Tamb Running Thread - Page 49 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just keen to have some focus for my training over winter. Also considering Barcelona marathon in March. Got a swollen ankle at present so may rest a couple days to see how it is then do a couple of 20 milers before entering and booking flights to Florence. I do not feel as if I am training much at all.....but that is probably as I am comparing it with IM training where I was averaging just over 12 hours a week from early April onwards.

I suggest you go for IM.....more fun training for three disciplines and the sense of achievement is phenomenal. Happy to give advice...your running is excellent so no issues there...all depends where you are with the bike and swim. Becoming comfortable swimming for long periods is really important....you do not want to be a few short months out from IM and unable to say swim a mile....get lessons on technique, join a masters class (even if you feel you are not quite able to keep up with others.....being told what to swim in a small class is far better than not being motivated on your own...then in summer see if Open Water swimming suits you....I swim at Knockburn loch and Aberdeen beach....people think you are mental but it is so much more rewarding than laps in a pool and even becomes enjoyable.

I'm not scared of any of the disciplines as I have done all the distances before, but obviously not One after the other.

It is the training time comittment that worries me a little. 12 hours a week is a lot more than I have been doing for marathon training. But yeah an IM would be an amazing thing to have completed,

Edited by Denny's Yard

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where'd you go swimming at Aberdeen beach?

If there are surfers out there i tend to go just beyond them.....safety in numbers i feel. If it is pretty calm and obviously no surfers I tend to swim at the harbour end....typically go out beyond the breakwater and swim up and down.....no point in swimming too far in one direction as I would either have to swim or walk back to my car. There were a lot of fine sundays in September and I felt completely safe with so many people down at the beach just watching.

A couple of times i swam across from Pittodrie.....before night games (Astana and one other) I parked up on the road, swam then walked across the golf course to the game......very refreshing. (had a mini shower with water bottles to rid myself of sALT water

The water temp was about 12.5c most of September...that is completely fine and surprisingly warm once you get used to it (I do wear a wet suit)

I'm not scared of any of the disciplines as I have done all the distances before, but obviously not One after the other.

It is the training time comittment that worries me a little. 12 hours a week is a lot more than I have been doing for marathon training. But yeah an IM would be an amazing thing to have completed,

Well if you have done all the distances you should definitely go for it. If you can manage one long bike a week it will make up around half the hours. I would typically do a century plus ride very early on a saturday morning...often taking 6 - 6.5 hours (I did one that took almost 18 hours but that was a 425km Audax)

i still find it hard to get my head round being able to to an Ironman......but put in the training and you soon build up the endurance......having the fitness is only hallf the battle.....as you can imagine the other half is in the mind.....keeping going is not so hard mentally after you have pushed through the pain and fatigue barrier in training

I did my first at 51.....quite imagined it may be my last too but the morning after Barcelona I decided to do another and want to beat 12 hours in Copenhagen next August

Forres Harriers Brodie Castle 10k today. Really nice event. Backing up my view that the wee events are the best. Flat course on nice quiet roads and castle grounds. The wind was a bit brutal for the second half so didn't manage sub 50 :( but what a fantastic spread of home bakes, soup and sandwiches they mustered up.

Only complaint was no water when you finished and as it was warmer than anticipated I was gasping.

Would do this one again though. :ok:

Edited by Lamia

Went out for a 5k yesterday. 28 mins. Can't believe how slow I've got, but then it was my first run since August. Right now I just can't seem to shake my injuries, resting helps but only because I am not working the joints - as soon as I open up, it hurts again! :(

Maybe I should be posting this is 'the decline'...

Went out for a 5k yesterday. 28 mins. Can't believe how slow I've got, but then it was my first run since August. Right now I just can't seem to shake my injuries, resting helps but only because I am not working the joints - as soon as I open up, it hurts again! :(

Maybe I should be posting this is 'the decline'...

I can barley run a 5k now, so unfit its unreal. I did cross country and stuff at school and was always one of the fittest out of all my mates,now im blowing out my arse after 10 minites at 5s

National short course cross country today at bellahouston park. Pissing down all day, naturally, and the course was a total mud bath with huge puddles that you just had to run straight through. Good fun until I got home and had to wash everything I left the house with this morning including spikes, trainers and the bag I was carrying everything in!

National short course cross country today at bellahouston park. Pissing down all day, naturally, and the course was a total mud bath with huge puddles that you just had to run straight through. Good fun until I got home and had to wash everything I left the house with this morning including spikes, trainers and the bag I was carrying everything in!

Was there too. Brutal conditions underfoot. Ran it last year (my first XC) and was quicker this time but much lower placed. Am doing Tinto hill race next week which will be my first hill race other than 7 Hills of Edinburgh. Don't think it's going to be my thing, all this stuff to carry...I might stop for a picnic at the top if its a nice day (unlikely!). Edited by Deeklipse

Almost perfect running conditions today.

Looking forward to the Broch half tomorrow.

Aye, it really was a cracking day for it - wish that I'd pushed on a bit on the second half of it, as those sort of conditions don't come around too often. PBs for you and Flat Earth as well.

First long run in forever today.

14k in 70 minutes. Something quite satisfying about running in the pishing rain.

Not quite right in the head apparently

I love running in the rain - give me that over sun any day :)

Almost perfect conditions for running in Fraserburgh today. Chip time has me as 1:46:31, so my PB for a HM remains 1:45:33.

Had some bother over the last week or so with my IT band, and my knee got painful at 9 miles after a wee offroad section so had to stop and stretch out and then walk for a wee bit, so think I'd definitely have got a PB if I was 100%.

The spread afterwards was rather good.