Days Out In Ayrshire - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm heading to Troon for 3 nights at the start of the October for a wee hotel break with the kids (boy 9 girl 6....going on 16)

I've had a wee look on the usual sites but was looking for any hidden gem ideas what to do nearby if the weather isn't great (more likely).......and ideas if the weather is ok (wishful thinking)

Cheers

If you head south, doing Burns Cottage (plus the new visitor center) and then Culzean Castle in one day is a good day out.

Other option is to head north and see Kelburn Country Park and Castle in Fairlie, and then head into Largs for a Ice Cream at Nardini's, then something to eat at Room or Lounge (do pretty good family meal deals in there.... both owned by same guy, but prefer Room myself) and if you have time, maybe head across to Millport (10 minutes on the ferry from Largs and then 5-10 minutes on the bus round to the town).

Dumfries House next to Cumnock is also a good day out as well.

Edited by wanderer

Dean Castle and country park is probably the best Killie has to offer.

Apart from the fitba obviously...

Dick Institute sometimes has some good things on in it.

Dean Castle I think has recently been taken over by someone new for the running of it and seems to be going down hill (we used to take the wee one for a run around and play on the swings when the weather has been good, but last few times have not been as good)

Do your kids like pigs ? Apparently there is a piggery at a place called Somerset Park. They also apparently play football there - they must shoo the pigs off the grass. A curious and hilarious fact I found out via kilipedia is that the team who play there - Ayr Juniors or something, have unbelievably won fvck all and apparently never will ! Their most famous fan is Davie Cameron PM.

Culzean Castle. There's a good way from Culzean Bay to Maidens Bay as well, go at low tide on the beach under the castle and see the seacaves.

Dundonald castle is also good in Ayrshire.

There's a great walk along the River Ayr in its mid section, where it turns into a gorge. I have a feeling that section of path is closed at the moment due to a landslide.