Golfers Forum. - Page 32 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

72 at Falkirk Tryst today. Two 3 putts from inside 20 feet which was annoying but another than that probably as well as I've played this year. 

Another course that's in cracking condition. Some very tight holes on it. Interestingly 3 of the holes were more difficult from the yellow markers as they dropped to long par 4's rather than short par 5's. A bit of prior knowledge would defenitely help round there and there was an element of just trusting your yardages. The amount of hazards and trees meant a few approach shots were quite deceiving. Think I prefer a course like that though. 

Edited by Angus_Young

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent the last 4 days marshalling at the Scottish Open, saw some great golf and it was good too see the pros struggle in the wind on a couple of the days.

Managed to upset one of the golfers after finding his ball after he'd given up and had gone back towards his provisional, (it was in the middle of a gorse bush though).

Did another wee weekend Billy Nomates trip from Newcastle to Hull and Bridlington. Mainly bagging another rugby league ground to watch Hull FC v Leeds. Played Hull Golf Club on Friday - £18 on teeofftimes - normally £50 on website - quite posh - pro let me play anytime as Id arrived 45 mins before booked time - millionaire's golf course was empty having been closed due to rain earlier in morning. Fabulous condition but some big long par fours that I just cant reach in two. Bridlington on Saturday  - played Flamborough Head - really exposed but a wee bit samey on front nine with a lot of downhill drives and up hill again to greens - again too difficult for me to reach some of them with the length and the wind against me. Intended to play Forest of Galtres near York on the way back but had a bit of a hangover and hen I reached the course realised I could hardly walk so got straight back in the car and offsski.

Had another group of dicks in front of me on Thursday at South Moor near Durham. Wouldn't let me through then two lovely ladies let them through and me straight behind them. Khunts still wouldn't let me through - so when I came down the eighteenth they were loading their cars in the car park and I strolled over and told them what a bunch of pricks they were. Cue the single player has no standing shyte - then one of them muttering "Scottish git" as I went back to the green. Love a good argie bargie on the course now  -wwill get my head kicked in at some point. 

On 10/07/2016 at 8:48 PM, ibelieve!!! said:

Dunno why I've quoted you!

Anyway works order of merit continues tomorrow at Braehead just outside Alloa. Played it many times and been a member previously. Always in Good nick and probably my favourite track in the area. 

75 today. Little bit disappointed as I felt like I hit it really well. Doubled 10 and tripled 15 to come back in 40. Effectively level par for the other 16 holes so cant moan too much. 

Anyone any tips for long putting? I feel like I've a chance of holing anything inside 15 feet just now, but for anything a bit longer I'm racing them by. Twice today I was around 40 foot from the hole and I put it nearly 20 feet past. Regularly leaving myself 4-6 footers for pars too. Not a bad thing to be giving them a chance but would quite like the odd tap in :D

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

75 today. Little bit disappointed as I felt like I hit it really well. Doubled 10 and tripled 15 to come back in 40. Effectively level par for the other 16 holes so cant moan too much. 

Anyone any tips for long putting? I feel like I've a chance of holing anything inside 15 feet just now, but for anything a bit longer I'm racing them by. Twice today I was around 40 foot from the hole and I put it nearly 20 feet past. Regularly leaving myself 4-6 footers for pars too. Not a bad thing to be giving them a chance but would quite like the odd tap in :D

Have you tried not hitting them so hard?:blink:

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

When you practice putt for long and lag putts, do it while looking at the hole. Gives yer brain a chance to work out the distance. Works for me......

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Funnily enough I bumped into my mate (ex-Pro)  when I finished and he said, 'try not to take as big a backswing'. :)

Both of you get a prize for stating the obvious but are totally correct. It's something my entire game has suffered from over the years. Hitting the ball too hard I mean. It has its advantages but when things go wrong, they REALLY go wrong. Very difficult to slow down once you are used to it. Im probably needing to get a few lessons. 

4 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Funnily enough I bumped into my mate (ex-Pro)  when I finished and he said, 'try not to take as big a backswing'. :)

Both of you get a prize for stating the obvious but are totally correct. It's something my entire game has suffered from over the years. Hitting the ball too hard I mean. It has its advantages but when things go wrong, they REALLY go wrong. Very difficult to slow down once you are used to it. Im probably needing to get a few lessons. 

I would say the opposite will happen if you shorten your backswing, you will compensate by accelerating through the ball. People with long backswing putts normally decelerate and hit putts short left (pull). 

7 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

How often do you practice putting? IMO, it's the part of your game you should practice the most. In any round of golf you hit more putts than any other shot, yet most folk hardly ever practice putting. 

6 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I would say the opposite will happen if you shorten your backswing, you will compensate by accelerating through the ball. People with long backswing putts normally decelerate and hit putts short left (pull). 

Aye he said the same and reckons it's very common amongst amateur/club players. You see the longer putt and take a much bigger backswing.  I obviously don't have the declaration problem though. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

How often do you practice putting? IMO, it's the part of your game you should practice the most. In any round of golf you hit more putts than any other shot, yet most folk hardly ever practice putting. 

