40 Years Old And I Have A Fear...... - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

40 Years Old And I Have A Fear......

macy37

Soon to be 46 and really losing my footballing mojo. Had a great 1990 - 98 with the tournaments and various away games after but do recall our group after Morocco in '98 thinking is this it? When will we travel again with Japan and Brazil etc but now its when will we qualify again. 18 years on and perhaps in N Ireland territory of 30 years. Which brings me on look how limited their playing pool is and Wales, only one top player. Why cant we do it??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am starting to get The Fear. If we were ever going to qualify for a tournament, this was it.

I was 13 during France 98 and dreamed of going to a tournament with my mates. Euro 2004 was to be the "first" as we would have been 19/20 during it. Now 31 and still waiting.

It's an all too familiar thread on this board of assessing how it went wrong and how to remedy it for the next campaign. But this one feels particularly harrowing. How many players from our current squad have another campaign in them? Maloney (32) D Fletcher (31) Whittaker (31) Hutton (30) Brown (30)

Do we just have to accept we are not a football nation any more?

I too am starting to get The Fear. If we were ever going to qualify for a tournament, this was it.

I was 13 during France 98 and dreamed of going to a tournament with my mates. Euro 2004 was to be the "first" as we would have been 19/20 during it. Now 31 and still waiting.

It's an all too familiar thread on this board of assessing how it went wrong and how to remedy it for the next campaign. But this one feels particularly harrowing. How many players from our current squad have another campaign in them? Maloney (32) D Fletcher (31) Whittaker (31) Hutton (30) Brown (30)

Do we just have to accept we are not a football nation any more?

Those guys will be phased out before the next campaign.

It's a bit of a depressing low just now. We've probably had worse teams since '98 but I don't think we've ever felt so far off qualifying. Even the Vogts team got a play-off. We've fallen some way since then in terms of seedings and the groups that we're getting drawn in - this has been a combination of poor results/campaigns and a bit of bad luck as well.

My first memory of a tourney was Italia '90. I was 13 during Euro '96 and 15 for France '98 so never made it to either.

Straight after France '98, I joined the STC, at the age of 15 I still needed a letter of consent from my maw! :-))

Anyway.... first away game was Czech Republic in Prague where we lost 3-2 and barely missed a game for years after that.

The wait for seeing Scotland at a tournament finals goes on. :( My hope and optimism that I had (even through the disappointments of the 2000's) has pretty much gone. It'll be a long way back!

I'm sure we'll get to a 24 team Euros eventually, a kinder draw needed though...

You may well be right but with the way they've now decided to host the euro finals from now on its going to be shit even if we do qualify. First group game in Moscow, second in Madrid, third in Istanbul or some such similar bollocks.

UEFA really know how to the fans in favour of the almighty $$$$.

With world cups getting harder and harder to qualify for with less European spaces than ever and the rotten euro hosting nonsense I fear we'll never see Scotland in a single-location major finals again.

Soon to be 46 and really losing my footballing mojo. Had a great 1990 - 98 with the tournaments and various away games after but do recall our group after Morocco in '98 thinking is this it? When will we travel again with Japan and Brazil etc but now its when will we qualify again. 18 years on and perhaps in N Ireland territory of 30 years. Which brings me on look how limited their playing pool is and Wales, only one top player. Why cant we do it??

Do you think we have to hit rock bottom before we can stand back up? Sadly the focus in Scottish football aint on the National Team, and I mean that in is polite a way as possible. Until we focus on grassroots investment in facilities with a National sport strategy (see Iceland) we can forget it. The good times have gone, and theres no appitite in the upper echelons on the game to change it.

J

I'm 45 but never had the money at the start of the 90s and inexplicably didn't go to France 98 for whatever reason, it was so irrelevant I can't even remember now.

This was the finals I wanted. It's close by, wouldn't have to be away from wife and family for a couple of weeks, was prepared to do 3 in and outs for groups if need be. All through the tournament we got the results in our games we needed. Beat Ireland at home, didn't get beat in Poland, didn't get beat across n Dublin, got the crucial H2H advantage over them. Got down to 3 results needed. Us beating Poland, Germany beating Poland and us beating Georgia. And then Georgia happened. I can't remember being more gutted at a result as it fvcked it completely, losing that game. Don't mind admitting that I spat my dummy big time after Georgia game and gave away my Germany ticket on the back of a very bad mooded weekend.

End result is we are not going to the tournament I really wanted to go and watch Scotland in. And going forward the WCs are harder due to less spaces and I actually wouldn't go to Russia or Qatar. And then there is the Euro 2020 hosting shambles. I've come to the conclusion that Euro 2016 was probably my last chance to go travel and watch us in a major tournament final. And it's gone. It also makes me question why should I spend money going to qualifiers here there and everywhere if I'm no going to go to the finals even if we qualify. It's a gutting time IMO.

