Tamb Running Thread - Page 42 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am training for a half marathon just now having pretty much only run 5ks and 10ks up to now. Went for a long run last night - my longest yet. I usually run 10ks at around 50 mins, so I deliberately slowed it down to an even 5 mins 30 secs per km at first. Got just over 55 mins for the first 10k as per the plan, then averaged 5 mins 45 per km for the next 5k. After that I was struggling, averaging over 6 mins for each of the next 2km and stopping at about 17.5km. That was about the distance I was after but it was fecking hard going at the end.

Any advice on how to improve?Should I pick up the pace after the first few km when it's still feasible? Answers on a postcard... Cheers

2 things - if 50mins is flat out for a 10k, then 1hr 40 pace is pretty quick for a half.

The other is that you might just be needing a wee bit of rehydration for the longer distance - a half cup of powerade every 5km (including just before you start) works for me.

Thanks - am now realistically hoping to get something under 2hrs 10 mins, having hoped to get under 2hrs previously. I didn't want to push it all the way to the full 21km at this stage, but wanted to see how I felt at that distance and intended pace - was an eye opener anyway.

Have only taken water with me so far but will definitely have a look at what's out there.

Edited by neilser

Thanks - am now realistically hoping to get something under 2hrs 10 mins, having hoped to get under 2hrs previously. I didn't want to push it all the way to the full 21km at this stage, but wanted to see how I felt at that distance and intended pace - was an eye opener anyway.

Have only taken water with me so far but will definitely have a look at what's out there.

Based on your parkrun time you should be able to get under 2hrs. Its just a case of building up the distance

Based on your parkrun time you should be able to get under 2hrs. Its just a case of building up the distance

Neil

When I did Crathes last year, my Parkrun PB was around what you are currently averaging.

I did 2:06 despite running the last four miles in agony with a stitch so, sub 2 hours should not be an impossible target.

Cheers - am hoping to get out for a longer run tonight and will try to slow down the first 10k a bit more to make the rest of it slighty easier...

Cheers - am hoping to get out for a longer run tonight and will try to slow down the first 10k a bit more to make the rest of it slighty easier...

For what it's worth, I am/was about your pace and did two half-marathons.

The first I did in 2:04:17 and was doing 10km at 51:30. The second I did in 1:56:01 and was doing 10km at 50:30. So you should be close to that 2-hour barrier if you are averaging 50 mins for 10km.

I think a first half is likey to be slower the second one you have more idea of how to pace it. It is definitely about just dealing with building up the miles first though and also not worrying too much in training runs it is amazing the difference race conditions make.

Just enjoy the long training runs and the time will take care of itself

Edited by Lamia

Am training for a half marathon just now having pretty much only run 5ks and 10ks up to now. Went for a long run last night - my longest yet. I usually run 10ks at around 50 mins, so I deliberately slowed it down to an even 5 mins 30 secs per km at first. Got just over 55 mins for the first 10k as per the plan, then averaged 5 mins 45 per km for the next 5k. After that I was struggling, averaging over 6 mins for each of the next 2km and stopping at about 17.5km. That was about the distance I was after but it was fecking hard going at the end.

Any advice on how to improve?Should I pick up the pace after the first few km when it's still feasible? Answers on a postcard... Cheers

Forget about the pace, concentrate on building up the distance.

Endurance is being able to keep running without stopping. Pace doesn't matter! (Step 1)

Stamina is being able to running at the same pace without slowing down. (Step 2)

And the training runs don't need to be anywhere near race pace. On a long sunday run I struggle to hit 9min/mile over half marathon distance. But on race day yesterday averaged 8:08/mile. First time I sneaked under 2 hours my long runs were averaging almost 10min/mile and my 10k time was about 50-52 minutes.

If you run a 24 min 5k you should run about 50 min for 10k and under 2 hours for a half - theoretically...

Cheers - will try going slower at the start and see how that plays out.

I was aiming for 2 hours based on the projections from my usual 5k and 10k times but I don't think that's feasible.

Behave min, if my mental arithmetic is right you've just 17.5k in about 99 minutes.

[10k in 55min, 5k in 28:45min, 2.5k in 15min]

That leaves you 20 minutes for the last 3.5k. If you did them at the same 6min/k pace that's 21 minutes and bang on 2 hours! You're practically there! :lol:

Logically there's no getting away from it - shouldn't be beyond me. Was just going by how I felt at the end of that run, which was like wading through a muddy swamp wearing diving boots. Suspect I need to man up...

Logically there's no getting away from it - shouldn't be beyond me. Was just going by how I felt at the end of that run, which was like wading through a muddy swamp wearing diving boots. Suspect I need to man up...

Just watch that you build up gradually:)

It doesn't get easier - you just get faster.

How much building up did you do before running 17.5k?

Please tell me this WASN'T your first run over 10k.... :lol:

How much building up did you do before running 17.5k?

Please tell me this WASN'T your first run over 10k.... :lol:

I've done a few around the 12 - 13k mark previously

I also did a 15k in 1 hr 25 mins on the Sunday before the 17.5k and quite enjoyed it, though I was clearly slowing by the end.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/1089770627

The 17.5k was four days later - same time for the first 15k but purgatory for the next 2.5k

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/1097127729

With the benefit of hindsight a rest of more than 4 days may have been advisable :-))

Aye, once a week for an endurance run is plenty! You're practically there. Got a half marathon in mind? Glasgow is coming up and its a good one. Aviemore is a week after it...

Aye, once a week for an endurance run is plenty! You're practically there. Got a half marathon in mind? Glasgow is coming up and its a good one. Aviemore is a week after it...

Have gone for the Crathes half marathon on Saturday 19 September. I know that Cove Sheep has signed up for it too.

Will see how I feel after but could see myself getting into them. Easy for me to say that now of course...