Tamb Running Thread - Page 34 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just getting back into the running since the first bairn. Started off very slowly doing 3 milers, but man is out hard to go out after a days work or what. Missed a run out 2 last week so need to get in around 15-20 miles this week, hopefully starting tonight.

Cracking weather for it these days nice bright evenings.

Be accurate to the mean, but how near you are to that is anyone guess.

Fair to say that won't anywhere near! According to RunKeeper I burned 943 calories on my run this morning - however, I have been famished since and I've scoffed three bananas, two bags of McCoy's and an Easter egg! Just heading out for two packets of tuna sandwiches.

Just getting back into the running since the first bairn. Started off very slowly doing 3 milers, but man is out hard to go out after a days work or what. Missed a run out 2 last week so need to get in around 15-20 miles this week, hopefully starting tonight.

Cracking weather for it these days nice bright evenings.

I actually prefer getting a run in before work if I can - I find running more enjoyable/easier even in the morning than later on - also helpful because most races are in the AM too.

Good going today by the way, Cove, looking well on track for Edinburgh.

Is there a discussion anywhere on TAMB about good running shoes?

Inspired by all the progress recorded by TAMBers on this thread, and the one on Couch to 5k, I'm starting to get out there after years of not doing anything. Hope to move to local Park Runs sometime in the summer.

Any advice (or steers to relevant threads) on good shoes and kit would be much appreciated

Is there a discussion anywhere on TAMB about good running shoes?

Inspired by all the progress recorded by TAMBers on this thread, and the one on Couch to 5k, I'm starting to get out there after years of not doing anything. Hope to move to local Park Runs sometime in the summer.

Any advice (or steers to relevant threads) on good shoes and kit would be much appreciated

I would highly recommend going to a running shop and getting a proper fitting and advice as everyone is different. In Glasgow I'd recommend Run4It, they helped me get a great pair that suits me.

I would highly recommend going to a running shop and getting a proper fitting and advice as everyone is different. In Glasgow I'd recommend Run4It, they helped me get a great pair that suits me.

Aye, use Run4It to get the advice and then buy your replacement shoes online.

Third vote for Run4it for your initial pair. They'll do a proper test where they video you on the treadmill and assess your running style. Plus they have a couple of lovely wee Norn Irish girls who work there! :ok:

Agree with Charlie that you should buy future pairs online though. You can save a good few quid - especially if you get "last years" style through the discount sites. No idea about anyone else but the colour scheme isn't that important to me if you are getting the same shoes for £20-30 less.

Thanks all - can't ask for clearer advice than that.

I won't get to run4it but I'll find a good shop down here and get fitted out properly (with running socks Deecie!).

Cheers

I second the socks advice. I love Balega's

Then they will go out of business and we will have nowhere to go for advice.

Aye, that's a fair point, but paying an extra £30 / £40 every six months is a bit strong. I usually buy a pair from there every so often to check my shoe recommendation hasn't changed. They did annoy me once as they sold me the wrong shoe (I'd asked for a specific make and model) and initially refused to give me money back as they have an exchange only policy - something they didn't point out to me at the time of sale - eventually they relented as it was their error.

Balmoral 10k tomorrow, this time last year it was my first ever 10k race.

Can't see it being a PB given the nature of the course, really don't think I can go under 47:56 here.

Will certainly be looking to take as much as possible off of last year's 56:55 though.

An interesting weather forecast too...

11185444_10206904735965410_1395122771_n.

Edited by Cove_Sheep