Most Overrated/underrated Scottish Band. - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most Overrated/underrated Scottish Band.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never saw what was so special about Simple Minds. My Dad chucked their keyboard player and his girlfriend oot of his taxi back in the 80's :-))

Camera Obscura are criminally underrated. Wonderful band, beautiful music.

Simple Minds' enduring popularity used to baffle me too. My earliest memories of them were of a fairly conventional mid-80s stadium rock act fronted by a prancing wannabe fitba' club owner.

Then a few years ago I chanced upon some of their earlier work on YouTube and I finally got it. Some of the stuff on their third, fourth and fifth albums is spectacular.

Simple Minds' enduring popularity used to baffle me too. My earliest memories of them were of a fairly conventional mid-80s stadium rock act fronted by a prancing wannabe fitba' club owner.

Then a few years ago I chanced upon some of their earlier work on YouTube and I finally got it. Some of the stuff on their third, fourth and fifth albums is spectacular.

I was pretty much the same.... They do not seem to really ever touch upon their really early stuff, so I only knew them for what they are known for, then stumbled on a YouTube video of a TV gig they did for STV in 79/80ish and was amazing (went and got their first 2/3 albums as a result)

I was going to say Bay City Rollers for both categories.

I think The Proclaimers are another one who could slip into both categories..... based on their biggest/best known hit they are very over-rated, yet their entire back catalogue is completely under-rated.

I cant see how Travis can be overrated theyre not that popular in thw grand scheme of things. Personally one of my favourits bands, but have to be in the mood to listen to them.

I loved Travis right up until Fran Healy started going all Bono-Bob Geldof'ish..... loved their first album.... "The Man Who" is one of my top albums.... "Invisible Band" I feel has not aged well (but still has a good couple of tunes on it) and "12 Memories" is very under-rated..... since then the only thing of note I feel they have done is Selfish Jean, as I just do not have the same warmth to them as much now......

:blink: I suppose Stu Sutcliffe was from Edinburgh. Not sure many people rated the band when he was in it though....

Beatles have a number of Scottish links..... Paul McCartneys cousin lives/lived in Largs (plus he has his farm in Argyll)..... George Harrisons mothers side of the family are originally from Skye or something (and he would regularly visit the place apparently) and sure John Lennon is suppose to have had family in Scotland (story is the harmonica he plays in Love me do was given to him by a bus driver in Edinburgh who got it from the lost property office)

Edited by wanderer

Lennon did have family up here and spent a lot of his childhood summers in Scotland.

He brought Yoko up on holiday after they got married and were involved in a car crash on the north coast where they were hospitalized.

Still a bit tenuous to call them a Scottish band though!

Edited by Toepoke

Lennon did have family up here and spent a lot of his childhood summers in Scotland.

He brought Yoko up on holiday after they got married and were involved in a car crash on the north coast where they were hospitalized.

Still a bit tenuous to call them a Scottish band though!

Agree, Brian Molko of Placebo mother is from Dundee, and he grew up in the city in his childhood, but would never consider them a Scottish band based on a tenuous link

Edited by wanderer