Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey?

microdave

I had this discussion at work today. Mine would be Graeme Sharp who was brilliant for Everton but just couldn't make the jump to international level. Others mentioned were Steve Archibald, Duncan Ferguson, Brian McClair, Willie Pettigrew and (bizarrely imo) Graeme Souness.

Who is your biggest disappointment in a Scotland Jersey despite looking as though they should be in cruise control?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this discussion at work today. Mine would be Graeme Sharp who was brilliant for Everton but just couldn't make the jump to international level. Others mentioned were Steve Archibald, Duncan Ferguson, Brian McClair, Willie Pettigrew and (bizarrely imo) Graeme Souness.

Who is your biggest disappointment in a Scotland Jersey despite looking as though they should be in cruise control?

Big Duncan Ferguson for me, he has recently come out and said he regrets his early retirement from international football.

Was he good enough for that level, we'll never know.

Gary mccallister for me . Never played as well for his country as he did for his club

He's probably my choice too.

Matteo comes to mind too but I don't think he was really committed.

McLeish leaving us for Birmingham was the biggest disappointment of all.

Charlie Nicholas never reached the heights he should have for us, although the same could be said of his time at Arsenal.

I thought Barry Ferguson would be a world-beater when I first saw him at Rangers but he never developed into a player who could truly control the tempo of a game at international level.

Charlie Nicholas never reached the heights he should have for us, although the same could be said of his time at Arsenal.

I thought Barry Ferguson would be a world-beater when I first saw him at Rangers but he never developed into a player who could truly control the tempo of a game at international level.

Despite many criticisms on here (mostly for his "injuries"), I thought BF was one of our best players for nearly a decade ?

Probably applies for France 1998 too. Gallacher scored a fair amount of goals in qualifying, durie ran himself into the ground. Mccoist played in euro 96. Did he only play v Switzerland ( my first Scotland away game)

Probably applies for France 1998 too. Gallacher scored a fair amount of goals in qualifying, durie ran himself into the ground. Mccoist played in euro 96. Did he only play v Switzerland ( my first Scotland away game)

Scored the only goal. :ok:

On the whole wearing a Scotland jersey myself while watching Scotland play from 2007 to 2013 was a f@cking massive let down. Thanks god for Wee Gordon Strachen.

Edited by kmcca5

McLeish leaving us for Birmingham was the biggest disappointment of all.

I remember the day the news broke about this. One of my worst days as a Scotland fan, felt like I had been lucky enough to have been pumping the best looking bird around only to be dumped because she's found someone with a bigger willy than mine.

I spent that day in disbelief saying "He left us for a job at Birmingham City, how... But.... Why... But" then found out that he'd doubled his wages... Money isn't everything, he could have gotten us to a f#@king world cup if he had stayed... Where is he now, what a C@nt!

Edited by kmcca5

I remember the day the news broke about this. One of my worst days as a Scotland fan, felt like I had been lucky enough to have been pumping the best looking bird around only to be dumped because she's found someone with a bigger willy than mine.

I spent that day in disbelief saying "He left us for a job at Birmingham City, how... But.... Why... But" then found out that he'd doubled his wages... Money isn't everything, he could have gotten us to a f#@king world cup if he had stayed... Where is he now, what a C@nt!

He only took the Scotland job to put himself in the shop window. Ginger tosser.

Harsh IMO, anyone who understands the demands (and lack of) managing Scotland would understand that there's more than money involved in this type of decision.

Managers are used to intense day in-day out hard work and training, McLeish did a good job and was then faced with a premier league job offer (when it possibly was the best league in the world) at a time when he was 10 months away from a competitive match.

The job suits Strachan at the tail-end of his career and with grandkids etc whereas McLeish wasn't 50 yet with a good career ahead of him.

I would feel differently if he had left during the campaign, but he said that he had told his agent to hang up the phone if he received an offer during the campaign.

Disagreeing with the decision is fair enough but would be harsh after how he picked our campaign up to think that he let us down IMO.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

McClair for me. Alway mind him banging in the goals for club but took him something like 30 caps to score his 1st goal for Scotland.

Day Eck took over my first thought was not "if" he will move on, but "when"......

It was only his 4th managerial appointment (Motherwell, Hibs and Rangers) and though he had been successful at Rangers, sure trying his luck in England was at the back of his mind, and as soon as the first decent offer from England came along he would be off (to be fair to him, as least unlike Smith he did not move on into a qualification campaign), as only way he was staying on beyond the Italy game was if we qualified for the Euros.

Levein was pretty much the same.... Probably thought could not do any worse than Burley, so can only go up and if he could get some kind of "Paris" result like Eck did then the offers from England would come flooding in.

At least with Strachan he has been around the block in England and had success with Celtic, so with him it will be a case of the SFA asking him to leave rather than him walking away.

Charlie Nicholas for me, by far the most naturally gifted Scottish player of his generation, could & should have been our all time top scorer, he must look back at his career and wish he had made a different decision back in 1983.