The View From Ireland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The View From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

The mood across Ireland has completely changed after Friday. There is now a buzz across the nation about tonight and now that the road to France is back on. I've said it a few times on here and I was pretty much ridiculed but I found the Scottish optimism a bit too much and Friday proved what I thought about your team. The only time Ireland would have lost to a country like Georgia was under Steve Staunton 8 years ago. Yes we are not pretty on the eye and our results can have a load of draws in it but we can grind out decent group positions and more often than not find a play-off spot at the end of it.

If results go to plan you will be four points behind us tonight with two games remaining. I ask you - Can Scotland handle the pressure of having to get a result against Poland if it comes to it? I think the way we set up is more equipped to go to Warsaw and snatch a point if needs be. Scotland will counter attack against Poland and then they'll just pick you off at pace with intricate passing & the pressure of having to get a win will be too much for Scotland - That's just my opinion. Even a draw in Dublin against Germany ( not beyond the realms of possibility) puts you lads out of it if you fail to beat Poland. Germany will be more or less qualified if they win tonight so hopefully their foot will be off the gas when they visit Dublin.

First things first we need the lads do a professional job against Georgia tonight and Germany to play like we know they can.

Can Scotland beat Poland and Ireland lose to both Germany and Poland when it really matters? I don't think so.

If I was predicting I reckon we're going going to snatch a play off spot before we even travel to Warsaw.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said that playing for a draw in Dublin could come back to bite us and I was embarrassed at people celebrating a draw. That mentality is a big factor in why it's been 17 years since our last major tournament appearance.

LewisEDI, on 07 Sept 2015 - 1:38 PM, said:

last minute wonder goal to win in georgia

last minute goal in germany

offside goal against scotland with a handball

last minute goal against poland

Scoring late isn't lucky.

Their goal against us was jammy as anything though (although you could also argue ours in Dublin was flukey)

The mood across Ireland has completely changed after Friday. There is now a buzz across the nation about tonight and now that the road to France is back on. I've said it a few times on here and I was pretty much ridiculed but I found the Scottish optimism a bit too much and Friday proved what I thought about your team. The only time Ireland would have lost to a country like Georgia was under Steve Staunton 8 years ago. Yes we are not pretty on the eye and our results can have a load of draws in it but we can grind out decent group positions and more often than not find a play-off spot at the end of it.

If results go to plan you will be four points behind us tonight with two games remaining. I ask you - Can Scotland handle the pressure of having to get a result against Poland if it comes to it? I think the way we set up is more equipped to go to Warsaw and snatch a point if needs be. Scotland will counter attack against Poland and then they'll just pick you off at pace with intricate passing & the pressure of having to get a win will be too much for Scotland - That's just my opinion. Even a draw in Dublin against Germany ( not beyond the realms of possibility) puts you lads out of it if you fail to beat Poland. Germany will be more or less qualified if they win tonight so hopefully their foot will be off the gas when they visit Dublin.

First things first we need the lads do a professional job against Georgia tonight and Germany to play like we know they can.

Can Scotland beat Poland and Ireland lose to both Germany and Poland when it really matters? I don't think so.

If I was predicting I reckon we're going going to snatch a play off spot before we even travel to Warsaw.

Ah here................i wouldnt be predicting anything with our lot

Nevermind what Scotland can/Cant do or if they can the handle the pressure......i would be more worried if our lot can handle the pressure

We have failed to win both our massive home games (against scotland and Poland).........We failed to handle the pressure on both those occassions.

Alot of our performances have been poor...that is just the reality!

While I see your point on MONs tactics and poland away.......I wouldnt be getting to far ahead of ourselves just yet.....

MON and Ireland have not delivered at home so far and we still have 2 home games left.....at home we have yet to show that we can handle the pressure!

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

last minute wonder goal to win in georgia

last minute goal in germany

offside goal against scotland with a handball

last minute goal against poland

I've seen this opinion countless times from numerous posters on here.

Is a last minute goal any different to a 4th minute goal. Why is a goal in stoppage time deemed lucky?

Why is a wondergoal deemed lucky? If Germany score a wonder goal against Georgia is it lucky?

I've seen this opinion countless times from numerous posters on here.

Is a last minute goal any different to a 4th minute goal. Why is a goal in stoppage time deemed lucky?

Why is a wondergoal deemed lucky? If Germany score a wonder goal against Georgia is it lucky?

ok, its unlikely, uncommon, and to do it 3 times in a campaign is pretty remarkable, some might say...... lucky

LewisEDI, on 07 Sept 2015 - 1:56 PM, said:

ok, its unlikely, uncommon, and to do it 3 times in a campaign is pretty remarkable, some might say...... lucky

Some might say it's the sign of a team with a never say die attitude. That's what we'd be saying if it was us.

Who gives a sh1t.

I think we are both quite pish and really it could go either way. Our head to head record and away game to Gibraltar is our saving grace.

Both Ireland and Scotland are utter pish.

Only difference is that Scotland attempt to play football whereas Ireland thump their chests, sing 'you'll never beat the Irish', and lump long balls forward.

Both teams will lose a 3rd place play-off.