Golfers Forum. - Page 36 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

18 hours ago, macy37 said:

Interesting. I find Nairn incredibly overrated. I just don't get it and find it pretty mundane.

I like it, probably helps that the weather always seems decent.  Does have a couple of poor holes on it. It isn't as good as Moray Old or Royal Aberdeen though imo but better than Cruden Bay which must be the most over rated course in Scotland.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:08 PM, irnbruman said:

Just completed course number 86 for this year - trying to get the 100 in. Mainly in the North east of England especially around Newcastle but done most of Northumbria and down to Withernsea near Hull. Had a wee sojourn in Lincolnshire , couple in Lancashire and two in Scotland - Cawder and Eyemouth which were both excellent.

Favourites so far - Skegness North Shore , Hornsea, Saltburn, Brancepeth Castle, Consett and District and Scarborough South.

First time I did 36 holes in a day earlier this year was totally fooked but fitness much improved with all the walking. Teeofftimes website really good for bringing the cost down along with some twilight rates. Not paid more than 21 quid yet. As long as weathe rholds out should make the 100. Haltwhistle and Penrith tomorrow on way back to Blackpool.

Just completed the 100 courses in the year  yesterday. Played both courses at Slaley Hall in the last week - absolute bargain at £15 each - both extremely difficult I would say unless you are a low handicapper. Only a handful left with a 50 mile radius but left some as they are just too expensive. Been a brilliant experience and getting to see the area as well in particular the coast line from Berwick down to Skegness.

• 2 months later...

First bat of the year Sunday past down at Montrose. Lovely weather for it,tshirt was on at times. 

Havent struck a ball since Ryder cup Sunday,poor front 9,but got a few things together on the back 9 and delighted just to be out again. 

Roll on the season opener. 

Murcar texas, trump and possibly castle Stuart booked in so far for this year. 

Hopefully get a lot more play on my home course this season,break 80 a few more times and get a decent reduction on the handicap (14.5). Only got .8 off last year,so was rather disappointed with that. 

13 hours ago, dandydunn said:

First bat of the year Sunday past down at Montrose. Lovely weather for it,tshirt was on at times. 

Havent struck a ball since Ryder cup Sunday,poor front 9,but got a few things together on the back 9 and delighted just to be out again. 

Roll on the season opener. 

Murcar texas, trump and possibly castle Stuart booked in so far for this year. 

Hopefully get a lot more play on my home course this season,break 80 a few more times and get a decent reduction on the handicap (14.5). Only got .8 off last year,so was rather disappointed with that. 

Did you just put it back on when it got a wee bit chilly? 

What did you score at the 17th? That's one of my favorite holes in golf.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did you just put it back on when it got a wee bit chilly? 

What did you score at the 17th? That's one of my favorite holes in golf.

Not at all,it's when the members complained about a whiter than white man wandering about topless that it went back on :lol:

5 @ 17 as my ability to chip simply isn't there at the moment. Trying a couple of new wedges,so I'll blame them :whistling:

Just got this e-mail from my club all seems very sensible and it would be great if it worked.

Pace Of Play - Ready Golf

IN ORDER TO HELP SPEED UP THE PACE OF PLAY THE  CLUB HAS DECIDED TO INTRODUCE “READY GOLF” AS RECOMMENDED BY THE R&A

Ready golf indicates that players should play when they are ready to do so, rather than adhering strictly to the farthest from the hole plays first. This will apply in stoke play only. 
When playing “ready golf”, players have to act sensibly to ensure that playing out of turn does not endanger other players.

The following are the principles of Ready Golf

TEEING OFF
•    Hitting a tee shot if the person with the honour is delayed in being ready to play
•    Shorter hitters playing first from the tee or fairway if longer hitters have to wait

FAIRWAY PLAY
•    Hitting a shot when safe to do so if a player farther away faces a challenging shot and is taking time to assess their options
•    Hitting a shot before helping someone to look for a lost ball

APPROACHING THE GREEN
•    Hitting a shot if a person who has just played from a greenside bunker is still farthest from the hole but is delayed due to raking the bunker
•    When a player’s ball has gone over the back of a green, any player closer to the hole but chipping from the front of the green should play while the other player “is having to walk to their ball and assess their shot

ON THE GREEN
•    Marking scores upon immediate arrival at the next tee, except that the first player to tee off marks their card immediately after teeing off
•    Putting out even if it means standing close to someone else’s line
•    Unless your second putt means you are standing on someone's line of putt you should continue to hole out immediately instead of going through the routine of marking and lifting your ball just to replace it again later. 

As well as playing “Ready Golf the following points should also be adopted

•    Keep up with the group in front, if ground has been lost on the group in front, then all of the players in the group should take responsibility for making up that ground as quickly as possible. If you cannot keep the position on the course for whatever reason, then you should invite the group behind to play through, 
•    watch the flight of the ball very carefully.
•    play a provisional ball when necessary
•    Positioning bags on the side of the green nearest the next tee, 
•    Consider if it is necessary to study the line of a putt from multiple angles or mark a ball that is very close to the hole before holing out.

