Allan Mcgregor - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Allan Mcgregor

northernscum

Seems to be going through a bit of a rough spell in form. Some pretty amateurish mistakes by all accounts.

Hope he gets his head together soon, although he is 3rd choice for us at the moment a couple of knocks to Gorson and Marshall and we would be starting to panic.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11699/9952667/watch-hull-goalkeeper-allan-mcgregor-produces-howler-against-wolves#ooid=hpeXcxdzoHhV1UsYRH7KqHAqjcp8ITRC

http://www.hullcityindependent.net/?page=forum&forum_id=8&thread_id=22033

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has had a bit of a unstable personal life aswell, looks likely that this may be affecting his performances during the 90 mins.

Thankfully Craig Gordon seems to be in good form, Marshall hasn't played for Cardiff as he was completing a match suspension.

I reckon Marshall who is on a verge of a move to WBA will be number 1 in tiblisi if he can get a few EPL games under his belt, as Strachan is very loyal and Marshall did not do much wrong in Dublin. It was an off side goal and never should have stood. :angry:

Not so - he did drop a clanger in the Denmark friendly in 2011 when he came about 5 yards from where he needed to stay for a free kick which he then completely missed and which then went over him into the net. Totally misread it and was at fault.

Ok, only a friendly, but he seems to have this issue with crosses or high balls - his decision making or his concentration are occasionally wanting, reflected in that goal yesterday as he was obviously thinking about throwing the ball straight away once he'd caught it.

His reflexes have shown him to be absolutely superb - remember the saved penalty against Northern Ireland which was as good a penalty save as you will see. Shot stopping can be very good. That said, he hasn't looked the keeper we know him to be when I have seen him in the EPL for Hull, and he has made numerous errors. Pal of mine is a Tigers man, and he thinks he is simply sloppy who doesn't concentrate enough - (Lokeren away in the UEFA Cup was a real hummer) and was dropped for a number of games last season.

In any case, he's a back-up for David Marshall and Craig Gordon - and the former is in the box seat. However, you just hope he can up his game back up to the level we know he can perform at - for both his own and Scotland's sakes.

I agree that currently Marshall and Gordon are 1 & 2, but the above comment is nothing short of in idiotic!

Totally agree with that. Some people have short memories. He has pulled off some great saves (often one on one situations), to keep us in games. That might be in the past, he is suspect at crosses, and he shouldn't now be our number one or two choices, but please give him some respect for what he did for us when he was on the top of his game, and served us well !

I agree that currently Marshall and Gordon are 1 & 2, but the above comment is nothing short of in idiotic!

No, it's not. A good keeper isn't one that's poor at crosses and lets in goals quite regularly at his near post. A lot of people are basing their opinion on his shot stopping but you need more than that to be considered a good keeper. And that's why he's been poor at Hull, why he's struggled to get a game for the last six months and why he was hated by the fans in Turkey. If he was English he'd be a laughing stock on this forum.

Totally agree with that. Some people have short memories. He has pulled off some great saves (often one on one situations), to keep us in games. That might be in the past, he is suspect at crosses, and he shouldn't now be our number one or two choices, but please give him some respect for what he did for us when he was on the top of his game, and served us well !

Being suspect at crosses is not very good though, is it. Pretty big deficiency in a keeper's game. It's as costly as a goalkeeping blunder except it's quickly forgotten about. I remember standing behind the goal at 3-0 defeat to Holland and he missed every cross he came for, which led to at least a couple of the goals.

Marshall > Gordon> McGregor for me.

Marshall will soon be an EPL player ( on verge of a move to WBA), since his performance in molde where he was outstanding.

He has never let us down and as such Strachan has been loyal to him in selection.

Norway should have been us 3-0 up at half-time easy that night if it wasn't for Marshall. That night freezing cold I said to myself what a keeper.