Nightshift Work- Advice Please - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nightshift Work- Advice Please

It's a horrible shift and I'm on it constant the noo. Out the house at 7pm home at 830am. I normally go to bed at 10 and up at 5. After my last shift I've got to sleep till 3 as I can't function if I get up earlier. It's easier in the winter with the pishing rain battering the window and no pesky lawnmowers. I sometimes have dinner, sometimes have toast. I carry rolls crisps and chocolate to see me through the night and about 20 cups of tea. There are times you will hit the wall in the middle of the night and that's hard. You'll know when you hit it lol. If you have a family don't do it, the extra money can't make up for the lost family time.

It's a horrible shift and I'm on it constant the noo. Out the house at 7pm home at 830am. I normally go to bed at 10 and up at 5. After my last shift I've got to sleep till 3 as I can't function if I get up earlier. It's easier in the winter with the pishing rain battering the window and no pesky lawnmowers. I sometimes have dinner, sometimes have toast. I carry rolls crisps and chocolate to see me through the night and about 20 cups of tea. There are times you will hit the wall in the middle of the night and that's hard. You'll know when you hit it lol. If you have a family don't do it, the extra money can't make up for the lost family time.

Yup and that wall is very very hard lol

I always found that if you are busy the shift was easier to get through as you're focused on the work.

I liked nightshift because there was a different atmosphere compared to the dayshift. None of the senior management were about so it was more laid back. As long as the work got done a blind eye was turned to listening to music, following the fitba scores on the 'net, phoning in a takeaway etc.

I liked nightshift because there was a different atmosphere compared to the dayshift. None of the senior management were about so it was more laid back. As long as the work got done a blind eye was turned to listening to music, following the fitba scores on the 'net, phoning in a takeaway etc.

I'd agree it that, I started betting on baseball and basketball during my last stint on nightshift though I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Larky Masher

When I do nightshift,I'm either in buildings myself or a security guard is going about.

Never get bothered from anyone,apart from the one time someone had to wake me up as I was sleeping at their desk :lol:

I'd agree it that, I started betting on baseball and basketball during my last stint on nightshift though I wouldn't recommend it.

I would ! Golden State were money generators and doing mental arithmetic per quarter for points band betting helped keep me alert.

Last night 3 of us lifted 800 notes on the corners in USA v Jamaica. Get on about 15 plus in the final.

I do this and I work 9 - 5 - just scoffed 12 Fox's 'Jam 'n Cream'.

Are you at a desk all day? I find when I'm not in office at work I eat less but if I'm stuck in an office I'll eat out of boredom.

Aye not seeing management is a huge advantage.

Been there, basketball can be great but you can just as easily lose it.

I did permanent nights many years ago when I was still young and living with my parents. I completely switched my eating pattern around to fit my sleep/work pattern. Woke up early evening and had cereal. Took in a couple of rolls to have for lunch in the middle of my shift,and had a main meal when I got home early in the morning. My old dear thought I was an alcoholic as I was sitting at eight in the morning with a can of beer watching the telly. There was no convincing her that this was my "evening" time and I was just winding down before bed.

The pattern I work these days is two early,two backshift,two nightshift, four off. It's horrific as my body can't get a sleep pattern going.

You'll find that if you don't actually have to switch your sleep pattern back to normal on your days off (childcare,other job maybe) then you'll be fine. As long as you're getting a regular eight hours kip,you'll be grand. And as others have said,blackout blinds and earplugs are the way forward.

Are you at a desk all day? I find when I'm not in office at work I eat less but if I'm stuck in an office I'll eat out of boredom.

Aye not seeing management is a huge advantage.

Been there, basketball can be great but you can just as easily lose it.

Yip - it's out of sheer boredom - can't quite happily survive a day elsewhere without eating a load of crap.

Edit: Oops - I notice Big Col has already posted the link to the BBC site.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Yip - it's out of sheer boredom - can't quite happily survive a day elsewhere without eating a load of crap.

Edit: Oops - I notice Big Col has already posted the link to the BBC site.

Aye I'm the same its a pain in the arse. I'm on a health kick again now minus the binge I'm going for on wed night but that probably means i wont eat on Thursday anyway haha.

From the times I've done shifts a few point I have are. Constant shift is better than changing all the time, can get a routine going. Your family have to clearly understand that when your in bed, that its the night for you and your not to be disturbed. Exercise and drinking loads of water help, no caffine 3/4 hours before bed. Plan your food for the day. I found having my big meal earlier in the day and cereal before bed worked. Make sure you get up at a set time and do something out the house, doesn't matter what but sure you feel you have done something.