T In The Park - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yeah, cause the Stones and Metallica are such huge risks as headline acts.

Around the time that the Darkness were hitting the big time, they opened the Saturday at Glastonbury.

The following year after they had the big hit, they wanted to headline. Michael Eavis told them to "fück off, no-one will remember you in twelve months time".

As I said, Stones and Mettalica are massive acts.... Just not relevant in today's music society/tastes/festival scene.

Remember when heard Stones were announced saying "that's genius!".... As it was so clearly obvious, yet nobody expected it as it was a band who did not fit in with the typical headliner at the time, and I bet both bands saw their album sales rocket for the first time in years as a result (and I bet the TITP folk were probably thinking "f**k!!!! Why did we not think of that?" As well)

Yes 2004 Darkness were a big band, but everyone and their mother knew they were a 1 hit wonder niche band having their 15 minutes of fame who would be gone as fast as they had showed up (whereas Muse were a band on the up).... That was a case of TITP letting the charts at that moment in time over rule their gut feeling.

Edited by wanderer

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, Stones and Mettalica are massive acts.... Just not relevant in today's music society/tastes/festival scene.

That'll be why irrelevant Metallica are headlining the Saturday at Reading this year then.

That'll be why irrelevant Metallica are headlining the Saturday at Reading this year then.

And as I said earlier, Reading is now what TITP used to be (plus Metallica fit in to the typical Reading and Leeds festival go'er style... With previous headliners being Queens of the Stone Age, Blink-182, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Guns n Roses etc)

Edited by wanderer

And as I said earlier, Reading is now what TITP used to be (plus Metallica fit in to the typical Reading and Leeds festival go'er style... With previous headliners being Queens of the Stone Age, Blink-182, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Guns n Roses etc)

Last time I went to Reading it was Public Enemy on the Saturday, ok, it was 1992 and Nirvana were on the Sunday.

I really don't understand your point though, I'd say Metallica was a pretty safe bet as a headline act for *any* mainstream festival.

Jay-Z headlining at Glastonbury, I'd put down as an interesting choice but not a risk and which actually worked. I guess Kanye West proved you can't just get some megastar on and they'll be brilliant.

Last time I went to Reading it was Public Enemy on the Saturday, ok, it was 1992 and Nirvana were on the Sunday.

I really don't understand your point though, I'd say Metallica was a pretty safe bet as a headline act for *any* mainstream festival.

Jay-Z headlining at Glastonbury, I'd put down as an interesting choice but not a risk and which actually worked. I guess Kanye West proved you can't just get some megastar on and they'll be brilliant.

Depends on your criteria..... Do you want a big name in world music, who might not be relevant in the music charts and main stream radio airwaves that might not be to the vast majority of your "customers" (for want of a better word) taste.... Or do you want the latest top 10 chart star (who might not be remembered in 15-20 years time).

Glastonbury for years fell into the latter, but has shown it can change, and TITP is doing this just now (with no sign of that it is prepared to change).

Used to be fun and exciting trying to guess who would headline TITP the following year.... Now all you need to do is just check Google and see if Beyoncé, rihanna, Noel and/or Liam Gallagher, Jessie J, Katy Perry, Kalvin Harris, David Guetta etc.... Have a album coming out within the next 12 months.

What I am saying is, I would love it if TITP was to come out with their line up with a major surprise and say Bruce Springsteen, Prince, AC/DC Paul McCartney, Neil Young was amongst the headline acts.... Rather than what has become the usual of David Geutta, Snow Patrol, Mumford and Sons, and the latest Pop Princess etc.... Probably the last time I was surprised by a TITP headliner was The Who.

Glastonbury showed it was prepared to take a risk when it announced bands like the Rolling Stones and Mettalica as its headliners.

For far to long the criteria was having a single in the top 10 of the charts within the last 6 months was enough to get into the main stage.

Granted these are massive acts, but they do not appeal to everyone and can alienate the vast majority of your crowd who do not listen to them on a regular basis, or even own a album,yet both went down a storm.

This was what made TITP special.... Then in 2004 they got their fingers burnt when Bowie pulled out as main headliner, and they played it safe by putting the Darkness on as the headline act, and everyone went to watch Muse on the 2nd or 3rd stage.

After this TITP played it maybe a little to safe (people were crying out for Metallica as the last big band to play T, yet passed up the opertunity (mainly because they didn't want to upset the main happy hardcore who are there to see the Radio 1 play list it is starting to go down in recent years) and then Glastonbury got them.

Who the fcuk is announcing The Rolling Stones, one of the most iconic bands of all time taking a risk?!

Who the fcuk is announcing The Rolling Stones, one of the most iconic bands of all time taking a risk?!

Then why did it take 40 years to ask them? It reached the stage where who would budge first, Glastonbury or TITP, and who would offer them the better deal.

It had to be the headline act, and not what Glastonbury like doing of the Sunday afternoon comedy/nostalgia act (ie Johnny Cash, Status Quo, Tony Bennet, chuck berry etc....)

Or the out cry from folk who said "oh no, you can not have a heavy metal band headline Glastonbury" when Mettalica were announced, yet BBC were eatting their words after that performance

Edited by wanderer

I've just been speaking to Johnny Marr and Morrisey who want to reform the Smiths and headline Glastonbury but I'm not sure, they haven't had a song in the charts for years. It's just too big a risk.

I don't know, ask Eavis but to say hiring the Stones is risky is just plane nonsense.

Don't know him..... Sure Mike Batt would have a thing or two to say after his moral victory over him when he got the Wombles to play Glastonbury

No they don't.

Weekend CAMPING come with a wrist band which shows you are entitled to enter the campsite. Weekend NON CAMPING, which I mentioned, have no wrist bands. Having had a weekend non-camping for 15 of 17 years I do know what you can and can't do with these tickets. And being able to pass them between friends so different people can use on different days is one thing you can do.

Aye it was a camping one I used right enough m8. That's a decent saving in that case.

Line up is never going to please everyone. This year there are probably only 4 acts I would pay to go and see. That's the point of it though eh? Go and check out a few bands you wouldn't normally.

And if all else fails, there is the Slam tent. :)

Looking forward to it I must say