Ricky Sbragia Appointed U21S Coach - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ricky Sbragia Appointed U21S Coach

Jagtag

Brian McClair, forgot about him. Anyone know he's getting on with it?

Think he has only just started the job in the last couple weeks, so will not even have his coat off yet.

Re: Sbragia, I was pretty impressed when he first came through the door, but after what happened with Harper, I was very disappointed.

If what Brighton are saying is true that Harper has been signed to actually play first team football for them, going to be interesting to see where this will go, because Harper is at the age when he will be in the U21's.

Think he has only just started the job in the last couple weeks, so will not even have his coat off yet.

Re: Sbragia, I was pretty impressed when he first came through the door, but after what happened with Harper, I was very disappointed.

If what Brighton are saying is true that Harper has been signed to actually play first team football for them, going to be interesting to see where this will go, because Harper is at the age when he will be in the U21's.

Think he was vindicated regarding Harper. Some people too quick to condemn.

Brighton might be his level if he ups his game.

I don't share the pessimism here. Sbragia is a coach who Alex Ferguson considered good enough to be in charge for the youth team at Man United, yet he's being written off for some comments he made about a kid who few people have even seen play. If Jack Harper had been a Brighton player when he was left out of the under 19s squad it wouldn't have gained any attention at all.

I didn't think that his comments were that bad. The Scottish tabloids tried to spin them as a Scottish dark-age coach dismissing a Real Madrid wonder kid because he wanted to play cart horses. In reality, Jack Harper maybe isn't that good and it was a reasonable decision to leave him out.

'Unfortunately, I don't see enough of him in action. The last time he was with us, he did OK, but I wanted a little more impact. At Real Madrid he can float all over the place, which he does. But with us, he has to be more disciplined.

'He's an exceptionally gifted lad, but sometimes we can't carry him. He can be a luxury sometimes. In some cases, if it's going well, he can be a good luxury.

But the ex-Manchester United reserve team coach still believes Harper has a big future ahead of him. Sbragia stressed: 'Listen, Jack's time will come. The last time I spoke to him, he wanted to really settle in at Real Madrid and find a place there. That's been a big thing for him.

'I've gone with the boys I've seen most in the last six months. We keep tabs on Jack and see video clips of him. We have people over there who keep their eye on him.

'There are others I've left out like Dominic Thomas at Motherwell who will have gripes that they're not in the squad.

'But I've picked a group of 18 which will hopefully do well for us. It's my opinion and I'm not saying it's right. But the squad I've picked is an extremely strong one.

'I can only pick 18 when I really could have picked 26 or 27. I've gone for a physical side and runners. Hopefully I'm right.

'It's purely tactical and there certainly hasn't been a lack of enthusiasm from Jack about playing for Scotland.'