Renfrew Pubs - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've got a family do in Renfrew on Saturday afternoon and then going to see my Mum (also in Renfrew) later that night. I've got about an hour or so in between and was thinking of going somewhere for a pint. Mrs Fairbairn will be with me and while she's a down to earth sort I don't want to be taking her anywhere too "rough and tumble"! Anyone know of anywhere that fits the bill? Does the Normandy Hotel have a bar as that would be ideal location wise.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a family do in Renfrew on Saturday afternoon and then going to see my Mum (also in Renfrew) later that night. I've got about an hour or so in between and was thinking of going somewhere for a pint. Mrs Fairbairn will be with me and while she's a down to earth sort I don't want to be taking her anywhere too "rough and tumble"! Anyone know of anywhere that fits the bill? Does the Normandy Hotel have a bar as that would be ideal location wise.

I'd get a taxi out of Renfrew and go elsewhere.

Normandy definitely has a bar. Been there a good few times for the Scottish Open darts

Stayed in the Normandy before going to Tenerife, it definitely has a bar & large lounge area, the wife and I walked into Renfrew from the Normandy and had a bite to eat & frequented a couple of the pubs in the town centre.

They served Pernod - that kept my wife happy :lol:

:lol:

I knew you'd say something like that! Given my closest other option would be Paisley, phrase "rock and hardplace" springs to mind!!

Go up to Exscape... I'd rather drink in a Wetherspoons than any pub in Renfrew :)

http://lunarossarenfrew.co.uk/#home

Depends what you want. Quite a few pubs have closed in the last few years and some have been tarted up.

As someone just posted Luna Rossa is a nice, civilised wine bar but not cheap. Mrs would definitely like it.

Normandy is alright but the Glynhill is better.

If you want down to earth try the Kind Man's at Renfrew Cross.

Don't listen to Parklife. He's talking pish. Renfrew is much better than Paisley.

If you want to push the boat out you could try the new Ice Bar at Soar (formerly Xscape) or the Champagne bar in Braehead itself.

When were you last in Renfrew as the Wetherspoons serves a truly awful pint. And which pubs upset you so much?

Porkys?

I used to pass through Renfrew on my way to work, and always thought that looked an interesting establishment.

I once explored the Renfrew pub scene prior to attending a wedding reception at the Normandy - possibly the worst selection of pubs I've encountered in a town of that size - avoid!

Fantastic post drink nosebag choice though. Must have the highest take-away per square mile ratio in Scotland...

When were you last in Renfrew as the Wetherspoons serves a truly awful pint. And which pubs upset you so much?

I moved from Renfrew about 15 months ago. I've not been back since and have no desire to.

Porkys?

I used to pass through Renfrew on my way to work, and always thought that looked an interesting establishment.

Interesting is one word for it. ?

It wasn't as bad as it looked but it's been shut for years.

It did have truly awful karaoke nights though which must have made quite a few folk living nearby deaf.

19th is probably your best bet as the rest are wee old mens pubs, not to far from the town centre aka aldi!!!!

Luna Rossa is nice and fairly new but more a food place than a bar, easily kill an hour in it mind you, has a bit to sit outside to if it not to bad

Edited by heid