40 Years Old And I Have A Fear...... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

40 Years Old And I Have A Fear......

macy37

I can't take much more of this. I moved abroad and it takes allot of effort to follow Scotland live every match, I am so gutted. My kids are 6, this is up there with Georgia 2008, Georgia 15, Belgium 01, Holland 03 but then you pick yourself up thinking hey we have a chance. Its going to be 5 years until we make a major tournament, this is bad. Three years ago I thought this EURO 16 is our best hope and I had some hope, but I have no left to spend.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 26, France 98 is the first I really remember with bkurry bits of 96. Always imagined growing up and going to the finals, we have one chance for me to make it before I'm 30. Gona start putting money away more seriously each month in the hope that it happens. We shall see

Was in two minds whether to reply to this. I'm English, we've qualified, and there's a danger of looking patronising, but even so I must...

I was gutted for Scotland tonight.

Gutted.

I've used this board for a long time now (2003 btw), discussed many things. Got all political and shit, tapped feet in unison to music, discussed film, boobs, you name it.

I can't think of a more deserving support than the TA of tournament.

I'm half Irish. My mum is born and bred Dublin. Yet, because of my connection to this board, I found myself (perhaps inexplicably) willing a couple of German goals at the end tonight.

I sold my mum out for you. And I don't regret it.

You'll get your tournament.

Heard Flower of Scotland BOOMING out in the match, and the roars when tackles were made, the cheers of relief when your goalie grabbed a cross. Pure energy of the crowd. Unique in its delivery.

Eventually it'll come good.

Don't give up.

Scotland are one of the originals in terms of football, and they'll be there at the death.

You just know it'd be Scotland to do us over at Wembley in the next qualifying....

Alba gu bràth.

Chin up.

I also have the same fear!

Was young but just old enough to have went to Euro 96 & France 98 but having just left school, being without a lot of funds and a lack of interested from friends, I decided to watch from home thinking there would be another option every 2-4 years, regret that so much now.

I'm 45 but never had the money at the start of the 90s and inexplicably didn't go to France 98 for whatever reason, it was so irrelevant I can't even remember now.

This was the finals I wanted. It's close by, wouldn't have to be away from wife and family for a couple of weeks, was prepared to do 3 in and outs for groups if need be. All through the tournament we got the results in our games we needed. Beat Ireland at home, didn't get beat in Poland, didn't get beat across n Dublin, got the crucial H2H advantage over them. Got down to 3 results needed. Us beating Poland, Germany beating Poland and us beating Georgia. And then Georgia happened. I can't remember being more gutted at a result as it fvcked it completely, losing that game. Don't mind admitting that I spat my dummy big time after Georgia game and gave away my Germany ticket on the back of a very bad mooded weekend.

End result is we are not going to the tournament I really wanted to go and watch Scotland in. And going forward the WCs are harder due to less spaces and I actually wouldn't go to Russia or Qatar. And then there is the Euro 2020 hosting shambles. I've come to the conclusion that Euro 2016 was probably my last chance to go travel and watch us in a major tournament final. And it's gone. It also makes me question why should I spend money going to qualifiers here there and everywhere if I'm no going to go to the finals even if we qualify. It's a gutting time IMO.

I actually think if we continue on like this (under Strachan) we'll get there eventually.

They say that for a airliner to fall out of the sky generally requires seven factors. Each on its own is pretty irrelevant, but add them up and you have a disaster. This is what happened to us. But unlike a doomed airliner, many of our factors were out of our hands, some were well within our hands.

First and foremost we should ha beaten Georgia. Simple, our fault.

Second, we had to win away from home. Georgia was the obvious one, but really, taking two points from Poland and Ireland was acceptable. We would have taken that in a heartbeat before the group started. Again though, this was in our hands.

Third was Germany dropping points to Poland and Ireland. Not at my laptop, but IIRC they dropped seven of their 12 points to these two teams. Fair play to Poland and Ireland they took their chances, but they're no better than us. This was more to do with German failings than Scottish ones.

Lastly, last second goals. I'm posting from memory here, but there's the obvious one against us, and Ireland I think took 5 or 7 points from late goals. Almost all of these being missed would have kept us in he tournament.

So there were many factors that knocked us out, but many of them were out with our control. A little bit of luck here or there and we'd have been right in this. The future feels sh!t, but actually it's not too bad based on the group we've just played in.

I did make that last match against Morocco in France 98, although we ended up getting pumped 3-0 it was a great experience and a very long drive. The night before probably the best outdoor party I've been to with Romania beating a certain team. I honestly didn't think then, that it would have been another 20 odd years before we qualified for a major tournament again.

As luck would have it, I actually found my key ring the other day from France 98, that we were awarded for being 'voted the friendliest fans' I suppose that will become a collector's item in due course! No offers please...........

We're both in our early 40s, France '98 was to be our first tournament then I fell pregnant - oops! Like others though we thought ach, we'll get the next one - oops again. The mood last night felt similar to the Italy game to qualify for Euros 2008. Although I didnae greet this time :s

I was still at school during our glory days of getting to everything, but I couldn't wait until I was old enough to get to a World Cup or Euros.

Italia 90 was the first World Cup I can remember clearly & the buzz of it at the time was amazing.

As soon as I started working, I was going to the games & it never even crossed my mind that I might not see a finals. Reality has hit home in the last few years though & we really do have problems if we couldn't make France.

It's going to be a nightmare watching this with all the other "home" nations lording it up. Fair play though, I just wish it was us!

Edited by Kenneth Farrington

I went to Euro 96 and France 98 but now regret not going to Italy 90 and Sweden 92. I haven't missed an away game since Faroes 07 and only miss occasional home games (due to living in London ) but last night walking back from Hampden I seriously considered packing it in. Can't take any more heartbreak. Then I realised I couldn't even if I wanted.

Was in two minds whether to reply to this. I'm English, we've qualified, and there's a danger of looking patronising, but even so I must...

Gutted.

I've used this board for a long time now (2003 btw), discussed many things. Got all political and shit, tapped feet in unison to music, discussed film, boobs, you name it.

I'm half Irish. My mum is born and bred Dublin. Yet, because of my connection to this board, I found myself (perhaps inexplicably) willing a couple of German goals at the end tonight.

Heard Flower of Scotland BOOMING out in the match, and the roars when tackles were made, the cheers of relief when your goalie grabbed a cross. Pure energy of the crowd. Unique in its delivery.

Don't give up.

Scotland are one of the originals in terms of football, and they'll be there at the death.

You just know it'd be Scotland to do us over at Wembley in the next qualifying....

Alba gu bràth.

Chin up.

Awwww you just made me cry! :(

I passed on Sweden 92 :blink: but made sure I was at Euro 96 and for France 98, I left my 7 months pregnant wife in our new home that we moved into 2 days prior to go to the tournament. My laddie is now 17, has been at member since he was 5 and is now more cynical than me. If we were going to qualify, it was this campaign.

I think, looking at the squad, we will have to wait another 8 years or so for a new team to mature, have the same feeling looking at who is coming through as I did after Craig Brown left.

We will NEVER be any good

NEVER

Thats the realisation i have today

It will take lots of investment and new direction to repair decades of mismanagement and squandering of finances to fix our game.

It needs new ideas and radical thinking

It needs years of committment and a change in the Scottish mentality and alcohol culture

It is NEVER going to happen - certainly not in my lifetime

We are destined to be a third rate footballing backwater that believes it's still a big footballing nation and it will charge you accordingly

Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded. I know this because i have been deluded myself for the last 30 years

Gutted.

Don't give up.

Alba gu bràth.

Chin up.

Sadly the TA cant win games! We can support, cheers and play our part but we cant control the balls our players cant or play the pass that we can see that they dont or score when the players miss! As said in trainspotting its sh!te!!