Panic ! Scottish Bar Stool Email Considered Offensive At Work - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Panic ! Scottish Bar Stool Email Considered Offensive At Work

Hi Guys, started a new job and week 6 and all going well. Had a bit of banter with a girl in a differant office via email and phone - she has a rep for being great fun - about 24 years old.

I sent her the Scottish Bar Stool photo as she was asking about Scotsmen.

Email back. "Please note Company emails are monitored and this is considered offensive? I wouldn't be surprised if HR issue a warning letter for this type of behaviour" - no smiley face after it ....

Boss was copied in on the original and reply email.

Get on well with him, and just asked - is she serious ?

He shook his head and sent her "8==D" but did not copy me in as he typed the reply, while showing me.

All was fine - so I emailed them back to say thanks for everything, I've cleared my desk, and it was nice knowing them. Inferring I'd been sacked.

No response.

Then started thinking,maybe the boss meant me "8==D".....am I being paranoid ?????

Now I'm panicking :blush::blush::blush:

Hi Guys, started a new job and week 6 and all going well. Had a bit of banter with a girl in a differant office via email and phone - she has a rep for being great fun - about 24 years old.

I sent her the Scottish Bar Stool photo as she was asking about Scotsmen.

Email back. "Please note Company emails are monitored and this is considered offensive? I wouldn't be surprised if HR issue a warning letter for this type of behaviour" - no smiley face after it ....

Boss was copied in on the original and reply email.

Get on well with him, and just asked - is she serious ?

He shook his head and sent her "8==D" but did not copy me in as he typed the reply, while showing me.

All was fine - so I emailed them back to say thanks for everything, I've cleared my desk, and it was nice knowing them. Inferring I'd been sacked.

No response.

Then started thinking,maybe the boss meant me "8==D".....am I being paranoid ?????

Now I'm panicking :blush::blush::blush:

Hmm, where to start...

Talk to your boss, actually talk to him, not on email but face-to-face.

You'll get a much better understanding talking with your mouth and listening with your ears, rather than relying on smileys and emoticons.

Same goes for anybody who finds it funny.

You have to take it in context mate, I'm in Australia. The girls have always loved that one over here.

Anyways, I've been "had" - she got me !

Txt a mate from work who got me the job, and says wait 'til you meet her mate, she's Fookn NutS ...... you've met you match with this one :blush:

Thannks guys, but at 45, I've learnt the lesson - got too familiar too soon, keeping it pro as per my usual. :wacko:

Edited by HUNTINGMcGREGOR

Had some quality banter at work, the one I got "got" with was a security related issue when I was on the company graduate scheme. Basically a big section wide fit up that I had an IT security breach and had to report to the head of security. Duley went there with the letter that was taped to my PC and spoke to one of the security guys.. He just laughed at the note and told me I had been had.

One of the favourites I have done to another is take a screen grab of somebodys desktop, print it into a Powerpoint presentation set it on loop, then launch the presentation. The guy was going spare that his mouse wasnt working. The only giveaway was the clock in the corner never changed. This is however since they brought in rectangle screens (much easier with a square one).

J

Had some quality banter at work, the one I got "got" with was a security related issue when I was on the company graduate scheme. Basically a big section wide fit up that I had an IT security breach and had to report to the head of security. Duley went there with the letter that was taped to my PC and spoke to one of the security guys.. He just laughed at the note and told me I had been had.

One of the favourites I have done to another is take a screen grab of somebodys desktop, print it into a Powerpoint presentation set it on loop, then launch the presentation. The guy was going spare that his mouse wasnt working. The only giveaway was the clock in the corner never changed. This is however since they brought in rectangle screens (much easier with a square one).

J

Ctrl+Alt+arrow key is also good for a wind up. Changes the orientation of the screen. Only works on certain PC's though.