Gordon Mcqueen Interview - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Mcqueen Interview

Saw this interview today - don't think it's been posted on the TAMB yet. He's not in a great way but seems to have a positive outlook.

He was a hero of mine back in the day. Such a loss to the squad for Argentina '78. I liked the story about him assembling a scratch team, also involving Dalglish and Jordan in 1969...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/english/gordon-mcqueen-football-prepared-me-for-cancer-battle-1-3898880

Had the pleasure of meeting him when he was doing a Whyte & MacKay promotion at Cumbernauld. Absolute gentleman and he was a good laugh, was good enough to sign a bottle for a charity night I ran that year.

When I was growing up in Kilmacolm we used to play football every Sunday. Gordon McQueen came down one Sunday, he had just moved into the village, and asked if he could get a game.

Someone not realising who he was asked if was any good.

To be fair he took it well.

Hopefully he pulls through, an absolute colossus in defence.

Edited by Kittymeister

This interview reminds me why Leeds have always been my English team.

Had the pleasure to meet Gordon when I played at Football Aid at Hampden in 2004.

An absolute gentleman and down to earth guy.

Hope he recovers from his current health problems

Mine too :)

Aye. Signed big Gogo from Kilbirnie Ladeside. Was the only full time player in a part time Saints team at the time. We sold him to Leeds for a pittance thanks to the bank manager leaning on us for some funds. Within a year he was part of Leeds title winning side.

Met him when he visited his nephew, who was in my class at school. Really nice guy although fecking huge and scary when you are only wee!

Hope he recovers as he's definitely a legend.

Cheers for posting, my first memory of watching St Mirren as a 5/6 year old was the big man.

He also talks about the other less well known Jocks at Leeds, one of them being John Taylor who was a good mate of mine in Jersey who sadly passed away a couple of years ago. Lovely to hear big G mention him.