Benefits Britain - Business Subsidies And Tax Breaks - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Benefits Britain - Business Subsidies And Tax Breaks

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/07/corporate-welfare-a-93bn-handshake

Taxpayers are handing businesses £93bn a year a transfer of more than £3,500 from each household in the UK.

The total emerges from the first comprehensive account of what Britons give away to companies in grants, subsidies and tax breaks, published exclusively in the Guardian.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depressing.

I had the radio on this morning, listening to how Gideons budget is going to slash 12bn from the benefits bill, whilst at the same time cutting taxes by raising the threshold for the 40p tax rate.

It'll mean I have more in my pay packet every month, but I don't want it - they shouldn't be cutting my taxes whilst making poorer folk a lot worse off

Depressing.

I had the radio on this morning, listening to how Gideons budget is going to slash 12bn from the benefits bill, whilst at the same time cutting taxes by raising the threshold for the 40p tax rate.

It'll mean I have more in my pay packet every month, but I don't want it - they shouldn't be cutting my taxes whilst making poorer folk a lot worse off

Shitest "I earn over £42k" post ever ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/07/corporate-welfare-a-93bn-handshake

Taxpayers are handing businesses £93bn a year a transfer of more than £3,500 from each household in the UK.

The total emerges from the first comprehensive account of what Britons give away to companies in grants, subsidies and tax breaks, published exclusively in the Guardian.

Corporate welfare is huge.

40p threshold should be at least £50k. 40-odd thousand isn't a going to fund a lavish lifestyle for folk with children to support and a mortgage to pay - pretty scandalous for the taxman to be skimming 40p in the £ on anything over £42k as at present.

Edited by Charlie Endell

40p threshold should be at least £50k. 40-odd thousand isn't a going to fund a lavish lifestyle for folk with children to support and a mortgage to pay - pretty scandalous for the taxman to be skimming 40p in the £ on anything over £42k as at present.

They have to draw the line somewhere!

20-40p does seem quite a jump, but if you're making over £42k a year, you're pretty well off.

Perhaps for a household with 1 working adult there should be some relief (if their isn't already?).

Guest flumax

They have to draw the line somewhere!

20-40p does seem quite a jump, but if you're making over £42k a year, you're pretty well off.

Perhaps for a household with 1 working adult there should be some relief (if their isn't already?).

1 working married partner paying basic rate can get £1060 from their unworking/below basic rate earning partner. ie £212 better off per year. Can't get why full allowance can't be transferred to the working partner so long as under higher rate. Although sounding rather conservative I would like to see a household allowance (ignore the married bollox, allow cohabiting pals if needs be ) instead of personal allowance. Edited by flumax

NEXT pay workers £6.70 a hour and are subsidised £67 million a year in tax credits because they pay shite wages, while they made a profit of nearly £700 million for shareholders and nearly £5 million for their Tory peer boss Lord something.

Not to mention all of the independent economists who say that "austerity" is bullshit and doesn't work.

Games rigged

Tax credits getting slashed across the board, according to Gideon.

Threshold lowered, payments of CTC restricted to the first two children.

Looks like the Tories are targeting the lower middle classes now.

Edited by scotlad

Its plenty for a good lifestyle providing you havent bought into the mortgage yourself up to the hilt, 'upgrade' new shiny thing every year or two consumer culture that the powers that be wants to promote.

Spot on.

NEXT pay workers £6.70 a hour and are subsidised £67 million a year in tax credits because they pay shite wages, while they made a profit of nearly £700 million for shareholders and nearly £5 million for their Tory peer boss Lord something.

Not to mention all of the independent economists who say that "austerity" is bullshit and doesn't work.

Games rigged

Is it that ##### Green that owns Next?

Games rigged

The evil git just gave them an 11% pay rise next year (alright the minimum wage is 6.50 but i cant be arsed to work it out !!)

The evil git just gave them an 11% pay rise next year (alright the minimum wage is 6.50 but i cant be arsed to work it out !!)

Is it not the living wage that he has put up* rather than the minimum wage?

*Except he hasn't, because the living wage is currently £7.85ph.

Is it not the living wage that he has put up* rather than the minimum wage?

*Except he hasn't, because the living wage is currently £7.85ph.

He's put up the minimum wage to £7.20 as of next year with it rising to £9 in 2020. That's not a bad policy actually and shits all over Labour's proposals in the GE.

Combined with the taking away of student grants and benefits to 18-21 year olds, the Tory's are certainly trying to curtail working class and lower middle class folk from going to uni. It's providing the carrot and the stick to go straight from school into unskilled or apprenticeships.

By cutting the tax credits, the 'living wage' would need to be about £12 an hour to cover it all

I thought the living wage is supposed to be calculated such that it's the rate at which working 37.5 hours per week, a reasonable standard of living is gained without benefits?

He's put up the minimum wage to £7.20 as of next year with it rising to £9 in 2020. That's not a bad policy actually and shits all over Labour's proposals in the GE.

Combined with the taking away of student grants and benefits to 18-21 year olds, the Tory's are certainly trying to curtail working class and lower middle class folk from going to uni. It's providing the carrot and the stick to go straight from school into unskilled or apprenticeships.

Thanks. I thought he said it was the living wage which was going to be £7.20.

£9ph by 2020 (if you're over 25) is better than what Labour where proposing and also the SNP, who argued at the GE that it should be raised to, I think, £8.70 by 2020. The smoke and mirrors part is that the tax credit threshold has been reduced.

Edited by scotlad

TBH and no way wanting to defend them, but there are some kids who simply should not be going to Uni. My brother included. 3-4 years to get a Micky Mouse degree, and then let lose into a stagnant job market. F that!

4 years of work would have benefited him enormously.

Personal circumstances aside, I agree it is making it impossible for working class kids to get a vocational degree (doctor, teacher, accountant, engineer, lawyer, etc).

Like you say, the problem is there is nothing credible for them to go straight from school to.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby