Play Off - What We Need - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off - What We Need

Toepoke

Just a wee summary to keep it simple.

Three possible permutations can guarantee us the play off spot:-

1) Beat Poland and Gibraltar. Ireland fail to beat Germany.

2) Beat Poland and Gibraltar. Ireland beat Germany and Poland.

3) Draw with Poland and beat Gibraltar. Ireland lose to Germany and Poland.

I think that's it :unsure:

For once we can all agree gilbralter game is a guaranteed 3 points. So we beat Poland. Germans thump Ireland to seal top spot we are in the playoffs.

Germany were superb the other night and if they repeat that against Ireland and Ireland get a result then they'll have merited the spot. Germany to seal the win though.

Only a win against Poland will do. Even a draw won't be enough as can't guarantee that Poland will go all out to beat Ireland knowing that a point is all they'll need.

Yes I agree. The best scenario for us is that we beat Poland and Ireland draw with Germany. That way going into the last round of matches Poland will still need a win so will be motivated to perform against Ireland.

As I see it if those results happen then in the final round of fixtures a win secures us a play-off spot regardless of results elsewhere.

If Poland beat Ireland we finish third and play-off spot is ours.

If Ireland win we get third pllace ahead of Poland on head-to-head.

If it is a draw in Ireland V Poland then third is still ours.

I think that is correct.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

The best scenario for us is that we beat Poland and Ireland draw with Germany. That way going into the last round of matches Poland will still need a win so will be motivated to perform against Ireland.

If that happened Poland would only need a draw v Ireland, and it wouldn't matter to us if they were motivated or not. Personally I'd like Ireland to qualify (ad long as we get there too!)

Edited by Toepoke

Only a win against Poland will do. Even a draw won't be enough as can't guarantee that Poland will go all out to beat Ireland knowing that a point is all they'll need.

I see getting a point off Poland as giving us a dug's chance. You'd rather not be in that position but at least it's a safety net if it doesn't happen for us at Hampden...

I've run through all the scores and these are the team I reckon are most likely to finish 3rd:

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Slovenia, Hungary, Israel, Turkey (Ukraine to be best placed 3rd)

No one to be particularly scared of there - though I'd fancy Slovenia, Hungary or Israel (if the seedings allowed for it)

Edited by norsefox

Yes I agree. The best scenario for us is that we beat Poland and Ireland draw with Germany. That way going into the last round of matches Poland will still need a win so will be motivated to perform against Ireland.

As I see it if those results happen then in the final round of fixtures a win secures us a play-off spot regardless of results elsewhere.

If Poland beat Ireland we finish third and play-off spot is ours.

If Ireland win we get third pllace ahead of Poland on head-to-head.

If it is a draw in Ireland V Poland then third is still ours.

I think that is correct.

Is this not overly complicating things - From what I can see using a results calculator if Scotland beat Poland and germany beat Ireland ( The most likely result in Germany game) Poland would be on 17, Ireland 15 and Scotland 14 --- With Scotland getting a gauranteed 3 pts against Gibraltar to take us to 17 - Any result in Poland v Ireland game would leave us ahead of Ireland if Poland win or it's a draw, and level on 17 with Poland - and 3rd on haed to head by virtue of getting 4 pts out of 6 - if ireland win.....

4 points from our last 2 games can be enough. If Ireland lose both games against Germany and Poland. (which is very possible)

We'd be level on points and a better head to head. Poland wouldn't be guaranteed 2nd spot yet if they draw with us so would be going for a win. I can certainly see Ireland losing both games.

We should definitely not be playing for a draw though.

We beat Poland and Ireland either lose/ or draw to Germany then we are near enough through to the playoffs(of course, if we don't mess up v Gibraltar).

I have no complaints though. We messed up in Georgia, but we still have a 'decent' chance.

If we do not beat Poland, and Ireland pick up points in both their final games then well done to them, and we simply aren't good enough.

We beat Poland, and say Ireland - Germany ends 1-1.

Pol 17 Ire 16 Sco 14

We beat Gibraltar, and if all 3 results happen in the Pol-Ire game - we are through

Pol 1-0 Ireland = Pol 20 Sco 17 Ire 16

Pol 1-1 Ireland = Pol 18 Sco 17 Ire 17 (better head to head)

Pol 1-2 Ireland = Ire 19 Sco 17 Pol 17 (better head to head)

We beat Poland, and say Ireland - Germany ends 1-1.

Pol 17 Ire 16 Sco 14

We beat Gibraltar, and if all 3 results happen in the Pol-Ire game - we are through

Pol 1-0 Ireland = Pol 20 Sco 17 Ire 16

Pol 1-1 Ireland = Pol 18 Sco 17 Ire 17 (better head to head)

Pol 1-2 Ireland = Ire 19 Sco 17 Pol 17 (better head to head)

Yes. That is what I was saying earlier.