Golfers Forum. - Page 35 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

7 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Fair one. I've no knowledge of the Faldo courses I just preferred the look of the Millennium, Old or Victoria.

Out of the ones you mention, what one would you say really stands out? We will only be playing once. 

Palmares 110%. It's a 25/30 drive for you but well worth it. A stunning course and I'd recommend playing all 27 holes if you can.

14 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Magic, cheers for that. Again, because it's only one round, we dont mind travelling either. 

Do you generally pre-book, or just sort it once you are out there? 

Either or will work. I'd be amazed if you can't get a tee time a few days ahead.

I think it was the Laguna we player last Oct when we went out for the Gib game..

It was nearly fully booked as it's their most popular time of the year.

We went along the day before and booked a late tee off for the following day. 

The late tee off was cheaper (but not cheap, especially with club hire too) and because it was so busy we ended up only playing 9 holes both times due to slow pay (having paid for 18) . Bit of a shame but still good fun and a good course with a decent terrace bar & food etc.

We could have managed another 3-4 holes of daylight but couldn't be arsed walking away in the other direction  from the clubhouse again (too hungry/thirsty) :lol:

We were actually staying right next to the Victoria golf which was due to host the Portuguese Open but that was closed in preparation and much more expensive.

Cheers Lads. 

I dont want to book as we dont want to be tied to a certain day. Tbh we are prepared to be paying £100 - £120 a head by the time we factor in club hire and a buggy so anything cheaper will be a bonus. 

Looks like there are plenty of very good courses to choose  so I'm sure we wallet something. 

On 9/4/2016 at 11:31 AM, Angus_Young said:

Fair one. I've no knowledge of the Faldo courses I just preferred the look of the Millennium, Old or Victoria.

Out of the ones you mention, what one would you say really stands out? We will only be playing once. 

If the Faldo course is the one that's cut into rock in places and basically on the side of a hill, then it's really quirky and gimmicky.  I guess it might appeal to some, but we didn't like it (and i say that after shooting 3 over on it). The O'Connor is much better.  I really liked Victoria but I'm told that San Loranzo in Val do lobo is probably one the best courses there.  Also hearing that Penina, which i mentioned earlier, is in good condition again.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

The word legend is now used far too often but I'd argue one person it was an appropriate description for was Arnold Palmer, so RIP Arnold you were a legend.

Can't believe there's not a thread appeared today. Undoubtedly the man who kickstarted modern professional golf. Privileged to have watched him play a couple of times. RIP Arnie.

Played in my first "friendly" competition on Saturday.

It was a fundraiser day to celebrate the Course Manager at Tain CG working at the course for 40 years.

Had a bit of a disaster but still enjoyed it. Front 9 was stableford and wasn't able to get out of the bunker on 2nd!!

Back 9 was a Texas Scramble, out while team started of the 10th by putting all our balls in the bushes!!?

Tain was a cracking track yesterday,sun shining and very enjoyable. 

But Royal Dornach was stunning. Great course,lovely weather again and for the first time in my life,the wind turned with us in the back 9 :)

Well worth the cost and trip away with the lads. 

53 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Tain was a cracking track yesterday,sun shining and very enjoyable. 

But Royal Dornach was stunning. Great course,lovely weather again and for the first time in my life,the wind turned with us in the back 9 :)

Well worth the cost and trip away with the lads. 

Was wondering how you got on, looked at the results and don't think you handed your card in for the Tain Open?

10 hours ago, ibelieve!!! said:

Was wondering how you got on, looked at the results and don't think you handed your card in for the Tain Open?

Nr

Strange,cards were all handed in at the same time and the 5 others are there  

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers to those who advised about courses in Portugal. We ended up getting a twilight deal on the Victoria. Worked out about €115 each, which included club hire, buggy and transport. We were between that and the Old Course but decided against it as it looked like it was lined with trees.

