Tamb Running Thread - Page 47 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Well done. I didn't even make the start line. Couple of big hills in Pollok Park that don't look too bad until you're on them, I run in there all the time.

One of the hills was deceptively long. I do lots of hills in training which are a lot lot worse but when you are trying to get a decent time any slight incline is not appreciated

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the hills was deceptively long. I do lots of hills in training which are a lot lot worse but when you are trying to get a decent time any slight incline is not appreciated

There`s a hill that doesn`t look like much going into Bellahouston Park that drags on a bit. It`s the last km of the Men`s 10k, just as you think you`re nearly done. :angry:

Yorkshire Marathon tomorrow. Usual nerves and doubts are setting in, as they always do.

Followed a sub-3:30 training plan and it has gone well - 8 minute miles, stick with the pacer maybe and push if I feel comfortable later on.

Not like there's anything else to look forward to tomorrow anyway.

Anyone recommend me a programme to follow, to build up to half marathon distance?

I always played fitba, and I just can't seem to get into going to the gym or running. I do need to do something as I've put on about a stone since min Angus Young was born. I'm thinking if I had something to work towards it would help me stick at it.

At the minute I'm doing 4-5km

Ran the' Lakes in a Day' Ultra on Saturday. 50 miles, 4000m assent from Caldbeck in the north of the Lake District to Cartmel in the south. 3/4 of the climb was done in the first half of the race with a long slow climb up the and then fairly steep decent off Blencathra followed by an assent of Helvellyn and then Fairfield.

Took 12h 28min for 23rd place. First big decent killed my toes which meant every other decent was very painful, even fairly gentle downhills were excruciating. The last 7.5m were done in the dark and took 1h 45min. When I finished the back marker was only just reaching halfway who had another 12h of running/walking in the dark.

Got a nice Vulcan Bomber flypast as I came off Fairfield as well, although it was only a fleeting glimpse as I stumbled over rocks and into peat bogs!

Still struggling to walk, and will be for a few more days and a few toe nails look like they're gonners!

Ran the' Lakes in a Day' Ultra on Saturday. 50 miles, 4000m assent from Caldbeck in the north of the Lake District to Cartmel in the south. 3/4 of the climb was done in the first half of the race with a long slow climb up the and then fairly steep decent off Blencathra followed by an assent of Helvellyn and then Fairfield.

Took 12h 28min for 23rd place. First big decent killed my toes which meant every other decent was very painful, even fairly gentle downhills were excruciating. The last 7.5m were done in the dark and took 1h 45min. When I finished the back marker was only just reaching halfway who had another 12h of running/walking in the dark.

Got a nice Vulcan Bomber flypast as I came off Fairfield as well, although it was only a fleeting glimpse as I stumbled over rocks and into peat bogs!

Still struggling to walk, and will be for a few more days and a few toe nails look like they're gonners!

Feckin hell, fair play to you.

Lad at my work used to do the West Highland Way one, amongst others. Think he was eventually told to pack them in by the physio, such was the damage he was doing to himself.

Didn't stick with the pacer and started a bit fast perhaps he overtook me just after 25, I then passed him on the (up)hill before the last 500m.

3:28:29 finishing time though, no complaints with that :).

Well done!

People like you are just mental! How do you do that?? :blink:

I think a lot of it comes down to mental strength and the ability to just keep moving and switching off you mind from running, which probably comes from running for 30 years. I find it easier to switch off when running on my own, especially in an Ultra, when everyone's pace is constantly changing, although catching back up when having being dropped is quite a nice feeling.

You also have to bear in mind that, on a very hilly race like Lakes in a Day, the hills aren't run but walked albeit at a fast pace.

I trained well, hard, and long for The Fling in April but then really struggled to get much in before The Devil in August and then only had a couple of long runs late August, then not a lot of training during September. But having run the distance before game me the confidence it was then just about how long it would take. I could probably knock off an hour if I had trained well for it, but probably not much more as I don't descend well.