Learning Bagpipes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Learning Bagpipes

I have always fancied playing the bagpipes so decided to take the plunge and get on with it. I am looking into buying a practice chanter to get myself started and have asked the gf for lessons for Christmas.

I am completely clueless as to what to buy though. Looking for a good quality chanter with complete novice instruction book to get me started.

I cam across this site http://www.hotpipes.com/pract3.html

They sell Extra-Long "Millennium 2000" Practice Chanter with either Green Book or Cairns Bagpipe Soultions tutorial series Vols. 1, 2 & 3. It isn't cheap though but I don't mind paying for a decent package, if this one is any decent that is. This is an American company though.

Can anyone reccomend a good chanter and instruction book?

I have always fancied playing the bagpipes so decided to take the plunge and get on with it. I am looking into buying a practice chanter to get myself started and have asked the gf for lessons for Christmas.

I am completely clueless as to what to buy though. Looking for a good quality chanter with complete novice instruction book to get me started.

I cam across this site http://www.hotpipes.com/pract3.html

They sell Extra-Long "Millennium 2000" Practice Chanter with either Green Book or Cairns Bagpipe Soultions tutorial series Vols. 1, 2 & 3. It isn't cheap though but I don't mind paying for a decent package, if this one is any decent that is. This is an American company though.

Can anyone reccomend a good chanter and instruction book?

Go visit the piping centre or piping college in Glasgow for advice, they will be able to point you in right direction for kit and lessons. If your down Ayrshire way it may be worth popping into McCallum's in Kilmarnock.

Always worth paying your local band a visit as well as they may have free tuition. Find yourself a Grade 4 band who offer it.

Ditch the pipes and take up side instead though...

Edited by goodguy

When my lad started I picked up the starter pack from the National Piping Centre and it was absolutely fine, it was about £40 then but £55 now, includes a tuition CD as well as the book if I remember correctly.

http://www.thebagpipeshop.co.uk/791/products/the-national-piping-centre-complete-starter-pack.aspx

Agree with this. The folk that work at the Piping Centre have been very helpful whenever I've been in for stuff for my son. They are all knowledgeable and friendly too which also helps! :ok:

I live too far away from the piping centre.

After some research the Gibson and Mccallum chanters came up a lot so I went for a Mccallum pc5 long if that means anything to anyone. The Gibson seemed more popular but weren't in stock.

Edited by iainmac1

I think that's what I have and like it. I started with a shorter practice chanter and much prefer the longer one as it's more like your pipe chanter.

As much as you'll be desperate to pick up tunes, it's so worth continual practice of all the embellishments etc. sadly I don't follow my own advice, which is probably why I'm not any better!

And I'd echo the post earlier about trying to find a local grade 4 band. That's what eventually got me from chanter to pipes. Many of them will offer tuition for perhaps a small subscription to the band. Great banter as well. Although last thing I needed was another circle of friends to drink with!

I live too far away from the piping centre.

After some research the Gibson and Mccallum chanters came up a lot so I went for a Mccallum pc5 long if that means anything to anyone. The Gibson seemed more popular but weren't in stock.

Where are you based? Might be able to put you in touch with a band. Edited by goodguy