Tamb Running Thread - Page 44 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man up. If Debbie Moore can get knocked off her bike, end up in hospital and physio, then end up back there again a few weeks later with a blood clot in the lung, and go the last four weeks of training with no running at all, then do a FULL IRONMAN in under 11 hours then, I dunno, I run out of explanations as to what is possible for human beings to achieve.

She only bl**dy qualified for Kona... That's 4km swim in open water, 115 miles on a bike, then a full marathon. And she was second woman in her age category. I dunno if the links to her blog will work, but if they do then everyone prepare to be inspired...

Debbie is fantastic.....she probably spent more days in hospital in the last 4 months than her rivals had day off from training. She was 2nd female overall out of the swim.

I met her for a coffee on Friday and just loved hearing her story from Kalmar......I have IM Barcelona in just over 5 weeks time and me moaning about the odd niggle and sore knee is quite pathetic after her turmoil with the crash and subsequent blood clot. Yes, she inspires me too.

It is actually 3.8km swim then 112 mile cycle before the full marathon. My training has been decent so far...did an 18 mile run tonight....pishing rain is perfect for running but not sure i will get that in Barcelona. I have done loads of cycling over the past few months so whilst no fear of that distance I still worry how the heat will affect me (I had issues in the heat before) Not the fastest swimmer but comfortable with the distance...swim mostly at Knockburn (will do 5 laps on Weds which is aprox 4km) but doing a few sea swims at Aberdeen beach....the water is fine at present (about 13C)

Good luck! I can't get my head round this stuff. Its beyond what I consider possible....

Did my longest endurance run tonight : 19.6km in 2 hours 1 minute. Easy pace throughout and it was still a bit of a journey into the unknown for the last few km, but I'm at least content that I can finish the half marathon.

I'm pretty sure you will be fine then Neilser.

if you don't mind me asking my friend how much did you weigh before you started running ? was a bit heavy myself at one point was 19 stone when l worked nights now down to 15 stone and go to the gym 4 days a week and feel much better for it

if you don't mind me asking my friend how much did you weigh before you started running ? was a bit heavy myself at one point was 19 stone when l worked nights now down to 15 stone and go to the gym 4 days a week and feel much better for it

From what I remember from reading it on here Cove Sheep was over 20 stones before coming down to below 14 stones. I know that I got to 19 stones a few years back - when I started dieting (eating sensibly more than anything else) and exercising last year I'd have been about 17st 10 and lost 3 stones over a few months. I was 15st 4lbs this morning.

You're right about how much better you feel after shifting the weight - more energy, more enthusiasm, the lot...

Edited by neilser

From what I remember from reading it on here Cove Sheep was over 20 stones before coming down to below 14 stones. I know that I got to 19 stones a few years back - when I started dieting (eating sensibly more than anything else) and exercising last year I'd have been about 17st 10 and lost 3 stones over a few months. I was 15st 4lbs this morning.

You're right about how much better you feel after shifting the weight - more energy, more enthusiasm, the lot...

It was about 21st 6lbs that I was when I got diagnosed. I think my peak was about 22st 3lbs.

Currently fluctuate between about 13st 10lbs and 14st 2lbs.

Good to finally meet you this morning.

It was about 21st 6lbs that I was when I got diagnosed. I think my peak was about 22st 3lbs.

Currently fluctuate between about 13st 10lbs and 14st 2lbs.

Good to finally meet you this morning.

Aye, was good to meet up at last!

Strange sort of day at parkrun though - ran my slowest race yet after getting a PB last week. It was windy though so I'll blame it on that...

Edited by neilser

Aye, was good to meet up at last!

Strange sort of day at parkrun though - ran my slowest race yet after getting a PB last week. It was windy though so I'll blame it on that...

It was brutal.

Upper prom wind and lower prom heat.

Aberdeen Parkrun really is like two separate races in one at times.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye it was hard going. I've checked through the stats from my Garmin - when I eventually stopped running and just walked up that hill in the last mile my heart rate was at 192 bpm. I'm glad I did, because that short break from maximum effort let me run again for the last half mile (and I was only just over walking pace before I did anyway).

Hopefully the next one will be easier - happy with 2 hrs 4 mins though.