Aye, the R&A have been trying to push this to try to speed up play. We have been trying to get folk into it over the winter but some folk just will not take any of it on board. It only needs a few slow players to hold up the whole course and unless golf clubs are prepared to identify and take action against the culprits then I can't see much improvement.

5 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Just got this e-mail from my club all seems very sensible and it would be great if it worked.

Pace Of Play - Ready Golf

IN ORDER TO HELP SPEED UP THE PACE OF PLAY THE  CLUB HAS DECIDED TO INTRODUCE “READY GOLF” AS RECOMMENDED BY THE R&A

Ready golf indicates that players should play when they are ready to do so, rather than adhering strictly to the farthest from the hole plays first. This will apply in stoke play only. 
When playing “ready golf”, players have to act sensibly to ensure that playing out of turn does not endanger other players.

The following are the principles of Ready Golf

TEEING OFF
•    Hitting a tee shot if the person with the honour is delayed in being ready to play
•    Shorter hitters playing first from the tee or fairway if longer hitters have to wait

FAIRWAY PLAY
•    Hitting a shot when safe to do so if a player farther away faces a challenging shot and is taking time to assess their options
•    Hitting a shot before helping someone to look for a lost ball

APPROACHING THE GREEN
•    Hitting a shot if a person who has just played from a greenside bunker is still farthest from the hole but is delayed due to raking the bunker
•    When a player’s ball has gone over the back of a green, any player closer to the hole but chipping from the front of the green should play while the other player “is having to walk to their ball and assess their shot

ON THE GREEN
•    Marking scores upon immediate arrival at the next tee, except that the first player to tee off marks their card immediately after teeing off
•    Putting out even if it means standing close to someone else’s line
•    Unless your second putt means you are standing on someone's line of putt you should continue to hole out immediately instead of going through the routine of marking and lifting your ball just to replace it again later. 

As well as playing “Ready Golf the following points should also be adopted

•    Keep up with the group in front, if ground has been lost on the group in front, then all of the players in the group should take responsibility for making up that ground as quickly as possible. If you cannot keep the position on the course for whatever reason, then you should invite the group behind to play through, 
•    watch the flight of the ball very carefully.
•    play a provisional ball when necessary
•    Positioning bags on the side of the green nearest the next tee, 
•    Consider if it is necessary to study the line of a putt from multiple angles or mark a ball that is very close to the hole before holing out.

Sounds very sensible and allows more flexibility without having to adhere to (sometimes) silly rules which do inevitably slow up play.

Came up from Newcastle at the weekend for the Penicuick Rob Roy junior cup tie. Thought Id take in a few courses in the borders each way. Played Hawick , Cardrona on the way up - enjoyed both - Cardrona an excellent course but I found it quite tough - especially the back nine but might have been I was tiring. On way back played Minto then off to Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland.

That's me played 112 courses so far from March 2016 till now  -finish counting at end of month. But Bamburgh Castle has just gone to the top of the list. £20 after 1 p,m - course is just fantastic with astounding views.

I can't remember the last time I played a round of golf when "the honour" was obeyed on the tee. 

If someone is ready,they bat up and go. It's really simple to follow in strokeplay. 

Also,the amount of people that refuse to hit a provisional ball can be really frustrating,stating "I'll find that" when the playing partners know there's very little chance of it. There's no harm done hitting another rather than walking back 200 yards to the tee again. 

Edited by dandydunn

11 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Came up from Newcastle at the weekend for the Penicuick Rob Roy junior cup tie. Thought Id take in a few courses in the borders each way. Played Hawick , Cardrona on the way up - enjoyed both - Cardrona an excellent course but I found it quite tough - especially the back nine but might have been I was tiring. On way back played Minto then off to Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland.

That's me played 112 courses so far from March 2016 till now  -finish counting at end of month. But Bamburgh Castle has just gone to the top of the list. £20 after 1 p,m - course is just fantastic with astounding views.

That's pretty good going. Is that 112 different courses? Do you never play the same course twice? Or, do they just never let you go back?;) That's what can happen if you noise up the locals.:lol:

11 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I can't remember the last time I played a round of golf when "the honour" was obeyed on the tee. 

If someone is ready,they bat up and go. It's really simple to follow in strokeplay. 

Also,the amount of people that refuse to hit a provisional ball can be really frustrating,stating "I'll find that" when the playing partners know there's very little chance of it. There's no harm done hitting another rather than walking back 200 yards to the tee again. 

The not hitting a provisional really rips ma knitting especially with members who hit into what they know is knee high rough but insist they have a line on it.

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That's pretty good going. Is that 112 different courses? Do you never play the same course twice? Or, do they just never let you go back?;) That's what can happen if you noise up the locals.:lol:

Up to 114 after today - Castle Eden and Hartlepool.(excellent course) . Yeah all different courses - 12 months finishes on Tuesday - mainly in the North East of England  -but been down to Lincolnshire and all up the coast to Eyemouth. I work nights so got the days free and only temporarily in the Newcastle area - started off with teeofftimes website , then used twilight times and winter rates now for the more expensive courses.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:38 AM, Larky Masher said:

The not hitting a provisional really rips ma knitting especially with members who hit into what they know is knee high rough but insist they have a line on it.