I don't practise at all mate apart from hitting balls before I go out. Ive not been a member anywhere since 2014 but I get out about twice a month. 

Totally agree with you btw. 

Edited by Angus_Young

7 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

I don't practise at all mate apart from hitting balls before I go out. Ive not been a member anywhere since 2014 but I get out about twice a month. 

Totally agree with you btw. 

You must be one of those annoying naturally talented gits who hardly ever plays but then just strolls up and shoots 75. I play about 3 times a week and if I break 90, I've had a good round. :lol: 75??????? FFS 75? and you're not happy with it? If you could sort out your putting you could turn pro next year.:lol:

Haha I read this back last night and was very aware just how much of a tosser I sounded!!!! Apologies mate :)

In all seriousness it's not I was unhappy, just felt like the last two weeks is as well as I could have played, but still left shots out there so it should have been a better score.  Im probably coming up 20 years where my handicap has been around where it is just now and it's always just been one or two basic things that has cost me. At the minute, my long putting is the culprit. 

13 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Try and pitch it closer. 

That'll eliminate any need to hole a 40 footer. :P

There's something to be said for not trying to improve your game. Playing more in last couple of months than Ive ever done since I was a lad and stupidly tried to change a couple of things in my iron play - and my game has collapsed into a total mess. :( Going to try and speak to a pro and sort it out. Absolutely infuriating sport. 

• 2 weeks later...

78 at Alloa GC today. Two doubles on the back 9, one of which I was playing my second from 90 yards. Infuriating game at times. 

Lag putting was much better though, just didn't hit it all that great. Pretty good off the tee, but my approach shots were scabby. 

Anyone know what the rule is regards handicaps from yellow Tees? I had always worked off 3/4 but apparently it's now changed to 9/10ths? 

7 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

78 at Alloa GC today. Two doubles on the back 9, one of which I was playing my second from 90 yards. Infuriating game at times. 

Lag putting was much better though, just didn't hit it all that great. Pretty good off the tee, but my approach shots were scabby. 

Anyone know what the rule is regards handicaps from yellow Tees? I had always worked off 3/4 but apparently it's now changed to 9/10ths? 

Better Ball? If so it's 90% allowance. If it's single stroke play it has nothing to do with percentages you just take your handicap v the ss of the tees you play from on the day.

So, I've been off the course since early June having torn my left knee cartilage. Nursing myself back to health with the aid of Physio and hope to make an initial comeback in 2 or 3 weeks.  Some changes required to the swing to take the pivot off the knee and turn the torso more instead.  Lessons beckon. 

In addition, it's been suggested I remove strain on knees by getting an electric trolley instead of carrying clubs.  Jeez, but they're expensive.  Anyone have any recommendations on these?  Worth getting lithium battery?  Offmetrolley - https://www.amazon.co.uk/offmetrolley%C2%AE-Z1-hole-Electric-Trolley/dp/B00HW4YAOY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1469389928&sr=1-1&keywords=offmetrolley+z1l#customerReviews - any use as an alternative to Motocaddy or Powakaddy?  

5 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Your handicap is the same no matter which tees you play off. It's the Standard Scratch Score (SSS) which can be different depending on which tees you play off. The SSS for different tees will be on the scorecard.

As macy says the new 90% rule only applies to fourball better ball doubles matches, and nothing else.

15 hours ago, macy37 said:

Better Ball? If so it's 90% allowance. If it's single stroke play it has nothing to do with percentages you just take your handicap v the ss of the tees you play from on the day.

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Your handicap is the same no matter which tees you play off. It's the Standard Scratch Score (SSS) which can be different depending on which tees you play off. The SSS for different tees will be on the scorecard.

As macy says the new 90% rule only applies to fourball better ball doubles matches, and nothing else.

Cheers lads. My handicap isn't official at the minute (although it's never changed much in the last 15 years) and the only golf Im playing is through a wee order of merit thing we do at work. No money changes hands or anything and isn't taken too seriously. 

We have the Scottish work event coming up and because it's good prizes the organisers have asked anyone with an unofficial handicap to look at their scores in relation to their handicap, just to make sure there isn't huge discrepancies. 

But as said above, our wee 'society' play from bounce tees, the Scottish event is medals.

17 hours ago, aljay said:

So, I've been off the course since early June having torn my left knee cartilage. Nursing myself back to health with the aid of Physio and hope to make an initial comeback in 2 or 3 weeks.  Some changes required to the swing to take the pivot off the knee and turn the torso more instead.  Lessons beckon. 

In addition, it's been suggested I remove strain on knees by getting an electric trolley instead of carrying clubs.  Jeez, but they're expensive.  Anyone have any recommendations on these?  Worth getting lithium battery?  Offmetrolley - https://www.amazon.co.uk/offmetrolley%C2%AE-Z1-hole-Electric-Trolley/dp/B00HW4YAOY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1469389928&sr=1-1&keywords=offmetrolley+z1l#customerReviews - any use as an alternative to Motocaddy or Powakaddy?  

Just buy a push trolley. 

A lot cheaper and very easy to push around. 

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/gps-bags-equipment/push-pull-trolleys

Take your pick.