Golfers Forum. - Page 31 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

1 minute ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Just using a cheap set of RAMs. 10 year old. They do the job. Less concerned about the clubs than I am about my swing, although getting a proper fit is probably main reason for getting a new set. Can hit them well enough anyway - just consistency that's the issue. Like I said, after shelling out on green fees, set of clubs will have to wait for Santa I think.

Yes, the swing is obviously the most important part.  I'm not being cheeky, but the Ram's probably won't be helping you and there are clubs that there that will, which in turn adds to the enjoyment. You're right though, it's nae cheap and people have other priorities.

12 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Yes, the swing is obviously the most important part.  I'm not being cheeky, but the Ram's probably won't be helping you and there are clubs that there that will, which in turn adds to the enjoyment. You're right though, it's nae cheap and people have other priorities.

Yeah, Im aware the clubs arent the best and they are a priority to replace. Eyeballing the winter for that though and getting used to a different fit if I can afford them. Like I said though, Im not swinging or putting anywhere near consistently enough and that's something I just need to work on in the meantime. Regardless, Im enjoying it and not getting too frustrated at the inconsistencies. Because I know Im going to be playing more consistently, Im just trying to concentrate on getting something from every round. On the odd occasion I played golf previously, it was always just about grabbing a club and hitting it hard at the green whereas now, Im at least thinking about yardage and course management.

Played yesterday in brutal conditions at Auchterarder and with a nominal handicap of 18, posted scores on 14 of the 18 holes and it averaged out at 27 points. Given the conditions, was pretty happy with that even if I didnt play overly great. The other 4 holes though? Wild. :P

Before you splash out on a full set of new irons, I would suggest you try some hybrids to replace your 3, 4 and maybe even you 5 iron. Then you would only need the 6-9 irons. I know Flora doesn't like them but he is almost a professional. For most mid and higher handicappers the hybrids are much easier to hit consistently. Everybody I know who has moved to hybrids swear they would never contemplate going back to trying to hit 3 or 4 irons off the fairway.

I know new clubs are dear but it doesn't need to be too expensive. Ebay is your friend here. Just have a look for something you fancy trying, and put in a ridiculously low bid. If you get lucky you can pick up clubs for little more than the postage. If you try it and don't like it, stick it back on Ebay again. Most pros have a variety of clubs that they will let you borrow for a round to try them out. Of course they are hoping you will find one you like, and buy one off them but they wont be offended if you don't.

Edited by Orraloon

I have contemplated having a look on e-bay but Im more interested in a decent fit than any particular set or buying on the cheap. Will speak to the pro at the club and see what he recommends. Might do it in stages - replace woods first, maybe putter then look at irons when have a bit more cash.

Thanks for the tips lads.

6 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Thanks. Got a cheap set of clubs about 10 years ago for a trip to Vancouver. Looking to get a new set fitted next year maybe. Hard enough justifying the money on a membership without buying a new set of clubs as well. :) But on shopping list: new clubs, new bag, trolley. Not a cheap hobby that's for sure. :)

Likewise. Game is very inconsistent at moment but hoping a regular game will sort that out over time. 

Aye im getting there with the consistency, slowly but surley

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2016 at 10:49 AM, SMcoolJ said:

Tain and Dornoch a great shout (Brora also very decent).  Stay in the Castle Hotel in Dornoch.  If you drink enough whisky and stay up late, the barman will give you the keys to the bar and an honesty box.  Take some paracetamol.

Another shout would be to go to Lossiemouth.  Moray Old (Links) and Elgin (Parkland) are two of the most underrated and excellent courses I've played.  Lossie also good for a night oot - plenty of decent pubs.

Was also going to suggest these and you could also add in Forres and Hopeman which are close by. 

Out of the 5 I would say Lossie is the best, and like you say a really decent night out for a bit grub and beer.

Works competition continues tomorrow at Falkirk Tryst. Currently 2nd in the standings. 

77 last week at West Lothian. Finished 2nd on the day but a couple of places ahead of the leader so I gain on him at least. 

Best course I've played this season. Absolutely immaculate condition and a few very tricky holes that got you thinking. Highly recommended.  

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

Works competition continues tomorrow at Falkirk Tryst. Currently 2nd in the standings. 

77 last week at West Lothian. Finished 2nd on the day but a couple of places ahead of the leader so I gain on him at least. 

Best course I've played this season. Absolutely immaculate condition and a few very tricky holes that got you thinking. Highly recommended.  

That's my Bro's home course.

13 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

WL I assume? I lived over that way for a while so have played it before, but not fir a while. Forgot how good it was. 

Aye, I used to play there 20 years ago, all changed now.

Had a wee trip down memory lane to Scarborough and Filey at the weekend - first time back there since I worked at Butlins Filey for a summer season in 1979.

Played Scarborough South Cliff (£18 on teeofftimes) - then decided I was still fit enough to play Filey (£16 after 4pm). Both good courses but realy enjoyed Scarborough.

Saturday - went to Whitby on the way back - fabulous town really enjoyed it then played Whitby golf course in afternoon (£10 on teeofftimes) - another good course -- has a ravine with a path which you have to hit across 150 yards on 2 holes - then cross it by a narrow walkbridge - managed to cross both times  but the first time the hole then goes dog leg uphill with the green 10 yards short of a pub with loads of folk in back garden all watching , clapping and whooing when putt going near hole. Very different experience.

16 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Had a wee trip down memory lane to Scarborough and Filey at the weekend - first time back there since I worked at Butlins Filey for a summer season in 1979.

Played Scarborough South Cliff (£18 on teeofftimes) - then decided I was still fit enough to play Filey (£16 after 4pm). Both good courses but realy enjoyed Scarborough.

Saturday - went to Whitby on the way back - fabulous town really enjoyed it then played Whitby golf course in afternoon (£10 on teeofftimes) - another good course -- has a ravine with a path which you have to hit across 150 yards on 2 holes - then cross it by a narrow walkbridge - managed to cross both times  but the first time the hole then goes dog leg uphill with the green 10 yards short of a pub with loads of folk in back garden all watching , clapping and whooing when putt going near hole. Very different experience.

Sounds like you must have been playing well.  I'm going to buy some Ram irons!

34 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Those were for the poor folk. I was more of a Titleist HP2 Tour man myself :)

At one point the Penfold was the state of the art golf ball. All the top pros were using them. Before my time like.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

At one point the Penfold was the state of the art golf ball. All the top pros were using them. Before my time like.

It was guaranteed to last for 144 holes, provided you didn't lose it of course. Penfold have made a comeback though without the           Commando  http://www.penfoldgolf.com/penfold-black-heart-set-soft-4-piece-golf-balls

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

It was guaranteed to last for 144 holes, provided you didn't lose it of course. Penfold have made a comeback though without the           Commando  http://www.penfoldgolf.com/penfold-black-heart-set-soft-4-piece-golf-balls

I have nothing but admiration for those folk who can keep a golf ball long enough to wear it out.:lol:

6 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

It was difficult to hit a commando far enough to lose it.

I was convinced gravity affected them differently, I can mind hitting some of my best drives they look like they're sailing then it drops like a stone.