Golfers Forum. - Page 33 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

8 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Cheers lads. My handicap isn't official at the minute (although it's never changed much in the last 15 years) and the only golf Im playing is through a wee order of merit thing we do at work. No money changes hands or anything and isn't taken too seriously. 

We have the Scottish work event coming up and because it's good prizes the organisers have asked anyone with an unofficial handicap to look at their scores in relation to their handicap, just to make sure there isn't huge discrepancies. 

But as said above, our wee 'society' play from bounce tees, the Scottish event is medals.

You should be playing off a 6 handicap. Doesn't matter which tees you are playing off.

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

How are you working that out? 

Sorry that was wrong. i gave you 6 because I thought you had scored 6 over par. But looking back I now see you scored 72 at Falkirk Tryst which is 3 over SSS. So that's you cut to 3. You wouldn't want to win a competition playing off a dodgy handicap.

Managed a 3rd at the medal on Saturday at Machrihanish, not been playing much so happy with that, the triple bogey at 13 from the middle of the fairway was poor but the rest was decent, down to 10.3, would love to get under 10 but can't see it this year 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:
31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sorry that was wrong. i gave you 6 because I thought you had scored 6 over par. But looking back I now see you scored 72 at Falkirk Tryst which is 3 over SSS. So that's you cut to 3. You wouldn't want to win a competition playing off a dodgy handicap.

Ha ha aye very good mate. 67 round there off the yellows I'm sure so that would make it 5 :)

2 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Ha ha aye very good mate. 67 round there off the yellows I'm sure so that would make it 5 :)

I thought the SSS at Falkirk Tryst was 69? I suppose that must be off the medal tees?

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I thought the SSS at Falkirk Tryst was 69? I suppose that must be off the medal tees?

Almost certain it's 67 from the yellows, although thats to par, not sure if the SSS is the same. Ill need to find out anyway so i can work this out properly so I'll let you know :)

Id imagine I'll be somewhere around 7 or 8 looking at the various scores I've had. 

2 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Almost certain it's 67 from the yellows, although thats to par, not sure if the SSS is the same. Ill need to find out anyway so i can work this out properly so I'll let you know :)

Id imagine I'll be somewhere around 7 or 8 looking at the various scores I've had. 

Aye, that could be right 69 off the medals and 67 off the forward tees. 

You have played to 5 over SSS very recently,, so it would be wrong to claim 7 or 8 as your handicap. Surely you wouldn't get any satisfaction from winning a competition playing off a false handicap?

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, that could be right 69 off the medals and 67 off the forward tees. 

You have played to 5 over SSS very recently,, so it would be wrong to claim 7 or 8 as your handicap. Surely you wouldn't get any satisfaction from winning a competition playing off a false handicap?

Haha I'm sure you already know That's not really how the handicap system works mate? You don't just add or subtract full shots for one good or bad round. My last round (two days ago) was +10. By your logic should I play off 10 then? :)

My last official handicap was 9 which was at the end of 2014. Lowest I've ever been is 6. That was about 12 years ago. Handicap in the last decade has predominantly been 8, occasionally dipping down to 7. Had a stinker of a year in 2014 so it crept up a bit. 

I suppose the fairest way to work it out would be to look at my work society scores from the past two years and work it out from there? Unless you or anyone else has a better/fairer way of doing it? That was probably what I was asking in the first place, and yer right I wouldn't take any satisfaction from getting a prize unfairly.  

As I understand it, you should only be playing to your handicap "on a good day" or about 20% of the time.  Based on your recent ones, I'd be looking for you take a 6.  7 tops...

24 minutes ago, aljay said:

As I understand it, you should only be playing to your handicap "on a good day" or about 20% of the time.  Based on your recent ones, I'd be looking for you take a 6.  7 tops...

That makes no sense at all mate. If you were only playing to your handicap 20% of the time, how would you ever get cut? What I mean is, you need to actually beat your handicap to get cut. If you just play to it, it just remains the same. 

