Week Of Football - No No No No No - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Week Of Football - No No No No No

niallb

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the good old days, internationals were *only* on Wednesday nights. Added to that, in order to get anything like a reasonable - never cheap - flight you had to stay a Saturday night. This meant that an away game was a minimum of four days off work. Made for some great trips but people complaining about the inconvience of dates now don't know they're born.

Correct

Its PISH but due to me working with the council i am able to schedule holidays around when the games are played so i can still go.The clowns in suits at uefa and fifa dont have a clue though and all they think about is money and nothing else.

Weekdays are a pain but having watched Scotland since the mid 70s you just have to get used to it.

I am lucky I can work flexi but midweek games are always a pain as coming from Dundee I will be in work at 7:30-3:30 (if I cannot get time off) pick up mates and them/their kids, drive through, match, then back. Depending on traffic it can sometimes be 1am by the time I get home.

One of my mates lives in Montrose but works in Dundee so he sometimes he has to drive to Dundee, work, meet his son at the train station then drive though and back to Montrose where his wee boy has to go to school the next day if the match is a school night.

On the flip side, it will all be worth it if we qualify.

All the moaning is down to the decade or so they played Saturday games when we were doing well loads of folk started enjoying the day out. At least if these folk drop going the real football fans will be there. Not the day trippers on a day away from the wife.

In the good old days, internationals were *only* on Wednesday nights.

Aye, I'd been going to Scotland games for about 20 years before going to a weekend qualifier. The week of football isn't ideal but it's better than it was in the 70s, 80s and 90s...

I'm a teacher and yes some away games you just cant make but i've made Germany (travelled through the night to get back) Poland (Oct week) and Ireland (sat) wont make georgia but will faro (oct week) for this campaign. Russia 2 away games are oct week and england should be fine if u get away a tad early. Like the new format, games and dates are pot luck so cant argue!

the whole idea is that club football stops for a week and international takes over. It should be Saturday most of the time with a few weds thrown in.

Friday i suppose is not bad but really ffs, don't ever play on a monday. i'd like to beat up that kwunt that thought this was a good idea.

All the moaning is down to the decade or so they played Saturday games when we were doing well loads of folk started enjoying the day out. At least if these folk drop going the real football fans will be there. Not the day trippers on a day away from the wife.

I must have missed this period we started doing well because it's been pretty shite for a long time now.

That's not quite a decade :lol:

Our competitive home form between 2000 and 2008/09-ish was pretty good, and throughout this period attendances were very good, after poor home attendances in the early to mid 90's (the old Hampden joke of "tonight's game at Hampden is a sell out....apart from the first 10 rows)

Seem to recall a number of the sell out's in the 2002 qualifiers for the 2 of the 3 Saturday games we had..... things then dipped under Vogts, but steadily increased over time before getting back to good levels under Smith and finally peaking with Eck.

During this period we had our fair share of Saturday games and a large number of them were close to sell out's.

Edited by wanderer

Our competitive home form between 2000 and 2008/09-ish was pretty good, and throughout this period attendances were very good, after poor home attendances in the early to mid 90's (the old Hampden joke of "tonight's game at Hampden is a sell out....apart from the first 10 rows)

Seem to recall a number of the sell out's in the 2002 qualifiers for the 2 of the 3 Saturday games we had..... things then dipped under Vogts, but steadily increased over time before getting back to good levels under Smith and finally peaking with Eck.

During this period we had our fair share of Saturday games and a large number of them were close to sell out's.

We qualified for nothing and it's probavly the worst spell the national team has ever had. It's was unsuccessful.

We qualified for nothing and it's probavly the worst spell the national team has ever had. It's was unsuccessful.

Not saying we were a success, but the attendances were pretty good during this period and had been growing to the point under Eck were Hampden was actually becoming to small.

Edited by wanderer

In the good old days, internationals were *only* on Wednesday nights. Added to that, in order to get anything like a reasonable - never cheap - flight you had to stay a Saturday night. This meant that an away game was a minimum of four days off work. Made for some great trips but people complaining about the inconvience of dates now don't know they're born.

This is true and the "having to stay over a Saturday night" thing was still prevalent relatively recently. I remember when we were going to Moldova, we flew to Bucharest. We initially looked at Tues-Thurs and Tues-Fri flights, both of which were £960!!!! Tues-Sun was £182. Given that in terms of accommodation and spends it was a pretty cheap trip, the latter option was a no brainer.

I even had to show my Mrs as she was convinced I was rippin' the pish just to get away for longer! :-))

Correct. Arriving at an away venue on a Saturday for a game the following Wednesday was sometimes the only way to turn an £800 plane fare into £200. Made for some good trips, but it must have been a nightmare for folk with young kids and limited free time.

Getting rid of the "Saturday night stay" rule is probably the greatest thing the budget airlines have brought to the world. Has made it 100 times easier to get to away games now.

I'm a teacher and yes some away games you just cant make but i've made Germany (travelled through the night to get back) Poland (Oct week) and Ireland (sat) wont make georgia but will faro (oct week) for this campaign. Russia 2 away games are oct week and england should be fine if u get away a tad early. Like the new format, games and dates are pot luck so cant argue!

I don't think you're right about the Russia campaign - looking at the provisional dates for Glasgow, The October 2016 game is the week before the October week.

Edited by Glasgowmancity

Correct. Arriving at an away venue on a Saturday for a game the following Wednesday was sometimes the only way to turn an £800 plane fare into £200. Made for some good trips, but it must have been a nightmare for folk with young kids and limited free time.

Getting rid of the "Saturday night stay" rule is probably the greatest thing the budget airlines have brought to the world. Has made it 100 times easier to get to away games now.

Thankfully there were far fewer away games those days otherwise it would have been impossible.

I think the "worst" run I can remember was in 1995 when we were away in Moscow at the end of march, San Marino in April and the Faroes at the beginning of June. I missed out the San Marino trip and I can't think of many people that went to all three.

This is true and the "having to stay over a Saturday night" thing was still prevalent relatively recently. I remember when we were going to Moldova, we flew to Bucharest. We initially looked at Tues-Thurs and Tues-Fri flights, both of which were £960!!!! Tues-Sun was £182. Given that in terms of accommodation and spends it was a pretty cheap trip, the latter option was a no brainer.

Belarus in the same group the following summer was the same scenario. Our game was on the Tuesday, so we went via Budapest the previous Friday and took in the Belarus-Slovenia group game on the Saturday.

I don't think you're right about the Russia campaign - looking at the provisional dates for Glasgow, The October 2016 game is the week before the October week.

Russia campaign Slovakia and Lithuania (Oct dates) are not the holidays in the west coast anyway no but someone said it is in the Highlands and maybe the East coast. They usually would have been but for some reason the holidays are the week after for the 2 years.

Aye indeed.

Missed many a Saturday home game due to this daft rule. Remember "watching" one game via teletext refreshing the screen every two minutes in a bar in Helsinki coz we couldn't find a bar showing the game on telly.