Condolences From Ireland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Condolences From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to offer my genuine condolences to Scottish fans. Last night must be a bitter pill to swallow but you'll bounce back. If "Wee Gordon" sorts out your defence you can certainly challenge for a play off in the next campaign. Not all but I think most of you got a little bit carried away with the optimism last year over the fact you lost to Germany and drew with the Poles and managed to pass the ball a bit which was understandable to be honest. To the genuine Tartan Army fans I'm genuinely sorry and would have loved to have drank with you in France (if we make it obviously)

However to the bitter Scots on here who calls us "pish" (4 points against the world champions.. Yeah we're "pish" alright" I find some of the bitters completely judged us on one game in Parkhead and just decided we weren't up to much. I laughed at one lad who posted here last night "Scotland are still better".. Well I'm not one to gloat but the table doesn't lie and rose tinted glasses must be selling by the bucket load in parts of Scotland. One person posted "ach pish the cannae only beat Germany with a long ball" Didn't Scotland draw with Poland last year with a long ball? Short memories and all that. The way a minority go on here you'd swear Scotland had revolutionised the way the game was played last year. I predicted even after our game in June when I was told by some Scot "we'll send you a postcard next summer" that the wheels would come off the Scottish cart and they most certainly did. The postcard that lad will be sending me will be from the. Lake District now.

To the genuine Scots I'm sincerely sorry for you and wanted you in France to the bitter ones I can only laugh.

You off supporting NI in France next summer ?

If you want to dissect every goal or major incident in every game, what about the offside opener in Dublin? Or even the blatant red card for one of the clearest elbows I've ever seen? That game should have been 0-0 at half-time and over an hour against ten men!

I think a few of the "bitter" Scots are basing the fact that Ireland are pish on our two games. Take nothing away from them for results elsewhere but they WERE pish against us. Tried to bully us for a game and a half and the only time they had us under sustained pressure was by lumping it 60 yards in the latter stages of the game in Dublin. Which, by the way, proved to be food and drink for our centre halves.

I'm happy to come across as bitter and I hope Poland seal their trip tomorrow and Ireland get papped oot in the playoffs so that the OP can enjoy the huge egg he's getting on his coupon!!!

Fully agree with the poster above we were dirt against Scotland in both games and in others during the campaign. We also got some last minute goals such as McGeady away to Georgia and O'Shea away to Germany which when you are an average side like we are then you need this sort of luck. We were very fortunate to get a draw against Scotland in Dublin also but we were always gonna need some luck, Scotland didn't get as much as us maybe and in the end we have finished above you lot.

Make no mistake there is very little between Scotland and Ireland and I still can't believe we lost 4 points to you lot yet took 4 points off the world champs.

I really hope Scotland make a major tournament soon, your fans are top drawer and I know we aren't there yet but hopefully we can finish off the job tomorrow night.

All the best lads.

I don't think we can call anybody pish when we are incapable ourselves of trapping a ball, or stringing more than 3 passes together.

I'm glad we have tried to play a passing game, but we need to learn the basics. If we could retain the ball it would take the pressure off our back line to an extent. But we also need a decent centre half, our defending is criminal at times. I think the reason Ireland struggled to score against us is because they were the only team that don't play with the ball on the deck

Teams play in different ways and garner different results.

Ireland's defence is more secure than ours hence they kept matches tight against Poland and Germany enabling them to get more results of note in those matches. Against us it never worked. Mentally, they were stronger than us hence able to pull last gasp results/goals out of the bag whilst we were the opposite. That may be because they have more belief - natural as a number of their squad have played in a major tournament or pkay-offs before unlike ours who have only experience of qualification failure.

Football doesn't reward the teams on entertainment or style value - look at Greece who won the Euros playing damned ugly stuff or Holland sides of the 70s who were pleasing on the eye. Likewise Brazil are not perrenial winners even though they are regarded as entertainment personified.

What a bitter thread.

They got at least a play off,we didn't.

We aren't good enough.

Get over it.

Loving all the hatred directed at the op though. It's laughable. :lol:

Spot on :ok:

Our last 3 matches, we have achieved 1 point out of a possible of 9 and that includes 2 home games and an away against Georgia.

We only have ourselves to blame.

Simply. Not. Good. Enough. :(

They are a truly awful football team.it makes our failure more difficult.

Ireland are? We are hard to beat and it's not pretty for sure but I'm sure you would swap positions with us for the sake of playing good football or not, I know which one I would choose, like I said already 2 very average teams and something had to give, we happened to get results against the top seed which you lot failed to do and beat Georgia away which you lot failed to do, small margins at the end of the day and I can see why Scotland fans are sick cos we are a very average side but you're no better than that yourselves.

