Renfrew Pubs - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Renfrew is much better than Paisley.

:-)):-))

Ha Ha. Shut up RB. The only thing that Renfrew has over Paisley is the fact that it’s smaller, so probably has less sh1tey areas. As far as drinking establishments go, Paisley is far superior.

My only good memory of Renfrew is from when I was a kid going to Robertson Park to go on the exceptionally cool wee cycling park they had. It had proper roads, traffic lights, wee humpback bridges the lot. I’m telling ye, when ye were 6 or 7 years old from Paisley in the early 70s, that was the nuts. That still there?

Also early to mid 80s there was quite a lively pub in the town centre on a corner. Upstairs place. Was it The Haughty Pigeon?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:-)):-))

Ha Ha. Shut up RB. The only thing that Renfrew has over Paisley is the fact that it’s smaller, so probably has less sh1tey areas. As far as drinking establishments go, Paisley is far superior.

My only good memory of Renfrew is from when I was a kid going to Robertson Park to go on the exceptionally cool wee cycling park they had. It had proper roads, traffic lights, wee humpback bridges the lot. I’m telling ye, when ye were 6 or 7 years old from Paisley in the early 70s, that was the nuts. That still there?

Also early to mid 80s there was quite a lively pub in the town centre on a corner. Upstairs place. Was it The Haughty Pigeon?

Where do you drink in Paisley Marky? I'm originally from Linwood so used to frequent Paisley loads. In fact my first ever pint was in the Bruce Arms which we used to frequent after playing for the school team on a Saturday morning! Other regular haunts were Cafe Borgia, Paddy's, The Bank House and one down behind the old Stereo One that I can't mind the name of. Any time I'm through there now though visiting mates the only boozer we seem to go to is the Wee Howff!

Where do you drink in Paisley Marky? I'm originally from Linwood so used to frequent Paisley loads. In fact my first ever pint was in the Bruce Arms which we used to frequent after playing for the school team on a Saturday morning! Other regular haunts were Cafe Borgia, Paddy's, The Bank House and one down behind the old Stereo One that I can't mind the name of. Any time I'm through there now though visiting mates the only boozer we seem to go to is the Wee Howff!

Moss Street?

Moss Street?

Sorry meant to say next to Stereo One which was on Old Sneddon Street. There were 2 down there. One was an Irish Bar up next to the back entrance to the station and the other was at the other end of that block up towards the bottom of Moss Street.

Suspect you are talking about the Hole In The Wa' (now sadly gone) and The Argyll Bar (good Saints pub)

No it was the same side as the record shop. Was quite wee, had a small stage at the back and toilets were upstairs. Probably talking 15-20 years ago now mind you.

Given that Port Glasgow bus drivers have to employ rear gunners when the Prince Of Wales empties at pub closing time, a bit rich m'lad!

P.O.W's gone to the big pub in the sky mate, sad days

I'm long away from Paisley now Fairbairn but funnily enough the last pub I drank in was the Wee Howff earlier this year.

These days is probably go to The Bull or Paddy Malarkeys. Back in the day it would have been Lavertys, Shuttles, Armstrongs, Scandals or Minstros before a bit of jiggin at Paris, Toledo Junction or The Cotton Club.

Suspect the pub you are talking about is The Wig & Pen. Although I'd call it more a Celtic pub than an Irish pub. Back in the 80s tho, it was just a pub.

I'm long away from Paisley now Fairbairn but funnily enough the last pub I drank in was the Wee Howff earlier this year.

These days is probably go to The Bull or Paddy Malarkeys. Back in the day it would have been Lavertys, Shuttles, Armstrongs, Scandals or Minstros before a bit of jiggin at Paris, Toledo Junction or The Cotton Club.

Suspect the pub you are talking about is The Wig & Pen. Although I'd call it more a Celtic pub than an Irish pub. Back in the 80s tho, it was just a pub.

Meant to add that the last place I stayed before moving away was down next to the Fountain Gardens and my local pub (100 yards away) was the TAMB favourite The Alamo!

Nah it's not the Wig and Pen, I don't think I'd have been welcome in there! Both the pubs I'm referring too where on the same stretch of Old Sneddon street as Stereo One and the back entrance of the Station. The Irish one I'm on about was opposite Mannequin's (not Hamishes Hoose) and the other one was down opposite the Hole in the Wa.

Nah it's not the Wig and Pen, I don't think I'd have been welcome in there! Both the pubs I'm referring too where on the same stretch of Old Sneddon street as Stereo One and the back entrance of the Station. The Irish one I'm on about was opposite Mannequin's (not Hamishes Hoose) and the other one was down opposite the Hole in the Wa.

Fiddlers Green!!! That was the name of the Irish one. Now for the other one......

I'm cycling up to the Sons game at St Mirren on Saturday and will be taking the wee boat and dropping in to the Ferry Inn for a couple of pre-match pints. I've often cycled past it and it looks like a good, old boozer. :beer2:

Highly recommended. I've been in a few times en route back to Clydebank via the ferry and it's a cracking pub. Also recommend the pub grub.