Video Replays - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Video Replays

malky24

Please discuss. The rugby World Cup is on and the referee has the option of speaking to a 4th official to check if an offence has been committed,using video replay. If the team Captain could challenge the referee's decision up to three times during a match, the outcome of games would be much fairer. I thought the 1st Polish goal was offside last night and Walters goal in Dublin was definetly offside. If these decisions had been challenged, Scotland would be 4 points better off, Poland 2 points worse off, and Ireland would be 2 points worse off.

As a football fan I don't want it. And that's despite being done over by decisions against Italy, Wales, Ireland, Czech Republic, Moldova/Macedonia and Poland.

I can't remember the last time a clearly poor decision was given in our favour. Certainly none that made a jot of difference to the result.

But then you make your own luck. If we'd beaten Georgia and not thrown away 4 points from leading positions against Poland, we would have qualified - regardless of the points Germany had gifted Poland and Ireland.

As a football fan I don't want it. And that's despite being done over by decisions against Italy, Wales, Ireland, Czech Republic, Moldova/Macedonia and Poland.

I can't remember the last time a clearly poor decision was given in our favour. Certainly none that made a jot of difference to the result.

But then you make your own luck. If we'd beaten Georgia and not thrown away 4 points from leading positions against Poland, we would have qualified - regardless of the points Germany had gifted Poland and Ireland.

But surely when the stakes are so high, it shouldn't come down to luck. I had a feeling that decisions had been going against us, but not that many.

Had to laugh at the ref last night - he gave Poland a nothing free-kick in midfield (Polish player dropped to his knees and felt sorry for himself) then Poland messed it up and Fletcher scored. The ref was annoyed at us messing up his script so a few minutes later he dishes out an immediate yellow card to one of our players (Brown?) for a challenge on the sideline that was a foul and nothing more. Never a yellow card.

He certainly got his revenge with the injury time and what looked another soft free kick from where I was standing. You just KNEW they were going to score from it. I did. I also believe if they didn't get that free kick the game would have finished 2-1, they pressured us but it looked like they'd done all they can.

Edited by stactuso85

But surely when the stakes are so high, it shouldn't come down to luck. I had a feeling that decisions had been going against us, but not that many.

Ireland suffered the mother of all bad decisions wigh henrys handball and have since dusted themselves off and qualified for stuff, you make your own luck

Had to laugh at the ref last night - he gave Poland a nothing free-kick in midfield (Polish player dropped to his knees and felt sorry for himself) then Poland messed it up and Fletcher scored. The ref was annoyed at us messing up his script so a few minutes later he dishes out an immediate yellow card to one of our players (Brown?) for a challenge on the sideline that was a foul and nothing more. Never a yellow card.

He certainly got his revenge with the injury time and what looked another soft free kick from where I was standing. You just KNEW they were going to score from it. I did. I also believe if they didn't get that free kick the game would have finished 2-1, they pressured us but it looked like they'd done all they can.

can i borrow your tin hat sometime?

What a load of drivel. The clearest cautionable offence not given last night was when Steven Fletcher sprinted half the length of the pitch and rugby tackled the winger.

Goals are occasionally ruled out when onside and given when offside. That is football.

I'm yet to see a sensible proposal for how to add TV replays into football which doesn't ruin the game.

Wasn't talking about TV replays or Fletcher's 'rugby tackle', just venting about the ref. He was petty and at times one-sided. Like a yellow.

It's funny how scared some people are at the though that some officials may actually be corrupt or biased though :-)), but he probably wasn't, just shite.

Edited by stactuso85

Wasn't talking about TV replays, just venting about the ref. He was petty and at times one-sided. Like a yellow.

It's funny how scared some people are at the though that some officials may actually be corrupt or biased though :-)), but he probably wasn't, just shite.

If they were corrupt, Holland wouldn't have had Martins Indi sent off after 15 minutes for a minor kick out against Iceland.

Having a player 'cautioned unfairly' or a close offside call not given isn't bias - it's a split second judgement which sometimes (or in this campaign, slightly more so) goes against us.

You're right, looking back I could have worded my first post better, it just made me laugh how eager he was to dish out a needless yellow (imo) for a foul minutes after we scored. As for split second decisions, some folk around me were adamant the linesman was not up with play, daydreaming like our defence.

Video replays? Used to be against them, not so much now. The extra officials introduced to stand behind the goals seem to be useless so either go all the way or don't bother.

You're right, looking back I could have worded my first post better, it just made me laugh how eager he was to dish out a needless yellow (imo) for a foul minutes after we scored. As for split second decisions, some folk around me were adamant the linesman was not up with play, daydreaming like our defence.

Video replays? Used to be against them, not so much now. The extra officials introduced to stand behind the goals seem to be useless so either go all the way or don't bother.

Brown was booked before the Fletcher goal and it was a pretty bad foul on Lewandowski, deserved his yellow.

Thought the ref wasn't the best, but couldn't argue with the majority of his decisions.

As for the injury time, 4 minutes wasn't outrageous considering both sides made 3 subs each and there was a fanny on the pitch that held the game up.

Edited by Lion Rampant

Please discuss. The rugby World Cup is on and the referee has the option of speaking to a 4th official to check if an offence has been committed,using video replay. If the team Captain could challenge the referee's decision up to three times during a match, the outcome of games would be much fairer. I thought the 1st Polish goal was offside last night and Walters goal in Dublin was definetly offside. If these decisions had been challenged, Scotland would be 4 points better off, Poland 2 points worse off, and Ireland would be 2 points worse off.

You do know that if the goal had been chopped off at the start,the match wouldn't have played out how it did,aye?

If anyone doesn't believe corrupt officials aren't part of the game they couldn't have paid attention to the decisions that got Japan to the quarters and South Korea to the semi-final of the WC they co-hosted. Many other sports effectively use Hawkeye et cetera to determine outcomes. The sooner football does it the better. A balance can be found.

Am no asking for loads of good luck just no more feckin bad luck please!

Two offside goals that impacted on the result of two games, chop them off and our group takes on a should new complexion.

Yes we should've despatched Georgia and didn't. Yes we should've been better when twice led Poland but weren't but we just don't need bad breaks like that on top of our own shortcomings.

I'm normally pretty quick to find fault with refs (sitting watching John Lacey hand the All Blacks points at Tongas expense- terrible referee) but I don't think the ref had a bad game last night. The foul brown committed was a yellow all day long! (I was watching the Germany game at the time of the Ritchie "foul", so can't comment).

Would love to see video replays in football, the fact that are not already, particularly in this day and age with all the top end tech is ridiculous.

Having repays would restore some of the faith I've lost in game over the years, I am sure that would be the case with many other supporters of all teams and countries.

Why anyone wouldn't want to ensure a game plays out in a true and honest fashion is beyond me. The stakes are too high and the pain can be too much to bear when decisions go wrong.

Do we really want to miss out on qualifying for a World Cup or Euro Championships, or see a World Cup or Champions League Final won and lost due to a wrong decision, surely no fan would want that.

To make matters worse, cheats are often rewarded with wrong decisions, ie diving for penalties, again surely no real fan of the game wishes cheats to have an easy platform to practice their devious intentions.

Video replays will become the norm before long so why not embrace them sooner rather than later and put and end to dodgy decisions and heartache.