Macy - Palmeras couldn't accommodate us the day we wanted to play but will defenitely be going in future. Seems it is very highly thought of out there. 

Well impressed with Victoria anyway. Back 9 was a real test with the amount of water on it. Some truly stunning holes. 

On 20/10/2016 at 0:17 PM, Larky Masher said:

I had a similar feeling at Dornoch earlier this month. 

We only found out on the tee that the back tees were for 6 and below to play off which would only allow 3 of the 6 to use them. 

After a short discussion with the starter,he allowed us to use them on the agreement if we were going slow,we would move onto the yellows. 

So naturally,the 5 arseholes I was with decided that me,the highest handicap (15) should go first :lol:

I proceeded to rip one up the middle of the fairway and placed my 2nd to 4 feet from about 120 with a 9 iron,feeling like I had already proven the justification of the back tees being used,I elegantly pulled out my Scotty,marched onto the green,marked up with my spanking new Royal Dornach marker...................

And missed the putt :rollsmile:

Edited by dandydunn

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

We only found out on the tee that the back tees were for 6 and below to play off which would only allow 3 of the 6 to use them. 

After a short discussion with the starter,he allowed us to use them on the agreement if we were going slow,we would move onto the yellows. 

So naturally,the 5 arseholes I was with decided that me,the highest handicap (15) should go first :lol:

I proceeded to rip one up the middle of the fairway and placed my 2nd to 4 feet from about 120 with a 9 iron,feeling like I had already proven the justification of the back tees being used,I elegantly pulled out my Scotty,marched onto the green,marked up with my spanking new Royal Dornach marker...................

The couple of feet are always the hardest.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

A few courses seem to do that. Of all the daft rules in golf, that has to be one of the daftest. Some of the slowest golfers I know are Cat 1 handicappers. I can play 110 shots a lot quicker than they can play 70.

3 hours ago, DOUBLE A said:

Could anyone make use of a voucher for a free round at Aberfeldy ??

It needs to be used by the end of the year and I'm not going to get a chance to use it 

I think half of the course is closed at the moment. Not sure if that will be the case right through winter? But you can go round the 9 holes twice if you want.

Just completed course number 86 for this year - trying to get the 100 in. Mainly in the North east of England especially around Newcastle but done most of Northumbria and down to Withernsea near Hull. Had a wee sojourn in Lincolnshire , couple in Lancashire and two in Scotland - Cawder and Eyemouth which were both excellent.

Favourites so far - Skegness North Shore , Hornsea, Saltburn, Brancepeth Castle, Consett and District and Scarborough South.

First time I did 36 holes in a day earlier this year was totally fooked but fitness much improved with all the walking. Teeofftimes website really good for bringing the cost down along with some twilight rates. Not paid more than 21 quid yet. As long as weathe rholds out should make the 100. Haltwhistle and Penrith tomorrow on way back to Blackpool.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 3:18 PM, dandydunn said:

I was lucky enough to play in the Highland Pro-Am this year (Dornoch, Nairn and Castle Stuart).  Have to say i always thought Dornoch was way over rated but for some reason i really enjoyed it this year (helps when you're playing half decent i guess). Couple of pretty poor holes but some absolute crackers too.  Greens were very good for the end of Sept.  Castle Stuart was in poor condition which is a shame as i like it.  Nairn is always a pleasure to play.

On 22/11/2016 at 11:37 AM, SMcoolJ said:

I was lucky enough to play in the Highland Pro-Am this year (Dornoch, Nairn and Castle Stuart).  Have to say i always thought Dornoch was way over rated but for some reason i really enjoyed it this year (helps when you're playing half decent i guess). Couple of pretty poor holes but some absolute crackers too.  Greens were very good for the end of Sept.  Castle Stuart was in poor condition which is a shame as i like it.  Nairn is always a pleasure to play.

Interesting. I find Nairn incredibly overrated. I just don't get it and find it pretty mundane.