Edited by Angus_Young

i read it somewhere...

okay, just googled "how often should you play to your golf handicap?" and the top 3 answers are as follows:

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/11904/Do_you_play_to_your_handicap.html

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?36908-How-often-in-a-year-should-you-play-to-your-handicap/page3

http://www.golfmagic.com/forum/golf-rules-handicapping/how-often-should-i-play-to-my-handicap/44454

so, yeah.  about 15%.  or 3 / 4 times per year.  or, you should expect to add 25%+ 1.5 onto your handicap for your score most rounds (ie 10 handicappers should expect to be about 14 over most days)

apparently.

Have to say in 20 years of playing golf I've never heard of that mate.  Still doesn't make much sense to me having read through a few of the posts. That said when my handicap was official I was playing medals every weekend so your handicap would naturally be where it should be, and fluctuate accordingly, based on those scores, and it never really changed from 8 too many times. 

For the last two years I've just been playing off 8 for bounce games for that reason, but like I said above because this competition is coming up, and there are prizes involved, I would rather someone decided properly what it should be, rather than me basing it on  'thats what I always played off'. 

I've dropped the handicap secretary from my old club a line to see what he thinks. 

I only picked up that 20% theory when someone/everyone queried my 17 hc as I shot a 81 in competition conditions last year (away from my club). I said I normally played mid-high 80s but every so often will  blaze round in 80/81.  

Got told I should be playing off 12 then, as you shouldn't often be able to play to hc. I had thought it was average scores but was informed it's the average of your very best scores. 

And a quick google backed that up. Hope I'm not coming across as a smart arse, as I said this is a new theory to me, but it seems to hold true. 

No you're not at all mate, but that's not how a handicap is worked out, or certainly not how I understand it. 

The way I've always seen it done is you initially hand in 3 cards to get a handicap. Once that is established you are put into a category 1-5 and you get cut in accordance with your category and buffer rules. 

Given you are off 18 I'm sure you know this system as well (so I won't treat you like an idiot by explaining it) and someone can't just decide you are off 12 for having one good day?  I mean you will obviously have been cut for that score?if you were consistently scoring like that in medals then your handicap will come down anyway. 

What can happen is you can be cut in general play. It's usually if someone can't manage to play in many medals so their handicap doesn't move, but its quite obvious that he/she is consistently playing to a better standard than their handicap.

I think :)

Edited by Angus_Young

It's very simple. Look up the CONGU website if you don't believe me. You either have never had a handicap or your handicap has lapsed. In both cases you need to submit 3 cards to get a new handicap. You have submitted 3 cards to the TAMB handicap committee (i.e.  me;)). They way it works is that we take your best score out of the 3 then subtract the SSS for that course and BINGO that's your new handicap. Easy peasy.

Here you go. I looked it up  for you.

"What are the requirements for obtaining a CONGU® Handicap ?

Having satisfied the requirements for membership of a Club, CONGU® requires that to get a handicap a player must submit cards from 54 holes of golf, marked by a person approved by the Club. The rounds must be played at that Club over a measured course and may consist of any mix of 9 hole or 18 hole cards, though the preference is for 3 x 18 hole scores. The Club will then adjust the returned scores, so that a lady never records more than 3 over par and a man never more than 2 over par on any individual hole. The cards are then assessed and the club allocates a CONGU® handicap based on the amount the lowest score returned exceeds the Standard Scratch Score of the course played (after taking into account other factors it considers relevant)."

http://www.congu.com/obtaining.htm

5 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Have to say in 20 years of playing golf I've never heard of that mate.  Still doesn't make much sense to me having read through a few of the posts. That said when my handicap was official I was playing medals every weekend so your handicap would naturally be where it should be, and fluctuate accordingly, based on those scores, and it never really changed from 8 too many times. 

For the last two years I've just been playing off 8 for bounce games for that reason, but like I said above because this competition is coming up, and there are prizes involved, I would rather someone decided properly what it should be, rather than me basing it on  'thats what I always played off'. 

I've dropped the handicap secretary from my old club a line to see what he thinks. 

Your handicap should be pretty close to your best possible score not your average score. 

