Northern Ireland On The Brink Of Qualification - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Northern Ireland On The Brink Of Qualification

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said all. I said I'm sure there are some non bigots but that night anyway they were drowned out by the majority who were.

Sad thing from a Scottish point of view is many of those bigots have a Scottish surname. The plantations by Scotland in the North should be seen as a national embarrassment and an apology to the island should have been made.

Sad thing from a Scottish point of view is many of those bigots have a Scottish surname. The plantations by Scotland in the North should be seen as a national embarrassment and an apology to the island should have been made.

Saddest thing is that on a football forum during international weekend (or at anytime) it somehow turns back to religion, sectarianism etc.

That's what really sad about some folk on here.

I used to share a flat with a Northern Irish 'catholic' (in brackets because he was an atheist, but family/parents all catholic) from Fermanagh who followed NI through and through, and an Irishman from Sligo. We used to get in to some great discussions when pished, or even sober.

I tried to say out of that shite when the two of them would lock horns about an Irish national team.

I still remember a quote from Sligo ; not that it was groundbreaking, but I'd just keep stumm when they'd go in to it.

''Kev has a British passport and he wants to be anything but, you are Irish who'd rather be British"

Brian - the NI guy said NI was his team, as he grew up there, his pals, were from there. He voted SDLP if I recall, and supported Ireland if NI never got there, but NI was his team first and foremost.

Very fascinating though if a complex situation. I was Hans Blixs, and stuck out of it, but I enjoyed those evenings watching our teams together and especially on the very, very rare occasion Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland all won - it did happen once! Coupon up..

I still can't understand why NI stick with GSTQ, not being anti British etc, but seems the IFA don't care one jot. There's not a serious campaign to replace it, and it does stick in the throat 'wishing them well' when you see half the flags being Union Jacks.

Edited by weekevie04

Saddest thing is that on a football forum during international weekend (or at anytime) it somehow turns back to religion, sectarianism etc.

That's what really sad about some folk on here.

Agree - but what fecks me off with this mob is they name there ground after the royal family, FFS

Agree - but what fecks me off with this mob is they name there rground after the royal family, FFS

Don't think that is right btw it was named before the royal name change

The ground anthem flags etc are incompatible as an Irish nationalist so tbh it is a bit of a red herring about changing them

When?

I was called a fenian by a group of your fans, at the Celtic Cup in Dublin, because i didn't want to pose for a picture with their Union Jack. Iny my experience a large proportion of the NI support are absolute cretins.

I'll ignore Parklife's comment here because it doesn't fit with my argument :lol:

The problem with judging the NI (or ROI) support using examples of friendlies at Hampden is fundamentally flawed. At the NI game in question, it was like a full on Sash bash, hwowever, the largest flag in the NI end came from that well known Ulster county of ......... Clackmannanshire. The same thing happened at the ROI friendly a few years before when the first song from the Irish end was Henrik Larsson King of Kings - that night the 2 biggest flags were from the Irish towns of Royston & Coatbridge.

I'll ignore Parklife's comment here because it doesn't fit with my argument :lol:

The problem with judging the NI (or ROI) support using examples of friendlies at Hampden is fundamentally flawed. At the NI game in question, it was like a full on Sash bash, hwowever, the largest flag in the NI end came from that well known Ulster county of ......... Clackmannanshire. The same thing happened at the ROI friendly a few years before when the first song from the Irish end was Henrik Larsson King of Kings - that night the 2 biggest flags were from the Irish towns of Royston & Coatbridge.

Let's be honest, Coatbridge pretty much is an Irish town... :wink2:

Your point is valid though. Loads of these sectarian scumbags in the Northern Irish and Irish supports (when they visited Scotland) are Scottish.

Not sure that makes anything any better though.

When?

I can safely assure you that the very large band of Norn Ireland fans camped outside the Lansdowne pub in Dublin for the match versus us were anti-Catholic.

It was worse than any Old Firm match I'd been to. Appaling.

For the record, I don't tar everyone as the same as that bunch.

Have a lot of friends from the North who are Protestant and are all top people :ok: