Jimmy Shand - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Its about time we had our own Scottish order of merit/distinction.

One that isn't bestowed by Her Majesty (or rather Westminster cronies) but recognises outstanding achievements by Scots throughout history (so dead as well as those currently alive).

Jimmy Shand would 100% qualify as would Wallace and Bruce of course. ..and many more....nominate away !!

Remember about 25 years ago when Grampian dished up Jimmy Shand and 100 accordians as their NYE show. There was Jimmy rattling his way through the tunes with about 10 just about keeping up and the other 90 were at various stages from jist behind ye Jimmy to..............

Makes me think of my old Dad, who always listened to Take the Floor, loved Jimmy Shand's music and knew him a bit (we lived in a village a couple of miles from Auchtermuchty). Shand's Bluebell Polka was played at my Dad's funeral.

Aye always after the Tattie Holidays.. Learning the dances prior to the Christmas party.. As has been said wished i could remember more of the dances .. i remember one which involved burlin the lassie and trying to get her into low earth orbit.. :shocked:

Great days :cheers3:

• 11 months later...

Have listened to Robbie Shepherd all my life it seems...definitely part of football trips on a Saturday...will have to tune in again this evening....will miss his bizarre knowledge of every single tune ..."this one was written in 1869 for his wife's cousin's pet dog" etc ..unique stuff Robbie ...many thanks :)