Does Anyone Actually Realise ? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does Anyone Actually Realise ?

Ally Bongo

What a complete laughing stock we now are ?

Sitting at home next summer when potentially England, Wales, N Ireland & Ireland have all qualified and we havent ?

When the dejection of tonight has worn off can you imagine what thats going to be like as the tournament draws near ?

It's unthinkable of what it's going to be like

Are there enough people within those that run our game, including all the professional clubs, to say enough is enough and have an emergency summit to take drastic action ?

I think we all know the answer to that but they need to convince us that they too find this completely unacceptable and come up with a plan

Getting rid of Regan and Broadfoot would be a good start

Its no good blindly saying after another failure that there has been progress

The Scottish Government have to get involved as well

We have to decide that if football is going to be our National game then it has to be something that can inspire us and give the country pride because for the whole of my lifetime it hasnt been in the main.

Everything about Scottish football at the moment is third rate (including Hampden) and we are paying top dollar for the pleasure

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a complete laughing stock we now are ?

Sitting at home next summer when potentially England, Wales, N Ireland & Ireland have all qualified and we havent ?

When the dejection of tonight has worn off can you imagine what thats going to be like as the tournament draws near ?

It's unthinkable of what it's going to be like

Are there enough people within those that run our game, including all the professional clubs, to say enough is enough and have an emergency summit to take drastic action ?

I think we all know the answer to that but they need to convince us that they too find this completely unacceptable and come up with a plan

Getting rid of Regan and Broadfoot would be a good start

Its no good blindly saying after another failure that there has been progress

The Scottish Government have to get involved as well

We have to decide that if football is going to be our National game then it has to be something that can inspire us and give the country pride because for the whole of my lifetime it hasnt been in the main.

Everything about Scottish football at the moment is third rate (including Hampden) and we are paying top dollar for the pleasure

Em......

We were drawn in a group with three decent sides and we finished fourth.

That's kind of the end of the story. No need for an over-reaction.

Yes i thoght about the consequences ages ago. We will be the laughtng stock. This is all we need after last years referendum humiliaion. Scotland the Worlds greatest losers.

Em......

We were drawn in a group with three decent sides and we finished fourth.

That's kind of the end of the story. No need for an over-reaction.

And that is why we will never ever achieve anything

Too many fans willing to accept not even second but third best

Very depressing

When we get drawn in a group as shit as the rest of the home nations have been, then I'll overreact thanks.

So thats it ? Rely on getting a shit group so we can maybe qualify ?

How depressing

There are now at least 24 teams in europe-not the world-in europe better than us. That is something for the powers that be to think about.

I have been following the team for 30 odd years and will hopefully follow them for another 30 odd and my son will follow suit as well. We probably just need to be more realistic where we sit in terms of other teams.

Most things go round in circles in sports and i an sure we will be up with the best at some point in future, but now it is very painful. The last goal tonight reminded me of the game v belgium where we lost a last minute goal. You just knew it was going to happen. Yes we need to reflect, but lets not givevup hope altogether. We will be back.

We are a set up as a team of shitebags.

We try to play such a contained and structured game and have inferiority complex due to our technical gap in ability.

That doesn't matter to Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland. Those teams just go ahead and roll over oppositions and grind out results.

We play far too contained a game and have no ambition to go and take any game by the scruff of the neck and win it. Even the wins we've had (Ireland & Georgia) have been narrow margins and even Gibraltar wasn't convincing.

Do we laugh at Hungary, Finland, Greece, Serbia, (well, maybe them the now) plus possibly Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Turkey, Bosnia-Herz, Israel?

Although it will certainly hit home a hundread times more than usual years when we see Northern Ireland, Wales, and possibly Ireland all there. In the past, the apologists could write off our under-acheiving as us being a 'small' nation, and so on.

Most things go round in circles in sports

Ours is currently spinning at 18 years

Longer if you count just qualifying and making up the numbers to get papped out in the first round

I would argue Wales and Northern Ireland group had a harder group than us.

Whilst they didn't have the World Champions or any major players. Many of those sides are decent. The Faroes and Cyprus, the best of the minnows too, unlike our newbies Gibraltar.

Would we be able to win or grind out a consistent set of results to be able to qualify in Greece, Hungary, Finland, Israel, Belgium, Bosnia,Cyprus, Romania, the Faroes even? I don't think we would.

Do we laugh at Hungary, Finland, Greece, Serbia, (well, maybe them the now) plus possibly Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Turkey, Bosnia-Herz, Israel?

I wonder if these countries compare themselves to other similar sized nations to excuse their failures

Whether we can ever be the best in the World is impossible or not it's what we should be striving for - not trying to match someone else thats less shittier than ourselves

FIFA/UEFA have very strict rules about governments getting involved in football. It can be done, but only up to a certain extent.

Im talking about working with the SFA and getting involved in grass roots and infrastructure

Whether the Scottish Government can hold the failure of the SFA to account is something else but we need someone too

It would be great if they held themselves to account

Lets be honest.

NI, Wales, Iceland, Poland, Ireland or Ireland (if they qualify) will be the teams that everyone will want to have in the group. All of those teams most probably will finish at the group stage asking for new managers and "fresh blood" and all that crap you will have to go through now.

Hopefully I`m wrong, especially when it comes to my team but reality is harsh.

Edited by fanatyk

Lets be honest.

NI, Wales, Iceland, Poland, Ireland or Ireland (if they qualify) will be the teams that everyone will want to have in the group. All of those teams most probably will finish at the group stage asking for new managers and "fresh blood" and all that crap you will have to go through now.

With all due respect...when its been this long, we don't give a monkeys arse about that.

But its also worth remembering that in most of the groups 3 teams will qualify at this years tournament and not just 2.

Apart from the misery approaching next summer when we will have to everything we can to ignore all the media and flags on cars etc etc...is there anything we can learn from the smaller nations who are now streets ahead of us ?

Our near neighbours Iceland are probably the biggest success of all. They have a population less than maybe Aberdeen or Dundee and yet TOP their group which included Holland.

They used to be a lowly team so what steps did they take to launch up to being a group winner ?

FIFA/UEFA have very strict rules about governments getting involved in football. It can be done, but only up to a certain extent.

This is true, and has always been the reason that governments have stayed ootae it.

However, there has never been a better opportunity right now to wrest some control from the SFA and their corrupt blazerati allies in Nyon and Zurich.

Here's what 5 things we need to do, of the top of my head, if we're to ever develop players good enough...

-Install proper winter facilities for kids to play competitive football throughout the year.

-Find a way for the old firm to join the English Premiership.

-Find a way to bypass EU laws that make it almost impossible for schools and youth organisations to have football games without the parents having to assist in transportation.

-Invest in coaching. Pay youth coaches a living wage so that it becomes a viable career path for those talented enough to make a difference.

-Teach kids of 15,16 and 17 that to be a top professional footballer they have to make sacrifices and behave like top professional athletes in other sports.

Edited by COLT NY

Lets be honest.

I think that'll be only true of ROI. The problem with them is that their brand of football is murder, so if they lose they have a double embarrassment.

Poland I think will do fine at the Euros. With 24 teams there, the quality won't be like it used to be, and Lewandowski makes all the difference in the world.

The others will just be delighted to be at the party for once. Their managers are legends already regardless of how it goes in France.