Tamb Running Thread - Page 48 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Tokyo Marathon on February 28th (just under 18 weeks away). Started light training last week with a few 3 mile runs but not feeling motivated at all and I'm genuinely worried that I won't be able to stick to a training plan or a healthier diet.

I've ran three marathons before but didn't train properly for any of them...Hoping to make amends with this one.

Any advice?

Edited by derekfaejapan

I've got the Tokyo Marathon on February 28th (just under 18 weeks away). Started light training last week with a few 3 mile runs but not feeling motivated at all and I'm genuinely worried that I won't be able to stick to a training plan or a healthier diet.

I've ran three marathons before but didn't train properly for any of them...Hoping to make amends with this one.

Any advice?

I didn't stick to any kind of plan for Edinburgh.

What I did do though, is just do the same number of runs per week as I was usually doing, but just gradually build up the distance I was doing in the long run of the week.

I didn't stick to any kind of plan for Edinburgh.

What I did do though, is just do the same number of runs per week as I was usually doing, but just gradually build up the distance I was doing in the long run of the week.

Have you got that recorded on Strava? If you have then I'll have a look at what you were doing leading up to it.

So, you'd suggest one long run a week from now on?

I always struggled to follow training plans up until my last marathon. I had it in my mind that I was going to go sub-3:30 and followed a plan tailored for just that, granted I had the odd day off where I should've trained a 5-8 mile run but as long as I didn't miss the next one, and certainly not the Sunday long run (provided I wasn't racing that day) I was able to keep the training on track.

If you have a time target in mind, have a look at one of these plans: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/training.aspx The sub-3:30 got me a 3:28:29.

Regarding eating healthy though, that's my biggest pitfall to be honest.

I always struggled to follow training plans up until my last marathon. I had it in my mind that I was going to go sub-3:30 and followed a plan tailored for just that, granted I had the odd day off where I should've trained a 5-8 mile run but as long as I didn't miss the next one, and certainly not the Sunday long run (provided I wasn't racing that day) I was able to keep the training on track.

If you have a time target in mind, have a look at one of these plans: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/training.aspx The sub-3:30 got me a 3:28:29.

Regarding eating healthy though, that's my biggest pitfall to be honest.

Cheers :ok:

By the way, that link is knackered.

Any advice?

Stick to a training plan.

2.51 marathon for me yesterday. A few minutes off my PB but missed out on sub 2.50 again. Not getting any younger so starting to wonder if it will ever happen. Will have another couple of goes at it next year then throw in the towel.

Edited by Denny's Yard

2.51 marathon for me yesterday. A few minutes off my PB but missed out on sub 2.50 again. Not getting any younger so starting to wonder if it will ever happen. Will have another couple of goes at it next year then throw in the towel.

Well done though that is a seriously good time. Where did you do that yesterday?

I am still on a high after IM Barcelona and considering running Florence marathon at the end of November - ran 18 miles tonight but got a sore foot which I hope is not too serious. I struggled on the marathon in Barcelona but thats understandable after a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike.....howver I want to prove that i can do a half decent marathon time again....not even ran one for 10 years due to injury.

Well done though that is a seriously good time. Where did you do that yesterday?

I am still on a high after IM Barcelona and considering running Florence marathon at the end of November - ran 18 miles tonight but got a sore foot which I hope is not too serious. I struggled on the marathon in Barcelona but thats understandable after a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike.....howver I want to prove that i can do a half decent marathon time again....not even ran one for 10 years due to injury.

It was MCM in Wasinghton DC.

Heard good things about Florence marathon but seems quite soon to train properly If you want to give it a good go? Why not pick one in Feb or March next year? You would be recovered before triathlon season starts.

Thinking that after next year I will either have another go at an ultra or maybe an attempt at an IM, so I might be looking to you for some advice.

That's tremendous sir, I've always viewed a sub 3 hour time as the mark of a "real" runner so 2:51 is pretty special.

In my continuing attempts to even break 4 hours I've signed up for Manchester in April. Supposed to be very flat but also very busy as it seems to be a lot of peoples automatic choice if they don't get in to London.

As mentioned above, I didn't follow a proper schedule before and instead just ran lots in a unscientific manner. Hence it all went wrong at the 18 mile mark on both occasions and I was closer to 5 hours than 4. I know I have to stick to the proper 4 hour plan this time round. No excuses.

Heard good things about Florence marathon but seems quite soon to train properly If you want to give it a good go? Why not pick one in Feb or March next year? You would be recovered before triathlon season starts.

Thinking that after next year I will either have another go at an ultra or maybe an attempt at an IM, so I might be looking to you for some advice.

What was the MCM like? I've heard it's supposed to be very well supported, but also hard to get a place in. I guess your times help in that regard.

What was the MCM like? I've heard it's supposed to be very well supported, but also hard to get a place in. I guess your times help in that regard.

It was good, you pass a lot of the big sights in DC (Pentagon, monuments, museums, etc.), you get to run on the National Mall and the marines, who man the aid stations and give out medals, are great. But it isn't a fast course and doesn't attract a lot of fast guys.

So I would recommend it as a destination race, as DC is a fantastic place to spend a long weekend. But if you are looking to run a fast time and want to do a big city race in the US then Chicago is the answer.

Entry to MCM isn't too difficult. There is a lottery but the odds of getting a place are much better than say New York or London. There are no qualifying times so it doesn't matter what time you have run, everyone is in the lottery.

Edit to add, support was okay on Sunday, but much smaller crowds tthan normal as the weather wasn't great for spectating,

Edited by Denny's Yard

It was good, you pass a lot of the big sights in DC (Pentagon, monuments, museums, etc.), you get to run on the National Mall and the marines, who man the aid stations and give out medals, are great. But it isn't a fast course and doesn't attract a lot of fast guys.

So I would recommend it as a destination race, as DC is a fantastic place to spend a long weekend. But if you are looking to run a fast time and want to do a big city race in the US then Chicago is the answer.

Entry to MCM isn't too difficult. There is a lottery but the odds of getting a place are much better than say New York or London. There are no qualifying times so it doesn't matter what time you have run, everyone is in the lottery.

Edit to add, support was okay on Sunday, but much smaller crowds tthan normal as the weather wasn't great for spectating,

Cheers.

Fancy a few days in Washington at some point and we'd heard good things about the MCM. Someone described it as a wall off noise going round. Perhaps the weather meant it wasn't the case for you.

Time wise, not being fast isn't an issue. I run with my wife and we get round in about 5 hours (not that I'm much faster with out her lol). We did Barcelona this year, which was great, but not many runners around the 5 hour mark or support for them.

Just keen to have some focus for my training over winter. Also considering Barcelona marathon in March. Got a swollen ankle at present so may rest a couple days to see how it is then do a couple of 20 milers before entering and booking flights to Florence. I do not feel as if I am training much at all.....but that is probably as I am comparing it with IM training where I was averaging just over 12 hours a week from early April onwards.

I suggest you go for IM.....more fun training for three disciplines and the sense of achievement is phenomenal. Happy to give advice...your running is excellent so no issues there...all depends where you are with the bike and swim. Becoming comfortable swimming for long periods is really important....you do not want to be a few short months out from IM and unable to say swim a mile....get lessons on technique, join a masters class (even if you feel you are not quite able to keep up with others.....being told what to swim in a small class is far better than not being motivated on your own...then in summer see if Open Water swimming suits you....I swim at Knockburn loch and Aberdeen beach....people think you are mental but it is so much more rewarding than laps in a pool and even becomes enjoyable.