Hamilton Races - Page 6 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hamilton Races

Kirk

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been to Lingfield b4. I'm going on 1st Dec jumps meeting. Is it far from central London and is there much close by.?

I was there last Tuesday - it's only 45 / 50 minutes approx. from Victoria and the station is only a few minutes walk from the track (through a pleasant park).

There are a couple of pubs in the village but I didn't get the chance to visit them as we got a later train than planned (due to the 11.23 being cancelled...).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Oh aye, forgot to say, it may be worth trying to access the course via the hotel bar (far side from racecourse entrance) - when I was there last week there was no-one manning the gate between the hotel bar beer garden and the course - it's just a metal gate with a latch. However, that was for a last-minute fixture (Great Yarmouth transfer) and there was hardly anyone there (even sneaked into the owners and trainers' bar via the Tote - they only had a steward on the main door) - they might have someone on the gate at most meets.

Edited by Charlie Endell

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 8:55 AM, Charlie Endell said:

Kicks off again today. 

Going tonight?

I half thought about it, but giving it a miss in lieu of sitting about the house drinking wine and eating crisps.

Got York, Ripon and Sedgefield planned for later this year which will take to 20+ courses. You must have nearly done them all now??

7 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Going tonight?

I half thought about it, but giving it a miss in lieu of sitting about the house drinking wine and eating crisps.

Got York, Ripon and Sedgefield planned for later this year which will take to 20+ courses. You must have nearly done them all now??

You have definitely made the right choice there - 'Les McKeown's Bay City Rollers' are playing after the racing - you can just imagine the sort of crowd that'll attract - I'm giving it a miss.

Three cracking courses you've got lined up - I'm going to go to the Friday of the Ebor - York is my favourite course.

I was at Wincanton last Thursday and Towcester on Monday there - five to go (or six if you count the July Course and Rowley Mile at Newmarket separately) - Yarmouth, Newmarket, Hereford (plan to attend the reopening on 6 October), Kempton (possibly going to the King George) and Sandown.

21 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

You have definitely made the right choice there - 'Les McKeown's Bay City Rollers' are playing after the racing - you can just imagine the sort of crowd that'll attract - I'm giving it a miss.

Three cracking courses you've got lined up - I'm going to go to the Friday of the Ebor - York is my favourite course.

I was at Wincanton last Thursday and Towcester on Monday there - five to go (or six if you count the July Course and Rowley Mile at Newmarket separately) - Yarmouth, Newmarket, Hereford (plan to attend the reopening on 6 October), Kempton (possibly going to the King George) and Sandown.

I doubt it very much but, I wonder if Folkestone may make a Hereford style comeback one day?

I know they kept Arabian racing going at Hereford and used the facilities for events and what not, but I get the feeling Folkestone may be gone for good. Don't think the racing or facilties were up to much right enough....

54 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

I doubt it very much but, I wonder if Folkestone may make a Hereford style comeback one day?

I know they kept Arabian racing going at Hereford and used the facilities for events and what not, but I get the feeling Folkestone may be gone for good. Don't think the racing or facilties were up to much right enough....

I'm sure I read last week (possibly in the RP) that planning permission has been given to build housing on the racecourse site, so it does look like it's gone for good. 

Edit: It was the RP http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/housing-project-spells-bad-news-for-folkestone/2078712/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

Edited by Charlie Endell