France 98 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

France 98

PUFC

What ever happened to him? Does he still travel? Used to be a well known face in the 90s, for the older guys who can remember Scot Sport, he was in the opening credits with Viking hat behind goal at one of our Euro 92 games

Can also remember him leading a march the night before Norway game in Bordeaux 98 around the tented village

He was a speaker at a sportsmans' dinner I went to a couple of years back. Wasn't that great tbh, most of his stories were about growing up in Glasgow plus jokes that Bernard Manning would have rejected. Next to nothing about fitba or TA trips...

Edited by Toepoke

I remember the March in Bordeaux, night before the game, started in the tented village ended up randomly around all the suburban streets, French were hanging out their windows cheering and waving at us, despite it being after midnight and we had probably woken them up.

Great memories that seem a lifetime ago now, haven't seen the bloke in question since.

I arrived at 5am on the morning of the game and witnessed first hand the carnage of that night! Incidentally, on the train down from Paris, it was an absolute party. Many spirit bottles being passed between Norge and Scots, great times.

I would suggest however that the night before Morocco game was a match for the Norway one. 10,000 of us in a square in St Etienne cheering a Romania win over Engerland then partying to the wee small hours including many fountain dives.

"Scotlands going to Marseille, Englands going to Calais" was sung round and round. Fun while it lasted. (Marseille was the venue if we had qualified).

I was blootered that night in bordeaux and missed my bus back to our digs in a wee town called perigieux.I ended up getting an hours sleep on a park bench till some inconsiderate cooncil khunt came along and started picking up rubbish.I had to get the lads to bring my kilt etc into the city so i could get changed for the game.The white wine at 99p a bottle was brilliant the £10 bottle was shite :cheers3:

I remember the March in Bordeaux, night before the game, started in the tented village ended up randomly around all the suburban streets, French were hanging out their windows cheering and waving at us, despite it being after midnight and we had probably woken them up.

Great memories that seem a lifetime ago now, haven't seen the bloke in question since.

I was one of the guys at the front pushing the Tesco shopping trolley full of beer that had been loaded into the back of a van and driven all the way south. Pretty sure the "comedian" Jonathan Davis showed up and was videoing fans int he tented village (it was on our hotel doorstep, we got lucky as feck with that).

I was one of the guys at the front pushing the Tesco shopping trolley full of beer that had been loaded into the back of a van and driven all the way south. Pretty sure the "comedian" Jonathan Davis showed up and was videoing fans int he tented village (it was on our hotel doorstep, we got lucky as feck with that).

Best night ever? It's certainly up there, that's for sure. Fantastic atmosphere in the Place de la Republique where they had a bar representing every nation playing in Bordeaux during the group stages. Needless to say the Scotland bar wasn't getting much trade due to the quality of the alternatives.

I remember Adie leading the march round the square. He was right at the front, then two young guys jumped in with a Saltire ahead of him. Cue the hilarious sight of Adie's wee legs going twenty to the dozen to get back to the front again, then the young guys running ahead, and on, and on.

It's Alan Davies you mean and I think he says that's one of his greatest nights ever as well.