Still Optimistic - To Much Negativity - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Still Optimistic - To Much Negativity

Zander_14

Still think we can get in the playoffs with only 4 points from our last 3 games. 5 would guarantee it.

Ireland will beat Georgia come Monday and lose to Poland and Germany, leaving them with 15 points.

Therefore minimum - we need to take a point off Germany or Poland. Then turn to Gibraltar game needing to match Ireland's goal difference - currently +6

If Ireland take a heavy defeat to Germany or Poland then that goal difference will reduce. As long as we don't lose to one of them by a considerable margin.

I can see us getting our point off Poland and having to go to Gibraltar requiring to win by a margin of +5 to get into the playoffs. As long as we match Ireland's points and goal difference then we will get into the playoffs through due to our head-to-head against them.

All of the above is very much possible!

Still think we can get in the playoffs with only 4 points from our last 3 games. 5 would guarantee it.

Ireland will beat Georgia come Monday and lose to Poland and Germany, leaving them with 15 points.

Therefore minimum - we need to take a point off Germany or Poland. Then turn to Gibraltar game needing to match Ireland's goal difference - currently +6

If Ireland take a heavy defeat to Germany or Poland then that goal difference will reduce. As long as we don't lose to one of them by a considerable margin.

I can see us getting our point off Poland and having to go to Gibraltar requiring to win by a margin of +5 to get into the playoffs. As long as we match Ireland's points and goal difference then we will get into the playoffs through due to our head-to-head against them.

All of the above is very much possible!

To expect any sort of confidence after last night is surely stretching it a bit. It was a flash back to the dark old days of Levein and Burley and next up are the World Champions. That fills me with terror and pessimism not confidence.

Have you not watched our recent performances - not just the Georgia game ?

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest we will take a point off anyone in our remaining home games and that we wont struggle against Gibraltar

I thought goal difference took affect. Then that's even better. Never trust wiki (haha)

Last night was bloody awful and as frustrated as anyone.

There is still going to be a few twists and turns in this group. It's definitely not over.

I'm thinking positively. Not giving up hope until it's over!

We need to beat Germany to have any chance of a playoff, we cant afford to see what other results are

We need to beat Germany if we want it in our own hands. If we loose on Monday 4 points from the last 2 games could ensure a playoff providing Ireland loose to Germany and Poland, but that would leave us needing Poland to beat Ireland in the last game.

We are of course presuming they'll beat Georgia on Monday

Edited by bossman4

Why has goal difference got anything to do with it? It comes down to head to head record. Also, Poland will have qualified by their last game so Ireland will win in Poland most likely.

Only if they beat us. I reckon 3rd spot is achievable.

Realistically on Monday Germany, Poland and Ireland win on Monday. Leaving Poland on 17. Ireland 15 and Scotland 11.

We need a germany win against Ireland massively. And realistically the best we will get from Poland is a draw I think.

This leaves it as Poland 18. Ireland 15 and Scotland 12.

In the last round of games an Ireland win would see Poland drop to the playoffs.

So I reckon a Poland win and Scotland beating Gibraltar.

That would leave final standings. Poland 21. Scotland 15. Ireland 15. Giving us 3rd place and the chance to get our hopes up and get pumped in a playoff.

Not losing to Poland and Germany beating Ireland is vital.

If we get beat by Germany we get beat by Germany, nobody really expects any different. On paper the team we put out yesterday should have been more than capable of picking up at least a point if not all three. On paper the world champs are stronger but the game's not played on paper and that gives me some thin shard of hope.

Like most of these qualifiers I can't get to the game because of work commitments but if you're going get behind the team, let's not be beat before we even cross the line.

Character is defined not through success nor even through failure but how you bounce back from adversity and disappointment. Monday is about character, its about restoring some pride. If we don't qualify let's at least give it a go and go down all guns blazing not with a whimper.

Am I the only one not convinced that Ireland Will beat Georgia? We struggled to beat them at home and Ireland snatched a late win over there courtesy of a world class goal. I don't think there's much between the 3 teams. The fixtures haven't been kind to Georgia- they've only played Gibraltar once and have had 3 of their 4 games against Germany and Poland.

Edited by Buzz

Am I the only one not convinced that Ireland Will beat Georgia? We struggled to beat them at home and Ireland snatched a late win over there courtesy of a world class goal. I don't think there's much between the 3 teams. The fixtures haven't been kind to Georgia- they've only played Gibraltar once and have had 3 of their 4 games against Germany and Poland.

The boost we have given Ireland changes everything

They have the mentality to win at home when they really need too

Georgia are still rotten - last night was their cup final but our squad clearly couldnt foresee that shown by their aptitude from kick off

Think people are forgetting the fact that Ireland's last two games are against Germany at home and then Poland in Warsaw. Will be very difficult for them to pick up anything from those two games. Remember it wasn't that long ago that Germany absolutely humped the Irish in Dublin.

Taking the head to head into account, 4 points from the Poland and Gibraltar games should be enough for a play-off spot at least.

The boost we have given Ireland changes everything

They have the mentality to win at home when they really need too

Georgia are still rotten - last night was their cup final but our squad clearly couldnt foresee that shown by their aptitude from kick off

Think Georgia have improved under new management and could get a result against Ireland.