap splits which means you can actually see them in the dark without trying to find the backlight button and the vibrate means you never miss a lap time. You can also see you lap splits on the watch so don't need to look at Garmin connect or Strava.

I liked my 110 after I got the 220 I would never have gone back to one.

Looking for some advice/tips. The old dear is heavily into her walking and would like a GPS watch to track some of her hikes around Scotland, and a hiking holiday in Iceland this summer. Does anyone know of any decent GPS watches geared towards walking or whether the well known running watches (such as Garmin Forerunner) work perfectly when out hill walking and munro bagging?

If it`s just for hiking i`d just use the strava app (or any similar one) on my phone. Or you could get a gps unit, something like this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/garmin-etrex-30-gps-p191379that`ll have a much longer battery life.

The running watches work but the battery isn`t much better than using your mobile. The chargers on the garmin watches are also dreadful.(google the reviews). I got a tom-tom watch last year and it works better than the garmin and has a much better charger.

Are they :unsure: I plug mine in, it charges :)

We had 2 watches in the house. Both of them stopped charging. Got them replaced by garmin then the new ones did the same. Now one of the newest replacements has stopped charging as well.

Do a search for 'garmin watch won't charge' It's a common fault.

Mine charges sometimes, if it can be bothered. Has a ludicrous five toothed grip rather than a normal charger.

Yeah. The charging connection is shite.

We had 2 watches in the house. Both of them stopped charging. Got them replaced by garmin then the new ones did the same. Now one of the newest replacements has stopped charging as well.

Do a search for 'garmin watch won't charge' It's a common fault.

Maybe I have just been lucky but I have had 2 Garmin's FE has had 2 and my new few has had 2 and none of them have had an issue charging - maybe I should touch wood :unsure:

Maybe I have just been lucky but I have had 2 Garmin's FE has had 2 and my new few has had 2 and none of them have had an issue charging - maybe I should touch wood :unsure:

"my new few"????????? New fella? Surely not?