One Year On. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One Year On.

Almost a year on and at last I met one. A No voter who has changed his mind. Says he would definitely be Yes now. When I told him he was the 1st he says "oh no there is a lot of people in my workplace who are now of the same opinion" - large insurance company in Glasgow.

Pretty encouraging I suppose but frustrating all the same. Negativity about Alex Salmond being the recurring theme.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ken a No now Yes voter too. We tried everything to shift him yet now says he would vote yes, as ''they've not gave us any new powers''.

Frustrating as hell, but at least he's on board for the next one. 100% yes he says now. Och well.

Does anyone know anyone gone the other way - Yes to No?

Almost a year on and at last I met one. A No voter who has changed his mind. Says he would definitely be Yes now. When I told him he was the 1st he says "oh no there is a lot of people in my workplace who are now of the same opinion" - large insurance company in Glasgow.

Pretty encouraging I suppose but frustrating all the same. Negativity about Alex Salmond being the recurring theme.

Ashamed to say it but my Uncle and Aunt voted no but now admit to me they should've voted yes. It makes it all the more frustrating hearing all the "I should've did this instead" lines being trotted out. Edited by Ormond

People are seeing that the promises given out by the No campaign if we stayed put were hollow and are now not materialising at the same time as seeing the warnings of what would happen if we remained in this corrupt Union that were given out by the Yes campaign are now very much materialising.

Simple really and it's easy for folks to say "I should've voted Yes" with 20/20 hindsight. I hate to say "We told you so" but we told you so.

Let's welcome them on board though for the next time - they really are key to our future victory.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

Does anyone know anyone gone the other way - Yes to No?

Think this is what will give the next YES vote a great advantage next time around.

Surely a very high percentage of people who voted YES will vote that way again, I'm thinking 90%+

On the other hand, I think a lower percentage of no voters will vote that way again, maybe 60-70%

Not sure how those numbers would add up, but that togethher with the changing demographics should be enough to clinch a YES vote.

Only question is when we have another referendum? I'm terrified of going again too early and losing but part of me thinks we have to strike whilst the iron is hot, maybe within the next 3 years.

Edited by Daz1982

Surely a very high percentage of people who voted YES will vote that way again, I'm thinking 90%+

On the other hand, I think a lower percentage of no voters will vote that way again, maybe 60-70%

Not sure how those numbers would add up

That would make it 57% Yes.

Although we only need 9.6% of No voters to go Yes to win - if every No voter (25% of No voters, as per Ashcroft Poll) who voted No because they thought new powers were coming, then we'd win with 52%.

Also, there would've been people who voted no, as they didn't like Alex Salmond. They might be more likely to go Yes now.

However, if there was a referendum tomorrow - I don't think we'd get more than 48%.

I know folk who voted No who say they would vote Yes next time... I also know folk who voted Yes who say they would vote No next time. From my own little bubble I'd say that if the vote was tomorrow the result would be pretty much identical.

Why are you classing yourself as someone you know?

Maybe this is harsh but I think Salmond did nearly as much harm to the cause of independence as he did good.

I know of two people who voted No who have openly admitted they regret it.

One is a work colleague whose main objection to independence (as far as I could tell) was that Salmond iss a 'wee fat Napoleon'. I suspect he also bought into a lot of what he was told by the unionists, as he has since come to me since and said that he feels conned (I suspect his opinion of Salmond remains the same though, but that's fair enough).

The other is an elderly relative who didn't 'trust Salmond with my pension' (even though she was an ex-NHS Scotland employee whose pension was already in Salmond's nefarious grasp). Again, I think she swallowed a lot of the propaganda but after seeing some of the things that have gone on politically since the vote she now regrets it.

As for people who moved from Yes to No, another guy I know - who seemed such a cast iron No that I stopped even trying to engage him on the subject of independence - admitted a few months after the vote that he had voted Yes (after being browbeaten by his Mrs for months) but apparently 'instantly regretted it'. He didn't explicitly say he'd vote No in another referendum but I suspect it might take a lot more than just browbeating to get him to vote the same way next time.

Any independence supporter who thinks voting Green in next years poll will bring the goal closer is kidding themselves. Patrick Harvie did a great job during the referendum campaign but I wonder how many in his party share his enthusiasm for independence. Would be a proper boot in the haw maws to vote in Green list member who is hostile to independence.

Any independence supporter who thinks voting Green in next years poll will bring the goal closer is kidding themselves. Patrick Harvie did a great job during the referendum campaign but I wonder how many in his party share his enthusiasm for independence. Would be a proper boot in the haw maws to vote in Green list member who is hostile to independence.

One could say the same for the SNP given they have no intention of holding another referendum.

One could say the same for the SNP given they have no intention of holding another referendum until they can just about guarantee a yes vote

Fixed that for you fishy

Anyway - back to the point

It is really easy for someone who voted No to say they wish they had voted Yes when in the company of a Yes voter

The question is would they really vote Yes the next time ?

Probably not is your answer

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The more pro-independence parties and pro-independence MSPs there are at Holyrood the more it dissolves the notion that independence and the SNP are one and the same. That can only be good for the overall movement.

Although independence isn't the main focus of their movement the Greens do seem quite tight on the issue now. I know previously they have had people like the anti-independence Robin Harper elected to Holyrood and the inde-sceptic Martin Bartos stand for them at both Holyrood and Westminster, but they are out of the picture now.

Fixed that for you fishy

Anyway - back to the point

It is really easy for someone who voted No to say they wish they had voted Yes when in the company of a Yes voter

The question is would they really vote Yes the next time ?

Probably not is your answer

I am not sure about that, Ally. Most 'out' No voters I know seem quite comfortable in expressing their view.