I'm away to take a bath with the toaster.

You may well be right but with the way they've now decided to host the euro finals from now on its going to be shit even if we do qualify. First group game in Moscow, second in Madrid, third in Istanbul or some such similar bollocks.

UEFA really know how to the fans in favour of the almighty $$$$.

With world cups getting harder and harder to qualify for with less European spaces than ever and the rotten euro hosting nonsense I fear we'll never see Scotland in a single-location major finals again.

It's only that setup for the 2020 Euro's. For 2024 it's back to one country (or 2) hosting. Seems a long way off mind you!

We need to buck the trend and target first place in the next campaign, otherwise we may be in for a long wait. England are not invincible, far from it. No point in complaining about a loser mentality and then writing off first place months before a ball is kicked.

We need to buck the trend and target first place in the next campaign, otherwise we may be in for a long wait. England are not invincible, far from it. No point in complaining about a loser mentality and then writing off first place months before a ball is kicked.

Need England to have a qualification campaign like Germany this time but for us to be the recipients of their poor performances in the same way Ireland were. Problem is the games will be so hyped you know they will be well up for it.

Do you think we have to hit rock bottom before we can stand back up? Sadly the focus in Scottish football aint on the National Team, and I mean that in is polite a way as possible. Until we focus on grassroots investment in facilities with a National sport strategy (see Iceland) we can forget it. The good times have gone, and theres no appitite in the upper echelons on the game to change it.

J

Dont know what rock bottom looks like! I should have added that I remember Iran '78 & was at Costa Rica in '90 which was a real low. Swiftly followed by the high of hammering Sweden! Then the Brazil boot in the baws! Are we addicts?

In modern times Berti, Burley & Levein were all lows. At least Berti got a play off. Burley, my low was Norway away. But my mojo went after the Czech Republic game.

Are we at rock bottom? I dont know. Thought we did ok last night but was lost before that relying on others. If we really are of limited playing ability at the very least we can press, be organised and play at a far greater tempo than we do! Be hard to beat! At the moment most pool 1-3 teams would fancy 4-6 points from us. And until that changes we aint going anywhere soon!

35, I think Scotland can still qualify for Euro 2020 or 2024 with it being 24 teams. Don't think I will see Scotland at a World Cup. Agree with the earlier comment that it's a pity no host country has 2020 to themselves.

Dont know what rock bottom looks like! I should have added that I remember Iran '78 & was at Costa Rica in '90 which was a real low. Swiftly followed by the high of hammering Sweden! Then the Brazil boot in the baws! Are we addicts?

In modern times Berti, Burley & Levein were all lows. At least Berti got a play off. Burley, my low was Norway away. But my mojo went after the Czech Republic game.

Are we at rock bottom? I dont know. Thought we did ok last night but was lost before that relying on others. If we really are of limited playing ability at the very least we can press, be organised and play at a far greater tempo than we do! Be hard to beat! At the moment most pool 1-3 teams would fancy 4-6 points from us. And until that changes we aint going anywhere soon!

Yet in this group the pot 1-3 teams got:

Germany 6pts

Poland 2pts

Ireland 1pt

Yet in this group the pot 1-3 teams got:

Germany 6pts

Poland 2pts

Ireland 1pt

TBH it's more what our rivals got off of the Pot one team that killed us.

Poland - 3

Ireland - 4

Us - 0

We needed a qualifier beast like England with a perfect record. We got a stuttering Germany.

Add into points against the teams below us (Georgia & Gibraltar (& I'm assuming we win on Sunday).

Poland - 15

Ireland - 16

Us - 9

There's your problem. Head t head we are as good or better. Throw in the rest of the group, and we ####ed it.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

35, I think Scotland can still qualify for Euro 2020 or 2024 with it being 24 teams. Don't think I will see Scotland at a World Cup. Agree with the earlier comment that it's a pity no host country has 2020 to themselves.

Could the Euro 2020 situation not change after Platini has been caught taking bribes or whatever he's been upto?

41 years old now and I felt that France next year would be the last chance of having the opportunity to attend a major tournament. That chance has now gone, sadly. I'll still do trips in the qualifiers but even if we made it to Russia its a nightmare of a place to get to and would probably wouldn't be able to afford to go. Then you have this utter baloney of cities hosting Euro 2020 (was this one of Platini's deranged brainchilds?) and you have an outpost in Qatar hosing WC 2022, although given what is happening with Blatter and Co you have to wonder if there will be re-run for the bidding rights for that tournament. Even then, they'll probably award it to some one like bloody Australia!