4 hours ago, aljay said:

I only picked up that 20% theory when someone/everyone queried my 17 hc as I shot a 81 in competition conditions last year (away from my club). I said I normally played mid-high 80s but every so often will  blaze round in 80/81.  

Got told I should be playing off 12 then, as you shouldn't often be able to play to hc. I had thought it was average scores but was informed it's the average of your very best scores. 

And a quick google backed that up. Hope I'm not coming across as a smart arse, as I said this is a new theory to me, but it seems to hold true. 

You're not coming across as a smart arse. That's my job.:lol: I know the rules. It's just hard getting some folk to believe them sometimes.;) 

I think you are pretty much spot on with everything you have posted about this.:ok:

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It's very simple. Look up the CONGU website if you don't believe me. You either have never had a handicap or your handicap has lapsed. In both cases you need to submit 3 cards to get a new handicap. You have submitted 3 cards to the TAMB handicap committee (i.e.  me;)). They way it works is that we take your best score out of the 3 then subtract the SSS for that course and BINGO that's your new handicap. Easy peasy.

Having satisfied the requirements for membership of a Club, CONGU® requires that to get a handicap a player must submit cards from 54 holes of golf, marked by a person approved by the Club. The rounds must be played at that Club over a measured course and may consist of any mix of 9 hole or 18 hole cards, though the preference is for 3 x 18 hole scores. The Club will then adjust the returned scores, so that a lady never records more than 3 over par and a man never more than 2 over par on any individual hole. The cards are then assessed and the club allocates a CONGU® handicap based on the amount the lowest score returned exceeds the Standard Scratch Score of the course played (after taking into account other factors it considers relevant)."

Interesting. I was aware of everything in that note but Genuinely never knew they took your best score out of three cards. My old club used to always insist one round was played off medal tees. That also doesn't look like it matters? 

Obviously the big problem I have mate  is that I'm not a member anywhere and I've not handed in 3 cards at the same course (which is part of if the requirements to get a CONGU handicap), so in effect  no matter what I'll be playing without a 'proper' handicap. 

Since it lapsed in 2014,  I've submitted around 11 cards. (5 last year and 6 this year so far) all at different courses. You clearly know your shit with this so how would you give me a handicap for this upcoming competition? Is it literally just as simple as picking out my best score from those 11?

Ps I don't have last year's scores to hand but can get them if that helps? 

You're not coming across as a smart arse. That's my job.:lol: I know the rules. It's just hard getting some folk to believe them sometimes.;) 

I think you are pretty much spot on with everything you have posted about this.:ok:

14 hours ago, aljay said:

Ha looks like I was wrong mate, mind give your club a ring this weekend and let them know you want cut to 12 :D:D:D

6 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Interesting. I was aware of everything in that note but Genuinely never knew they took your best score out of three cards. My old club used to always insist one round was played off medal tees. That also doesn't look like it matters? 

Obviously the big problem I have mate  is that I'm not a member anywhere and I've not handed in 3 cards at the same course (which is part of if the requirements to get a CONGU handicap), so in effect  no matter what I'll be playing without a 'proper' handicap. 

Since it lapsed in 2014,  I've submitted around 11 cards. (5 last year and 6 this year so far) all at different courses. You clearly know your shit with this so how would you give me a handicap for this upcoming competition? Is it literally just as simple as picking out my best score from those 11?

Ps I don't have last year's scores to hand but can get them if that helps? 

You should speak to the guy who is organising the competition and explain your situation. It's obviously not an "official" competition so they might have their own rules as you won't be the only person without an official handicap. But you have played to 5 very recently so you shouldn't be playing off any higher than that. You won't enjoy winning the competition if you play off a dodgy handicap.

You can get online handicaps, without being a member of a club, these days but I don't know if they are recognised by CONGU?

Aye thats what I've done. Basically sent him all my scores from this season so I'll see what he comes back with. 

Tbh it's not taken too seriously but its still decent prizes so would rather it was done as above board as possible.  

Cheers for yer help fella, ;)