I just want to offer my genuine condolences to Scottish fans. Last night must be a bitter pill to swallow but you'll bounce back. If "Wee Gordon" sorts out your defence you can certainly challenge for a play off in the next campaign. Not all but I think most of you got a little bit carried away with the optimism last year over the fact you lost to Germany and drew with the Poles and managed to pass the ball a bit which was understandable to be honest. To the genuine Tartan Army fans I'm genuinely sorry and would have loved to have drank with you in France (if we make it obviously)

However to the bitter Scots on here who calls us "pish" (4 points against the world champions.. Yeah we're "pish" alright" I find some of the bitters completely judged us on one game in Parkhead and just decided we weren't up to much. I laughed at one lad who posted here last night "Scotland are still better".. Well I'm not one to gloat but the table doesn't lie and rose tinted glasses must be selling by the bucket load in parts of Scotland. One person posted "ach pish the cannae only beat Germany with a long ball" Didn't Scotland draw with Poland last year with a long ball? Short memories and all that. The way a minority go on here you'd swear Scotland had revolutionised the way the game was played last year. I predicted even after our game in June when I was told by some Scot "we'll send you a postcard next summer" that the wheels would come off the Scottish cart and they most certainly did. The postcard that lad will be sending me will be from the. Lake District now.

To the genuine Scots I'm sincerely sorry for you and wanted you in France to the bitter ones I can only laugh.

Good luck on Sunday pal. I hope you get through.

Good luck to them. They pumped Germany, they deserve to qualify.

We pumped France twice in the euro 2008 campaign and still failed to qualify because we slipped up to Georgia. Moral of the story: Sort out our complacent mentality and beat the teams we're supposed to beat!

We pumped France twice in the euro 2008 campaign and still failed to qualify because we slipped up to Georgia. Moral of the story: Sort out our complacent mentality and beat the teams we're supposed to beat!

Look through the years and that trait is in the Scottish psyche:-

Zaire in 1974 (not enough goals against them)

Iran in 1978 (only a draw when a win was a must and cost us dearly)

New Zealand in 1982 (again not enough goals against them and two goal conceded cost us)

Costa Rica in 1990 (beaten by the minnows)

And that is just the World Cups. Look into the qualifying campaigns and there are several more instances and it stretches back throughout our history even with legends in the side.

No one here is showing hatred towards the irish.I think they are an awful football team and from that sense our own demise is hard to take.same could be said for northern Ireland and the level of player that they have at their disposal.it's just so,so disappointing.I think we have played well at times in this campaign and some of our play and goals have been really decent.we are no good in a scrap but could have done enough against other opposition.I just dont know where we are at and fail to recognise that we are completely pish.

Edited by allyc

I think Scotland have tried to play decent passing football and be more thoughtful. Some of our football has been very good at times. Our defence is naïve against top teams. Ultimately it is how you see the game. Strachan seems to want more possession and high quality pass and move. Martin O'Neil seems more pragmatic and sends Ireland out to battle like warriors and hoof the ball forward rather than tip tap about. Maybe he is correct? It may take Ireland to the finals but not sure you can progress much further. Strachan has improved Scotland and Scotland do look like a half decent team a lot of the time. But both ourselves and Ireland don't have that one magic player who can win games from nothing. I don't see how Ireland can improve much but I can see Scotland improving. Good luck to Ireland in the last game and I do hope they make it. For us it is not the end of the world. I'm looking forward to the next campaign.

If you took away the 2 players who chose not to play for us, they would be a pretty average team.

Taking away the supply they give Keane for example would have a massive impact on them.

They are vital quality players for them.

Hate to say it, but we could really have done with them 2 in our squad instead of Ireland's.

Edited by jock strap

The ''genuine Scots'' bit at the end actually infuriates me!!

You seem to think its irrelevant whether a fan has been to every game home or away that we're not a genuine Scot or fan if we don't rate Ireland?

Listen to yourself, you were just on here for one last sly dig.

This thread is not doing a lot for relations between the two sets of fans....

If there are fans having a dig, I guess that comes with the situation that's in it. If the situation were reversed between Ireland and Scotland, you'd have a few Scots doing the same thing on YBIG. At best now, they'll only get to commiserate if Ireland fails to qualify as well. I can see why a lot of Scottish fans would not be enthused about Ireland qualifying, as it would mean they'd be the only ones from 'these islands' not to qualify. Misery wants company for Summer 2016.

Edited by Briany