My knitting too.  Not hitting a provisional makes no sense at all.  If you hit one, and you're original is lost, you're still in the game without the embarrassing, and very annoying for others, scamper back to the tee (to hit one while knackered and facing the music of the group behind).  If you do find you're original, you've had a free "practice" shot.  Also, a provisional will often give you a yardage and rough idea of where to look for the original.  I don't get why you wouldn't.  I can only assume those that don't hit a provisional see it as some sort of admission of a poor shot or fear that somehow it increases the chance of your original being lost?!

34 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

My knitting too.  Not hitting a provisional makes no sense at all.  If you hit one, and you're original is lost, you're still in the game without the embarrassing, and very annoying for others, scamper back to the tee (to hit one while knackered and facing the music of the group behind).  If you do find you're original, you've had a free "practice" shot.  Also, a provisional will often give you a yardage and rough idea of where to look for the original.  I don't get why you wouldn't.  I can only assume those that don't hit a provisional see it as some sort of admission of a poor shot or fear that somehow it increases the chance of your original being lost?!

I sometimes get slagged off for hitting too many provisionals. If there is the slightest doubt about finding a ball I'll hit a provisional, it's just daft not to. I often get folk saying "you'll find that nae bother" and they are often right but not always. it takes about 20 seconds to hit a provisional. A walk back to the tee is a lot longer than that.

I see the R&A and USGA are proposing some major rule changes to take effect in 2019. It's the biggest review of the rules since 1984. That's going to confuse a lot of auld codgers at golf clubs everywhere.  Some of them struggle to cope with one change at a time, never mind a couple of dozen. 

I wish I got a fiver for everytime I've had to explain the new rule on accidentally moving your ball. It's really simple but loads folk just can't seem to take it in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for 10 holes this morning at the links. Middle part of the course is flooded. 

1-5 was a disaster,out in 30 and I lost 1 ball with a return of 7,8,4,5,6.

Turned round to play 14-18 and went 4,4,4,4,3. 

Hate this game :lol:

My participation may be seriously affected this year and coming years now as the youngest is away to start football training for juveniles next week,which means training on a Wednesday,school football Saturday mornings and club football Sunday mornings. No idea when I'll get games in now :(

Trump next Sunday though. 

Played trump today,absolutely stunning condition. 

Not a breath of wind,sun shining,perfect conditions. 

Shot 94 with 32 stableford which was enough to half the sweeper. 

Start of back 9 killed me by going 6,7,8 :(

5 shots taken off from my last visit though,so it's a start :lol:

B88DB0F5-76F5-42ED-99A1-B32D06FF7300_zps4EA625F0-AFB5-4BA1-886C-B20852581713_zpsF6F7725C-EB74-4633-AF58-BDC6AB4BCDFF_zps0A7F9647-0DB0-4255-8093-6F63C4C1344A_zps

Edited by dandydunn

Been taking lessons since September, looking forward to this season with optimism. I've been a 16-18 handicapper since I chucked playing football about 7 years ago, but feel I should be getting down to 10-12. 

Lessons have helped and was planning to get some new clubs.  Popped into the golf show at the SEC on Saturday and have been seduced by the Cobra One Length irons. Anyone tried these and any thoughts?  Reviews seem good and I thought they felt great. 

13 hours ago, aljay said:

Been taking lessons since September, looking forward to this season with optimism. I've been a 16-18 handicapper since I chucked playing football about 7 years ago, but feel I should be getting down to 10-12. 

Lessons have helped and was planning to get some new clubs.  Popped into the golf show at the SEC on Saturday and have been seduced by the Cobra One Length irons. Anyone tried these and any thoughts?  Reviews seem good and I thought they felt great. 

Seem to work for thon Bryson De Chambeau (spelling?) lad.  However, he appears to be trying to re-invent golf with same length irons and side saddle putting.  There's a risk they are a bit of a gimmick.  The new Callaway Apex irons seem to be getting fantastic reviews.  Also, the new Srixon irons seems to be getting quite a lot of attention.  

I've just bought new Titleist irons, combo set (2-4 TMB, 5-9 CB and 3 Vokey Wedges). Like them a lot.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2017 at 10:42 AM, SMcoolJ said:

Seem to work for thon Bryson De Chambeau (spelling?) lad.  However, he appears to be trying to re-invent golf with same length irons and side saddle putting.  There's a risk they are a bit of a gimmick.  The new Callaway Apex irons seem to be getting fantastic reviews.  Also, the new Srixon irons seems to be getting quite a lot of attention.  

I've just bought new Titleist irons, combo set (2-4 TMB, 5-9 CB and 3 Vokey Wedges). Like them a lot.

Bought the single-length Cobras.  Early days yet with only 4 rounds under my belt.  However, all rounds have been under handicap and I'm loving them.  

Also, the dry weather has the courses in Central Scotland in brilliant condition for this time of year.  Firm fairways and fast greens = happy days.