The View From Ireland - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The View From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

For sure Scotland playing open game will be advantage for us...and you will have to do that. Hopefully our lads took a lesson in Dublin second half and won`t let to be that dominated and toothless again.

Hopefully Scotland won't have to put up with yere players throwing themselves to the ground every 5 mins looking for free kicks and feigning injury like they did in dublin also

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would much rather have our fixtures than Ireland's. Looking at how Germany have stepped up the pace as the campaign has gone on, and the fact they still need one more result to qualify, I would suggest Ireland have no chance of beating them.

That being the case, I would rather be in our position (having to beat Poland at home) than Ireland's (having to go and win in Warsaw).

I'm quietly confident we'll still get a play-off.

If at any point we play for a draw against Poland because of the Ireland result then I hope we lose a goal and get beat

Don't see that being the case. We'd be three points behind and Ireland would only need a point in Warsaw to get the playoffs whilst Poland would only need a point to qualify automatically. Quite simply, this is must-win for us.

Pressure will be on you no doubt , not that much on us as nobody expects us to get anything from Germany especially us and especially after their last visit but yiu just never know , we could do a Moscow

If we are hanging on for a draw in Dublin we will be screaming for a draw in Hampden to get a free shot at automatic qualification

If it's 1-1 in Glasgow, and 0-3 in Dublin with 15 minutes to go?

Push on and try to win the game which would (baring an absolute disaster in Faro) get us the Playoffs, or take it to the last week.

I think Strachan would sit tight for the draw, like he did in Dublin, and see if Poland can beat or draw with Ireland in Warsaw.

Push on and try to win the game which would (baring an absolute disaster in Faro) get us the Playoffs, or take it to the last week.

I think Strachan would sit tight for the draw, like he did in Dublin, and see if Poland can beat or draw with Ireland in Warsaw.

Sadly I think you'd be right but surely it's better to have our fate in our own hands

You may well be right, but that is a really depressing thought. Definitely rather we lost at least trying to win, than draw like a bunch of jessies hoping Poland will do the business for us

If we only draw with Poland, the only result in Warsaw that would give us a chance of 3rd is a Poland win. If Ireland get one point from either of their last 2 games we would need to get all 6 points to overtake them.

You may well be right, but that is a really depressing thought. Definitely rather we lost at least trying to win, than draw like a bunch of jessies hoping Poland will do the business for us

If we play for a draw at home at anytime never mind a game as crucial as this then we don't deserve to qualify

BraveheartGordon please take a :chillpill:, if you take a wee look at Green_Tide_Rising's posting history you'll see he's never engaged in any anti-Scottish baiting of any kind and has been a very constructive poster. In fact pretty much all of the Irish fans on here have made some interesting contributions and proved that they can take a joke.

Though I'm a proud Scot first and foremost, I am also a Hibernophile and I wish Ireland well if they qualify.

Hibernophile. I like it. Me too. C'mon the Hibees!

J

I would much rather have our fixtures than Ireland's. Looking at how Germany have stepped up the pace as the campaign has gone on, and the fact they still need one more result to qualify, I would suggest Ireland have no chance of beating them.

That being the case, I would rather be in our position (having to beat Poland at home) than Ireland's (having to go and win in Warsaw).

I'm quietly confident we'll still get a play-off.

Good lad

I don't want to see great mathematical calculations about what we need to qualify, I want to see real FIGHT, heart, spirit, character and showcase our football ability too.

I want to go into the Poland game and put the shitters right up them, I want to give them a real fright and fire at them from the off.

Nobody in a Scotland jersey should ever give up, and I want the poles and Irish to be reminded what sort of nation they are up against to qualify again.

We aren't that nation tho,otherwise we would have beaten Georgia.okay talking a good game with all this freedom shyte.but it's just another game to most of those players sadly.

Edited by allyc

We aren't that nation tho,otherwise we would have beaten Georgia.okay talking a good game with all this freedom shyte.but it's just another game to most of those players sadly.

I disagree.

As it is in the German psyche to be super-efficient and always get the job done then Scotland's psyche was oh so evident in our last two matches. Look back through the decades and when the chips are down (regardless of the players or manager we had) we more often than not cannot handle the pressure of expectancy and we all expected last Friday. Look at our exits from World Cups and it was down to under-performing against Zaire (1974), Iran (1978), New Zealand (1982), Costa Rica (1990) and Morocco (1998). That is not coincidence for me. In qualifying matches as well we have screwed up against too many minnows to mention. On Monday night it was a given we'd go down fighting as has been the case before when against super nations - another element of the Scottish psyche that thrives in the underdog role and when the pressure is off. We have seen that against Brazil (1974), Holland (1978), France (in recent years), Spain (narrow defeat) and Germany as well. For me the Poland game is a bit of a mix as the pressure is definitely on but Poland are too good to fall into category of underdogs so expectancy will not be weighing so much on our players. We need to rediscover our steel and solidity that we had at the beginning of the campaign and if we do we certainly have a chance.

Game vs Germany, and i wrote it here just after it, was our best tactically played game i`ve seen for years and our defensive engagement was immense. Germany created only half chances and we were lethal on the break. Coach Nawałka got it all right for that game plus strikers in form. You need a bit of luck in a lot of games but wen you`re winning 2:0 it`s hardly ever luck, whether you like it or not.

It wasn't luck that night, haven't seen a team play like that against germany in a long time. You weren't just immense in defence, in every area of the park you were that night. Just hope you aren't that good against us next month :lol: