Madrid Digs - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Madrid Digs

Thanks for that, looks ok, booked it just now

No problem, hope you have a great time!

Plaza Mayor is a 2 minute walk away, and be sure to check out the tapas bars in the student quarter behind it. It's fab.

Gran Via is fantastic for shopping, and a 5 minute walk down Calle Arenal will take you to the Royal Palace. The City Cathedral is pretty much next door too.

The Retiro Park is also worth a visit - The Bernabeu & Vincente Calderon stadium tours are worth doing as well, especially the former.

If you fancy venturing out of the city, you could do worse than get the train from Chamartin to El Escorial - The Monastery is stunning, and you could happily spend an afternoon/morning walking around the town.

I don't know how long you are going for, but you will not be bored. An excellent city, enjoy!

Thanks for any advice. This will be our 1st time in Madrid. The wife chose it for my upcoming birthday in November. I wanted to go to Barcelona again but I guess it's good to try somewhere different.

Edited by crossan

No problem, hope you have a great time!

Plaza Mayor is a 2 minute walk away, and be sure to check out the tapas bars in the student quarter behind it. It's fab.

Gran Via is fantastic for shopping, and a 5 minute walk down Calle Arenal will take you to the Royal Palace. The City Cathedral is pretty much next door too.

The Retiro Park is also worth a visit - The Bernabeu & Vincente Calderon stadium tours are worth doing as well, especially the former.

If you fancy venturing out of the city, you could do worse than get the train from Chamartin to El Escorial - The Monastery is stunning, and you could happily spend an afternoon/morning walking around the town.

I don't know how long you are going for, but you will not be bored. An excellent city, enjoy!

Well worth a visit. Spent a few hours there on my way to Madrid a few years back and still didn't see all of it properly.

Just had 24 hours in Madrid on the way back from Menorca. We were in an airport hotel with free shuttle as we had 2 wee ones,pram etc, but jumped on the Metro for a quick scoot around. Was dead easy to use as you get tickets from the machine and just pop them into the turnstile. Managed to have a snack beside the Puerta de Alcala before crossing the avenue to Retiro park to let the kids run wild. Have to admit the shopping looks great. Lots of cool looking stuff from Spanish brands at reasonable prices, and lots of cool cafes for pitstops. Calle Hortaleza was basically chocablock with shoe shops if the Mrs likes shoes ? Adolfo Dominguez has great designs. The suits looked great. Could have spent a fortune but skint as end of 3 week hol. Saw enough to want to go back. Great city.